The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-07-2017, 06:36 PM

I’ve got a spare set of Martin Retro Monel Mediums , (billed as “bringing out the true woody sound of your guitar”)
I might try them on the X7 next , see if they bring out the true carbony sound,
but I’m too tight/lazy to change the factory set before they’re clapped out.
They sound and feel pretty good for now.
Old 10-07-2017, 08:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
I’ve got a spare set of Martin Retro Monel Mediums , (billed as “bringing out the true woody sound of your guitar”)
I might try them on the X7 next , see if they bring out the true carbony sound,
but I’m too tight/lazy to change the factory set before they’re clapped out.
They sound and feel pretty good for now.
The Martin Lifespans I put on the X20 are kinda meh - not sure how long I can live with that. Or maybe I just wanna play with the power winder!

I'm going to remember "carbony" for the next wine tasting we do (the Blonde likes those)... "Do you have anything carbony? Perhaps a Chateau Epoxy?"
Old 10-08-2017, 07:23 PM

I've been using Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze mediums on my X20 for a few years now. I like them, and they last like coated strings, at least with my particular skin chemistry.
Old 10-26-2017, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
TThe uber-short scale of the X7 really needs a medium gage string. The lights are just too floppy.
I whole-heartedly concur. I use mediums (or even 14s, when I can find 'em) on my X7. When I first got it, it came with lights, and I was getting a lot of weird slap-back-type noise from the hollow neck. This went away entirely when I switched to stouter strings, and it also gives me a more reasonable tension on the short scale.
Old 10-26-2017, 01:21 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsman View Post
I whole-heartedly concur. I use mediums (or even 14s, when I can find 'em) on my X7. When I first got it, it came with lights, and I was getting a lot of weird slap-back-type noise from the hollow neck. This went away entirely when I switched to stouter strings, and it also gives me a more reasonable tension on the short scale.
bsman, because you refer to the hollow neck, I’m assuming your X7 is a first generation model. My first Chimaera was like that and I know exactly what you’re talking about by that noise. I didn’t like it at all which is why I worked with Alistair to upgrade when he modified all guitars to solid necks with truss rods. I’m pointing this out so those new to Emeralds don’t think it’s still an issue, because it’s not.
Old 10-26-2017, 01:30 PM

I'm enjoying lights (EJ11 80/20 lights) on my (new) X7 Artisan.

In fact, I play it mostly in double drop D tuning (which gives even less tension) and like the sound. Emeralds seem to have the Drop D drone embedded in their Irish DNA.
Old 10-26-2017, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
bsman, because you refer to the hollow neck, I’m assuming your X7 is a first generation model. My first Chimaera was like that and I know exactly what you’re talking about by that noise. I didn’t like it at all which is why I worked with Alistair to upgrade when he modified all guitars to solid necks with truss rods. I’m pointing this out so those new to Emeralds don’t think it’s still an issue, because it’s not.

You are correct - mine was at the 2010 NAMM show, so it was definitely 1st generation - and ‘old skool’ model, if you please! That’s one of the reasons I so much want one of the new models with the offset soundhole and flat top!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber