The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 11-13-2017, 09:45 AM

Default high E string buzzing

I have a Martin DRS2 I bought earlier in the year, around April. I've been playing it as-is, (no other setup than how it came) and it's been good, until yesterday, when I noticed some buzzing on the high E string when fretted in the 3rd fret and the 4th fret.

I'm not an expert... just a casual player... I looked down the neck and it looked straight, but when I looked at the amount of distance there is between high E string and the fret wires, it did seem very low. I don't remember how it looked before when I didn't have the buzz so I'm not sure how close the string should be to the frets.... but it seems very close (obviously, cause the buzzing is there.)

Basic knowledge of geometry tells me, if I can heighten the saddle a bit, it should solve the problem, but not sure if this is something I should go about messing around on my own. Do they sell "standard" size saddle for a given model on a guitar. I can call Martin perhaps and find out...

Another thing that occurred to me is that the weather turned cold for the first time since I got the guitar this spring. Perhaps that has something to do with it? When I looked down the neck, it looked straight, as I mentioned above, not much different from how I remember when I looked down the neck when I first got it. But could there have been some back ending... just enough as to be not visible, but enough to cause buzzing? If so, how bad is it if I got one of those allen wrenches I see on Amazon and tried tweaking with it?

I may end up taking it to a guitar shop but was wondering what advice I might get from the forum.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:52 AM

What is the relative humidity where you store your guitar?

It might simply be that as the humidity has dropped, the top has flattened, lowering the string height. If the humidity is too low, you run the risk of damage to the instrument.

If the humidity level is within an acceptable range, around 45% or higher, you can shim the saddle to raise the string height at the bridge. If the neck bow is correct, don't play with the truss rod.

If you are unsure about these things, take your guitar to a qualified repair person for a setup/assessment. Chose one that will allow you to ask questions so that you can learn about shimming a saddle, adjusting the truss rod - and when it is appropriate to do so.
Old 11-13-2017, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
What is the relative humidity where you store your guitar?

It might simply be that as the humidity has dropped, the top has flattened, lowering the string height. If the humidity is too low, you run the risk of damage to the instrument.
Yes, I think this is the most likely scenario. I've never owned a solid wood guitar before this one. I will have to get something to measure the humidity. If it turns out the humidity is low, what do I do? Get a humidifier and keep it next to the guitar? I keep my guitar out on a stand because I play it everyday so don't feel like putting it in an out of the case. Or is that a better practice I should get into? And get one of those humidifier things that go in the sound hole?
Old 11-13-2017, 11:34 AM

Don't know where you are, but as many parts around where I am are cold, we got the heat on inside, and that can dry up the air considerably... It is a pain but unless you can keep the entire room where the guitar is at around 45%RH, the best bet is to keep it in the case with a case humidifier of some sort. You may find once the guitar has re-acclimated to the proper humidity that no adjustment may be necessary.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieAtienza View Post
Don't know where you are, but as many parts around where I am are cold, we got the heat on inside, and that can dry up the air considerably... It is a pain but unless you can keep the entire room where the guitar is at around 45%RH, the best bet is to keep it in the case with a case humidifier of some sort. You may find once the guitar has re-acclimated to the proper humidity that no adjustment may be necessary.

In NY. Heater is on in the house. I don’t have anything that measures humidity so I don’t know if I am below 45%. But I’m going to get one of those guitar humidifiers and store the guitar in its case and see what that does.

I was think about getting this one. Any thought or recommendations from you guys?

Music Nomad MN300 Humitar Acoustic Guitar Humidifier

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DKAQGTG..._e0McAb9DZE7D1

Also, is there a specific kind of hydrometer that I should put in the case?
Old 11-27-2017, 10:38 AM

Indeed, it was the lack of humidity in the house. I didn’t know that low humidity can cause the top to cave in (losing its bulge, therefore lowering the bridge) which does explain the buzz on the high E.

I am keeping the guitar in the case now with a sound hole humidifier. The humidity in the case reads at about 50 and the guitar is back to normal.
Old 11-27-2017, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyRacc00n View Post
Indeed, it was the lack of humidity in the house. I didn’t know that low humidity can cause the top to cave in (losing its bulge, therefore lowering the bridge) which does explain the buzz on the high E.

I am keeping the guitar in the case now with a sound hole humidifier. The humidity in the case reads at about 50 and the guitar is back to normal.

Better to keep in the case anyway. I can't tell you how many times I've had a guitar on a stand or a wall hook, and something stupid happens. Like when we had a huge rain storm a long while ago, that caused a leak in the roof, that compromised the wood lathe in the ceiling, sending 1" thick chunks of plaster and structolite through the sides of a guitar.
Old 11-27-2017, 11:48 AM

Hey RockyR,

Since this conversation included humidity, you might want to read my info on guitar humidification and care here:

http://www.handcraftedguitars.ca/201...9/guitar-care/

Another couple points...

It is possible to use a shim (hardwood is best) under the saddle with no detrimental affect on sound if there is slight seasonal action change due to humidity. That said, it is best to avoid geometry change of the guitar by consistent humidity.

You may also want a QUALIFIED pro (and I know, WE are hard to find - I still see guitars that have been mangled by other "pros" in this province, like a fellow who pinned a jazz guitar bridge 1.3 cm (yes CENTIMETRES) too far from the neck, rendering EVERY FRETTED NOTE FLAT).

(Now that I got that out of my system...) A qualified pro will be able to show you the ideal adjustment for your truss rod. And he/she will be able to check your frets and provide you with a shim as needed.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 11-27-2017, 11:50 AM

Oh... And your description of a buzz on the 4th and 5th fret 1st string suggests the 6th fret is high, or there is a kink in your string near 6th fret. A "fret rocker" (ie: short true straight edge) can help you with this assessment.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 11-27-2017, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieAtienza View Post

Better to keep in the case anyway. I can't tell you how many times I've had a guitar on a stand or a wall hook, and something stupid happens. Like when we had a huge rain storm a long while ago, that caused a leak in the roof, that compromised the wood lathe in the ceiling, sending 1" thick chunks of plaster and structolite through the sides of a guitar.
True... but I do miss having it out so I can take a quick look and play as I am going about stuff around the house. But yeah... in the case for sure now that I am more educated about guitar maintenance.

Ned. Thank you for the info. The only place I know that has a guitar tech is a local Sam Ash store and they wanted to keep my guitar for a week because the guy isn't there all the time. Is a week typical? Maybe I should check the nearest Guitar Center... But on a visual inspection, it looked very straight to me.
Old 11-28-2017, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyRacc00n View Post
True... but I do miss having it out so I can take a quick look and play as I am going about stuff around the house. But yeah... in the case for sure now that I am more educated about guitar maintenance.

Ned. Thank you for the info. The only place I know that has a guitar tech is a local Sam Ash store and they wanted to keep my guitar for a week because the guy isn't there all the time. Is a week typical? Maybe I should check the nearest Guitar Center... But on a visual inspection, it looked very straight to me.
1 week is typical. Don't be concerned about that.

But I have no suggestion at how to help you determine if the tech they have is fine or not.

For me, I think it is best to be able to talk with whoever works on one's own instrument, but that is not always possible.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 11-28-2017, 07:26 AM

Oh... And visually looking along the fretboard won't yield sufficiently detailed information for judgement.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 11-28-2017, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Milburn View Post
Oh... And visually looking along the fretboard won't yield sufficiently detailed information for judgement.

For now, with proper humidification, the guitar sounds good so I’m good with that. Like you said on the previous email, not knowing who the guitar tech is... it’s the main reason why I never bothered to drop it off, let along for a whole week.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair