The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-04-2009, 10:14 AM

Default Going down

to one electric guitar, what would you have? My thoughts are that something with both single coil and a humbucker for the versatility. That makes me think of a PRS... what else is out there with that versatility?

Could we say that the Taylor T3 could do the job for a Fender Strat and a Gisbon Les Paul??

(Background is I would like to cut down to only one electric and I have a Les Paul and a Strat)
Old 11-04-2009, 10:30 AM
Charter Member

I've been through too many electrics in the past six months, but my Fender Eric Clapton Strat will outlast them all.....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 11-04-2009, 10:44 AM

Have you tried rondomusic.com ? they offer affordable/quality instrument without the price tag. Just check review online on the Agile series.

You can get a Fat Strat in a HSS combo : humbucker / single coil /single coil. I do not know how familiar you are with electric guitar but Les Paul type guitar will give you a longer sustain then a telecaster/stratocaster type. Single coil also tends to hums unless you have a noise gate or use them in combo with another single coil.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:51 AM
Cocobologist

Fender American Standard Strat. Covers it all...

| '02 814c Custom (Coco/Sitka) | '03 912ce Custom (Coco/Engelmann)| '06 K65ce | '17 J45 Std. | '10 Breedlove Revival OM DLX (EIR/Adi) | Lots of electrics...
Old 11-04-2009, 11:05 AM

I would stay with a classic; either a Gibson or a Fender, especially since you already have them. Get rid of them BOTH for an "off" brand - not me.

With the proper amp/effect you can always fatten up a single coil, but I don't think your Les Paul will give you clean country twang, if needed. Also, it's more awkward to reach the high frets on the LP.

Conclusion: keep the Strat. Jimi sez high!
Old 11-04-2009, 11:30 AM

I tried the Taylor electrics and did not like them at all. Not a big fan of PRS either. Acting in my official capacity as your therapist, my professional opinion is to keep both the Strat and Lester. I'll see you in my office next Tuesday @ 3 so you can discuss this complete lack of sanity on your part. Until then, play your guitars and apologize to them profusely - they might forgive you...
Old 11-04-2009, 11:31 AM

Hmmm... so no votes to the T3 even though it has single coil and humbucker huh?

FYI I have
- MIM Strat (SSS)
- Les Paul Studio Plus

If I go with the American HSS I feel I will not have the depth and growl of the Gisbon?

I have a VOX AC4TV and a PODxt to home record.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:02 PM

You could consider something like the Michael Kelly Patriot series. A Les Paul style with coil tapped Humbuckers so you can get more twang out of it. The price tag is cheaper that an LP or Strat.

Or you could look at an Agile and mod it for even less.
Fender: '69 Mustang Competition; '91 Stratocaster Plus; '11 Telecaster Standard
Gibson: '11 Les Paul Studio Deluxe 60s
Epiphone: '11 ES 339 Pro
PRS: '07 CE22; '03 Santana SE; '12 Tremonti SE
Bradley: '77 Les Paul Custom
Squier: '99 Precision Bass
Old 11-04-2009, 05:20 PM

My favorite all around guitar is a G&L, Asat Classic Custom!

The redburst guitar on the right is a G&L, Asat Classic Custom

Here's my other ACC I bought after I took the group photo of my other G&L, Asat's

Sprinter
'63 Fender Jazzmaster
'72 Fender Telecaster Bass
'74 Fender Telecaster
Old 11-04-2009, 05:34 PM

Why not just swap out the pickups on you strat with stacked coils and add a coil tapping volume and/or tone pot. LOTS of great choices as for stacked-single coil pickups!!!!!! Both my electrics have them. The Melancon has Seymour Duncan custom wounds and the Robin has Rio Grande TwangBusters. I can get wonderful strat and Les Paul'ish tones from both.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:48 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I'm gonna buck the conventional and suggest not a single-coil but a humbucker guitar that has lots o' versatility: The Gibson ES335. The current lot with the '59 classic humbucker pickups is very bright when you need it and can be moderated easily with the tone controls. You've got everything from bright to dark except the Strat "in between quack" AND you've got the very cool body semi-hollow sound in there as well. It has the capacity to be very sweet and very nasty.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 11-05-2009, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
I'm gonna buck the conventional and suggest not a single-coil but a humbucker guitar that has lots o' versatility: The Gibson ES335. The current lot with the '59 classic humbucker pickups is very bright when you need it and can be moderated easily with the tone controls. You've got everything from bright to dark except the Strat "in between quack" AND you've got the very cool body semi-hollow sound in there as well. It has the capacity to be very sweet and very nasty.

Bob
Very interesting - I would have thought that the 335 wouldn't have that capability. I'll have to try it out this weekend.

I also looked at the PRS Custom 24 yesterday online - it seems to have a versatile voice too? But it didn't sound too different from the Les Paul (not as thick though).

Also, I play a lot of different styles from funky pop to hard rock, so I am looking for something that can sound like the Maroon 5 funk riffs and U2 fat rhythm guitars as well as put the growl that Guns N' Roses has in their albums.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapin View Post
Why not just swap out the pickups on you strat with stacked coils and add a coil tapping volume and/or tone pot. LOTS of great choices as for stacked-single coil pickups!!!!!! Both my electrics have them. The Melancon has Seymour Duncan custom wounds and the Robin has Rio Grande TwangBusters. I can get wonderful strat and Les Paul'ish tones from both.

Or put coil-tap pups in a Les paul. I would personally go the Les Paul route. Gibson also makes the Longhorn, which covers a lot of ground sound wise.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutch View Post
Fender American Standard Strat. Covers it all...
Well put; keep the Strat.

PS: Subject of this thread is a bit misleading.....
Old 11-05-2009, 11:26 AM

New Kramer (owner by Gibson).

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=441241

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars