The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 12-19-2009, 10:37 AM

Default K&K PWM in a T5

I am moving closer to putting a PWM in my T5 for a better acoustic sound (yes, I understand that is subjective). I was talking to the owner of the guitar shop I use a lot about it. Ken is very knowledgeable and generally only speaks of what he knows.

The question is does the T5 come with a stereo end pin but only hooked up mono by Taylor to the installed system? So could I hook the PWM up stereo to the existing end pin the use a Y cable to split the PWM and Taylor outputs? Would I need to get a stereo end pin and wire both the PWM and the Taylor into the new end pin?

thanks

Jack

1975 Mossman Great
1995 Taylor LKSM-12
2008 Taylor Fall Ltd GC
2008 Applegate C Nylon Crossover
Fender Stratocaster - Eric Johnson Model
Nyberg Cittern
2011 Eastman AC508M
2012 Epiphone ES339
Old 12-19-2009, 11:12 AM

The K&K has a very low impedance, the Taylor is more electric than acoustic with a very complicated pick up system and will have a much higher impedance. Even if you could combo them the resulting benefit to the mix would likely be minimal if not corrupt all together. I do not think you will be able to find many if any tech to take something like that on. I had a switch issue with one and it was very difficult to find a tech who would even discuss looking at it. I ended up getting a referral from Taylor and he was hesitant to open her up. Your best bet is to find an external pedal or appliance to address the tone issue.
Kids got the others

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=797065
Old 12-19-2009, 11:31 AM

I agree with Michael T. Another thing to consider is this: K&K Pure Western Mini pickups are very good at accurately representing the unplugged tone of a guitar.

So, the question you should ask yourself is: How is the unplugged tone of my T5?

I've never heard of anyone installing a K&K in a guitar made solely to be amplified. Doesn't mean it won't work... If you decide to go ahead, I would love to hear your comments.

Hope this helps.
David
David's CDs
Old 12-19-2009, 05:08 PM

I'm think that there may not be enough wood vibrating tone as on an acoustic for the K&K... I was sticking the K&K all over my Yamaha Silent guitar and wasn't happening,,, less wood and thicker I know than the T5 ... just typing outloud here.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 12-19-2009, 06:22 PM

Doesn't the K&K work by picking up the top vibrations through the bridge plate? It's not like it's truly amplifying the "unplugged sound" of the guitar including the body air like a microphone would.

If the T5 vibrates the top through the bridgeplate like that of a full body acoustic, it seems like it should work regardless of how the thinner bodied guitar itself actually sounds unplugged. My Koa model sounds pretty good unplugged. It's just that the volume is very low compared to a full body guitar. That is a result of what comes out of the soundholes however, not what's vibrating through the bridgeplate into the top at the beginning of the sound making process.

I would just put its output jack in place of one of the two strapjacks however and do any blending/mixing outboard of the guitar. Several folks have done this on T5s with supplemental UST pickups and have been quite pleased with their results.

If you give it a go, please do post your results!

Last edited by Joe F; 12-19-2009 at 06:29 PM.
Old 12-19-2009, 06:54 PM

Agreed with the above. Don't put a K&K in that guitar. They're made for straight acoustic guitars. There are better options for that particular guitar than a K&K. I'd be very skeptical that you wouldn't be fairly disappointed with the results.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:19 AM

Interesting comments. I'm going to have to think about this some more.

My plan was never to mix the two output, but run the K&K to an acoustic amp and the Taylor to an electric amp.

Your thoughts on what kind of sound it would pick up are interesting. I have traded some emails with Deiter at K&K about the proper placement of the transducers. He has been very helpful in annotating pictures I provided with the proper locations. I may get his thoughts on this before I proceed.

Jack

1975 Mossman Great
1995 Taylor LKSM-12
2008 Taylor Fall Ltd GC
2008 Applegate C Nylon Crossover
Fender Stratocaster - Eric Johnson Model
Nyberg Cittern
2011 Eastman AC508M
2012 Epiphone ES339
Old 12-20-2009, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawk View Post
Interesting comments. I'm going to have to think about this some more.

My plan was never to mix the two output, but run the K&K to an acoustic amp and the Taylor to an electric amp.

Your thoughts on what kind of sound it would pick up are interesting. I have traded some emails with Deiter at K&K about the proper placement of the transducers. He has been very helpful in annotating pictures I provided with the proper locations. I may get his thoughts on this before I proceed.

Jack

Dieter should know better than the rest of us. If he thinks the K&K would work well in that guitar perhaps it would after all......as long as he's clear on what type of guitar it is etc...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars