The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-07-2016, 12:47 PM

Default Norman Blake Style Crosspicking

I love norman Blake's flatpicking style and have watched this video about a bazillion times:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Krey-_0-TA

In the opening sequence Norman is playing a C-shape (7th fret capo), playing the melody in the bass strings and using an upstroke on the high E as 'grace notes'.... I've been practicing this style of alternating between the low and high strings and have improved a lot but am nowhere near Norman's speed... Does anybody play in this style and have some tips on how to increase speed?
Old 04-07-2016, 12:51 PM
Charter Member

Default Norman Blake Style Crosspicking

I love the style but it's a bit beyond my skill and focus at present. Homespun has two volumes on Blake. I have both. Send me PM if you are interested in them.
Old 04-08-2016, 07:50 AM

Technically ks, this style would not be referred to as 'crosspicking' by most advanced flatpickers. That style is a little more precise in that single string picking is employed most or all of the time, maybe occasionally using 'double' or 'triple' stops, as fiddlers would call them. Here's a recent thread about it:
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=425442

The style you refer to, which Norman is a master of (he can also certainly crosspick when he wants to) is referred to Carter-style picking after Maybelle Carter's (Johnny Cash's mother-in-law) style of playing. She used a thumbpick for the bass/melody notes and index finger for higher string rhythm, similar to Lester Flatt. Check Youtube for Wildwood Flower, a Carter Family classic for this style.
Old 04-09-2016, 03:21 PM

Thanks for your replies! So when Norman moves to the 'A' shape (it appears he also frets the 'A' on the low E with his pinky) In this video (00:16):

https://youtu.be/UEkVkJax2Co

would this be considered Carter style or crosspicking? He appears to arpeggiate the chord.
Old 04-09-2016, 03:42 PM

I have quite a few pretty accurate transcriptions of Norman Blake tunes and the one thing they have in common is that they lay out very logically and tend to stay in or close to chord shapes. The real challenge is to get the nuance as the left and right hand parts are not that physically demanding. Good place to start is with his two DVD set from Homespun where you get some real insights into his playing.
Old 04-16-2016, 11:46 AM

That's a lot like the way I have been playing (only, well, way better) although I couldn't begin to identify it with a name. I've been doing a lot of rhythm work with the Vermont Fiddle Orchestra and the worst thing for a rhythm section is to fall into the jangajanga guitar trap. Most of the tunes are contradance, Quebecois and Scandinavian rhythms. Some are sprightly - around 200 bpm. Most are slower.

I've developed a flatpicking style that focuses mostly on the lowest four strings, relies heavily on using the low E and A strings as bassline and, I suppose, cross picks the middle strings for the rhythm. I have a large guitar and so the low end will really cook if I encourage it to, and this is the perfect opportunity. Not many instruments are hanging around the same frequency area other than the other guitars; their styles are each different. One is a master fingerstylist who uses fingerpicks and a thumbpick; two are somewhat quiet strummers and one is a solid flatpick rhythm player who strums more than I do. So it works.

I'm finding that more and more my flatpicking style involves finger movement, pulling the pick up and down. This lessens the movement of my arm and allows me a faster response. Most tunes demand a blend between finger and arm movement that I expect changes with every tune. If I try to analyze it when playing, it all falls apart and I can't remember anything. When it works, it's almost a subconscious thing that blurs the distinctions between a lead and a rhythm line.
Gold Tone open back banjo
Anon. mountain dulcimer
Creaky old Framus 5/1 50
About 1/2 of Guitar One completed; currently intimidating me on account of the neck geometry.
Stacks of mahogany, spruce, maritime rosewood, western red cedar
Expensive sawdust

Last edited by CaffeinatedOne; 04-16-2016 at 11:58 AM.
Old 04-17-2016, 02:30 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by kswilson89 View Post
I love norman Blake's flatpicking style and have watched this video about a bazillion times:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Krey-_0-TA

In the opening sequence Norman is playing a C-shape (7th fret capo), playing the melody in the bass strings and using an upstroke on the high E as 'grace notes'.... I've been practicing this style of alternating between the low and high strings and have improved a lot but am nowhere near Norman's speed... Does anybody play in this style and have some tips on how to increase speed?
get yourself a nice flexible flatpick and just crosspick, crosspick and crosspick a whole lot more within those basic chords 1/5/4 progressions : try the bass note/on the changes with downstokes to start
It is I think easier to reproduce some of this higher up the neck where the frets are closer and the changes faster/ more fluid.
Dear old Mr Blake throws in a fair amount of strums sort of Carter style to break up the crosspicking - although its not quite so simplistic, because he is just a one off, altogether rhythmically amazing... but to me it looks as though the crosspicking holds the melodies together and the strums are a kind of timing meter, if that makes any sense!
I recommend also listening to Clarence White/ watch him too...crosspicking master brilliant x 1000
all best RobinH
Old 04-18-2016, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinh2706 View Post
I recommend also listening to Clarence White/ watch him too...crosspicking master brilliant x 1000
all best RobinH
Clarence White was the Original Flatpicking Master - every time I listen to him there's something else in there I can learn.
Gold Tone open back banjo
Anon. mountain dulcimer
Creaky old Framus 5/1 50
About 1/2 of Guitar One completed; currently intimidating me on account of the neck geometry.
Stacks of mahogany, spruce, maritime rosewood, western red cedar
Expensive sawdust

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write