The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 11-11-2017, 11:41 AM

Default site reading

Started learning to play the guitar 10 years ago, took a lesson or 2 but usually went on my own. So after floundering around I started lessons again a couple months ago, one part is "site reading" , what I thought would be boring I am really enjoying and diving in to now. Anyone else here site read?
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)
Old 11-11-2017, 12:06 PM

Yeah. Been sight reading on various instruments since I was 8. A great skill to have. Keep it up.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele
Old 11-11-2017, 12:08 PM

Sight reading is how music is played. Learning to read music is a huge leap forward in musicianship as you can play with anyone, anytime with music. Congratulations.
Old 11-11-2017, 12:20 PM

I do, and I wish I was better at it! Time to practice.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 11-12-2017, 08:45 PM

Default sight red

I do both but for me, notation is the easiest way to learn a song. Unfortunately, I don't always have the notation available on something I want to learn. When I do, if it's a simple piece, sight read it once through and then it's time to work on the arrangement.

I don't know how folks who learn only by ear manage if they have never heard the song first. And how are they able to remember it quickly? With me it takes lots of times hearing it to remember how something new goes, start to finish. I have also noticed that if I don't play something at least a few times a year, I tend to forget it. No worries like that when you have it out in front of you to sight read.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 11-12-2017, 09:14 PM

I learned sight reading as a kid in orchestra. Later I learned to read site plans as an engineer. I find learning by ear my main method now, but it helps to be able to both read and write notation. Ear training is especially helpful when you learned off a score in D and now you need to play it in C (and don't have a score available in that key). Use your ear (and knowledge of the fretboard) or capo way up....I'm one that's not keen on music stands on stage, unless I'm playing in a big band or orchestra.

Last edited by Mandobart; 11-12-2017 at 09:21 PM.
Old 11-12-2017, 09:57 PM
Charter Member

The problem with sight reading notation for guitar music is that there are multiple places to play the same note, but that aside, it is very challenging to interpret a piece of music correctly solely from the notation without first hearing it. Is that what you are learning Marty also?

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 11-13-2017, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
The problem with sight reading notation for guitar music is that there are multiple places to play the same note, but that aside, it is very challenging to interpret a piece of music correctly solely from the notation without first hearing it. Is that what you are learning Marty also?

Once you get even fairly competent you realize how much easier it is to read a new piece than try to memorize by ear. As s friend of mine said about it: better a dull pencil than a sharp mind.

Plus, after a while you can hear the music in your head when you look at the notation. It's the best of both worlds.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele
Old 11-13-2017, 09:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty bradbury View Post
Started learning to play the guitar 10 years ago, took a lesson or 2 but usually went on my own. So after floundering around I started lessons again a couple months ago, one part is "site reading" , what I thought would be boring I am really enjoying and diving in to now. Anyone else here site read?
I started sight reading (i.e., standard music notation) at age 5 on the piano, age 8 on the clarinet, age 12 on the guitar and added a few other stringed instruments during my teenage years (some standard notation, some TAB).

I've always enjoyed sight reading, either solo or in ensembles.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Hi Barry. I find that if i haven't heard the piece before then its easier to play with notation as it gives you the beat and of course the notes. The timing being the key here as you don't get that with tabs,
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)
Old 11-14-2017, 12:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty bradbury View Post
Hi Barry. I find that if i haven't heard the piece before then its easier to play with notation as it gives you the beat and of course the notes. The timing being the key here as you don't get that with tabs,
I only use tab with notation over the top. The "bare bones" tabs are useless to me.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 11-14-2017, 05:23 PM

Learn to read bass clef, and buy yourself a bass and learn it. You'll get more work than you know what to do with.
Old 11-16-2017, 11:15 AM

I disagree. I have never completed my site reading and many of the most famous musicians can't site read yet they are praised and respected for their music ability and I am learning and playing pieces just fine.

To site read is an awesome skill to have, but not necessarily equate to you playing better, learning easier, and so on. There is more to it than how you learn the music itself.
Old 11-16-2017, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingerguy View Post
I disagree. I have never completed my site reading and many of the most famous musicians can't site read yet they are praised and respected for their music ability and I am learning and playing pieces just fine.

To site read is an awesome skill to have, but not necessarily equate to you playing better, learning easier, and so on. There is more to it than how you learn the music itself.
Here it is right on cue. Every time a discussion starts on any subject that touches on formal music training someone pops up with "what about the great players that can't/don't/won't XYZ?" Yes, of course, we can always find exceptions (that's why we call them exceptional). But 97% of us here are not exceptional, and we can benefit from every tool available. No you don't have to be able to sight read notation, or tab, or chord sheets, or know the names of any notes. You don't have to be able to play different inversions up the neck. You don't have to know ANY scales. For that matter D'jango, Jerry Garcia and Tony Iommi showed us you don't even need all your fingers to play well. Everyone is free to choose which tools and skills they want to ignore. But I have never become a worse musician by learning new skills.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:48 PM

Music notation is nothing more than the written language of music. It is possible to speak the language fluently without being able to read it, but until you do, communicating with other musicians who speak that language is going to be limited. I strongly recommend learning to read standard music notation. Once you do, it will translate comfortably to almost every instrument. (I say almost because I'm not aware of how some instruments, a didgeridoo, for instance, would be notated.)

cotten

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic