The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 10-29-2017, 05:33 PM
Charter Member

PS. You may be weak but you sure have great taste!
Cheers
Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 10-29-2017, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looburst View Post
Both beauties are really something to behold. Congrats!
Thank you, I feel very happy with what I got and the guys I got them from. The latter means a lot to me actually!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
I had the pleasure to audition them both...

Congratulations Tom...
Thanks Bob, you are a guy that knows guitars, that is for sure. Glad we had at least a little time to talk this year. BTW, the guitar of the show for me was this little BRW beauty I played Saturday morning...unfortunately it was sold already! That little Sexauer is amazing!
Old 10-29-2017, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
PS. You may be weak but you sure have great taste!
Cheers
Paul

As do you fine sir! I do think I stumble across some fine instruments somehow!!!
Old 10-29-2017, 06:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
I had the pleasure to audition them both...

Congratulations Tom...
I like how you started off all strong and “I’m not gonna buy” and then ended up with two the next day. I guess that’s only an average of one per day.

I love that EIR. Really cool.

Martin OM28 (European Spruce/EIR)
Collings OM3A (Adirondack/EIR)
Greven OOO (Lutz/Brazilian)
Greven OO (Lutz/Maple)
ARK Senorita S6-12 (Adirondack/Mahogany)
Circa OOO-12 (European Spruce/Mun Ebony)
Old 10-29-2017, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bho View Post
I like how you started off all strong and “I’m not gonna buy” and then ended up with two the next day. I guess that’s only an average of one per day.

I love that EIR. Really cool.
HAHA, that is sort of how it happened....my SO guessed 3 so I am OK on that front too coming in one short of her expectations!!!!!!!!!!! LOL
Old 10-29-2017, 06:19 PM

Yeah, it's pretty special when you connect with the builders themselves.
Old 10-30-2017, 12:12 AM
AGF Sponsor

Your Ben Wilborn guitar makes great use of the single nicest looking set of EIR I have ever seen . . . And Ben says he has another sister set!

So glad to have finally met you, Tom!
Old 10-30-2017, 03:29 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Congrats Tom! What a difference a day makes. Two beauties! I have to say that 00 was special. Didn’t play the Wilborn but I’m sure it’s nice if you decided in 5 minutes.

As always, enjoyed my time with you.
Old 10-30-2017, 03:34 AM
Charter Member

Ah, you got the Ellie Belle. That was my favorite guitar in the show. I saw Ben play it and the Lion on Friday. They are such beautiful guitars and the sound that comes out is just thrilling. Ben seems like the nicest guy, he names his guitars after his children, and he's a darn good player. He opened his performance with John Prine's ''Unwed Fathers'' and he did a great job explaining about his guitars. He explained about the sound port, comparing it to pouring ''soup'' out of the can when you use a church key; if you put only one hole the sound comes out, glug, glug, Glug, put two holes and it will flow out.

Great guy, great guitars. Congratulation on both of you new ones. Enjoy them!
Old 10-30-2017, 05:08 AM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
As do you fine sir! I do think I stumble across some fine instruments somehow!!!
Congrats Tom!! Looks like you came away with not one but two rewards for your hard work. Just wish i could have been there to hear those beauties. They both look awesome, and I'm certain they sound awesome or you wouldn't have bought them in the first place. Happy for you!

And...regarding "stumbling" across fine instruments, all I can say is excess capital tends to have very good eyes

Woody (aka: Mike)

FOR SALE: Kinnaird Brazilian!!
Old 10-30-2017, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
Your Ben Wilborn guitar makes great use of the single nicest looking set of EIR I have ever seen . . . And Ben says he has another sister set!

So glad to have finally met you, Tom!

Wow Bruce, for you to say that with all of the wood you have passed through your talented hands means a lot to me. Did he tell you the funny story about how he ran across that wood...if not, it is a great tell for another time haha!
Old 10-30-2017, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
Congrats Tom! What a difference a day makes. Two beauties! I have to say that 00 was special. Didn’t play the Wilborn but I’m sure it’s nice if you decided in 5 minutes.

As always, enjoyed my time with you.
Same here Dennis, between your networking and your name tag haha, my Saturday was a 100 fold better than it would have been without you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
Ah, you got the Ellie Belle. That was my favorite guitar in the show. I saw Ben play it and the Lion on Friday. They are such beautiful guitars and the sound that comes out is just thrilling. Ben seems like the nicest guy, he names his guitars after his children, and he's a darn good player. He opened his performance with John Prine's ''Unwed Fathers'' and he did a great job explaining about his guitars. He explained about the sound port, comparing it to pouring ''soup'' out of the can when you use a church key; if you put only one hole the sound comes out, glug, glug, Glug, put two holes and it will flow out.

Great guy, great guitars. Congratulation on both of you new ones. Enjoy them!
Oh that is great. I love the feedback, I feel like I found a great one, but to hear someone else say so that makes me feel all that much better. AND yes, he seems like a super guy, which as I mentioned does mean a lot to me. Those are the kind of people I want to do business with! I wish I would have seen him play it, he is a great player too!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by invguy921 View Post
Congrats Tom!! Looks like you came away with not one but two rewards for your hard work. Just wish i could have been there to hear those beauties. They both look awesome, and I'm certain they sound awesome or you wouldn't have bought them in the first place. Happy for you!

And...regarding "stumbling" across fine instruments, all I can say is excess capital tends to have very good eyes
I don't think I would use the word excess haha, but I have been saving knowing I was going to the show. I wish you would have been there, for you, your head might have exploded with all the guitars there!!!!! And yes, they both a stellar in the sound department.

Last edited by TomB'sox; 10-30-2017 at 11:41 AM.
Old 10-30-2017, 06:31 AM

Default this weekend

Sorry Tom and Dennis, I was there both days and missed both of you. It seems like with only 2 rooms that couldn't happen - maybe I spent too much time looking at guitars and not at people. I came home as empty-handed as I'd expected, then found out that my wife had figured that I would get something new. Actually there were temptations, but none were exactly how I would have wanted them had I ordered them. But I know where they came from!

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 10-30-2017, 12:08 PM

Yes, sorry we missed you also, that is weird and Dennis had a huge AGF banner on his ample chest too.....I hope you had fun...you obviously have more will power than myself.
Old 10-30-2017, 12:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Yes, sorry we missed you also, that is weird and Dennis had a huge AGF banner on his ample chest too.....I hope you had fun...you obviously have more will power than myself.
I lucked out this year and successfully ran into Dennis, Roland and Tom.... But I have had other years where somehow we pass like ships in the night...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop