The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old 11-05-2017, 07:50 PM
1neeto 1neeto is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 583
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
I just checked: there is no requirement to purchase one. Just like guitars. Some folks get Phone Acquistion Syndrome.



That X looks pretty interesting. My wife is trying to get me to update my iPhone 5S. ;-) I don't know, it still works fine.


The saving grace about the 5S is that it has a 64bit processor, so it can at least run the latest iOS. If you use your phone primarily for phone calls, texting, checking email, and the occasional web surfing, then that phone should be fine as long as itís stable.

A lot of people want to stick to their 5 or 5S because of its size. It does fit in your pocket much better than a ďsmallĒ 6. If size is an issue, then perhaps an iPhone SE would be a decent upgrade from the 5S. It has the same specs as the 6S, but the size of the iPhone 5/5S.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-06-2017, 06:49 AM
AX17609 AX17609 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,140
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
If size is an issue, then perhaps an iPhone SE would be a decent upgrade from the 5S. It has the same specs as the 6S, but the size of the iPhone 5/5S.
The SE is brilliant. When Apple markets an SE-sized X, I'll be the first person in line.
__________________
Anyone who says "you can succeed at anything you put your mind to" has never played golf.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-06-2017, 07:05 AM
rokdog49 rokdog49 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 5,044
Default New I Phone Post

I'm not surprised there was nothing posted.
You have to consider the demographic on here. We're still strongly divided over factory-installed pickups or even pickups in acoustic guitars.

"I don't need no new-fangled phone with all that stuff that I don't understand."
__________________
Jamie

_________________
There is positivity in happiness...
...I positively choose to be happy.


Pono D 20 Sunburst SS
Martin D18
Martin OMC-15 ME
Eastman E10 00 Sunburst
Eastman E 6 OM Limited Edition
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-06-2017, 08:33 AM
PorkPieGuy PorkPieGuy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 7,293
Default

I'm not buying another iPhone until they bring back the headphone jack.

Now, get off my lawn.
__________________
www.TheNewRiverDrifters.com
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 11-06-2017, 09:44 AM
Ozzy the dog Ozzy the dog is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Lancashire, England
Posts: 448
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
Lol like you said on your last paragraph; any product is worth what itís worth for the user. My wife believes that certain handbags are definitely worth the four digit sticker price (plus the $500 matching wallet). I cringe because to me, a handbag is just something to put things inside. Just like if she sees a Squier Strat next to a Custom Shop Strat sheís seeing the exact same guitar and will never understand why one is worth $150 and the other $5000. [emoji23]

I personally see the value in my $1100 badly flying, mediocre camera with a phone feature that can fit in my pocket. [emoji13]
In defence of the handbag - they do have a neat pocket inside designed specifically to keep your iPhone X safe and handy.

Plus, if you put an iPhone X in a cheap bag people will just assume it's counterfeit - you wouldn't carry that Custom Shop Strat in a crappy gig bag would you?
__________________
It's hard work being a dog.

https://overendsite.wordpress.com/projects/
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 11-06-2017, 11:22 AM
imwjl imwjl is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: My mom's basement.
Posts: 5,277
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX17609 View Post
The SE is brilliant. When Apple markets an SE-sized X, I'll be the first person in line.
That's exactly as some associates who did the pre-order saw the X. No matter what screen size of an SE is not enough for them. The X gives them screen size in a smaller package. One is an attorney and his logic for getting them in his law office made a lot of sense to me. Others are fellow tech workers who are weight weenies when they do sports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
I'm not surprised there was nothing posted.
You have to consider the demographic on here. We're still strongly divided over factory-installed pickups or even pickups in acoustic guitars.

"I don't need no new-fangled phone with all that stuff that I don't understand."
Yeah, it's funny we don't have much bashing of guitar players who do it in public or professionally for their wanting electronics that aid it or state of the art when it comes to PA, amps, mics etc....

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
I'm not buying another iPhone until they bring back the headphone jack.

Now, get off my lawn.
They did, I am.

The included adaptor solves it and others are available. I'm not aware of complaints worth taking whether that's in my family or the countless purchases between the company or BYOD users. We're more than a year into it too.

I'm in no rush to get the phone via one still i the upgrade program and one less than a year old but I am watching app compatibility. If one of my kids' phones died it's quite likely I'd go for the X.
__________________
ƃuoɹʍ llɐ ʇno əɯɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 11-06-2017, 02:20 PM
AndreF AndreF is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 529
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX17609 View Post
The SE is brilliant. When Apple markets an SE-sized X, I'll be the first person in line.
Agree. I'll be right behind you.
__________________
Best regards,
Andre
http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 11-06-2017, 07:30 PM
1neeto 1neeto is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 583
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzy the dog View Post
In defence of the handbag - they do have a neat pocket inside designed specifically to keep your iPhone X safe and handy.



Plus, if you put an iPhone X in a cheap bag people will just assume it's counterfeit - you wouldn't carry that Custom Shop Strat in a crappy gig bag would you?

Lol you have a point there. [emoji38]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
I'm not buying another iPhone until they bring back the headphone jack.



Now, get off my lawn.

So far the hardest thing to adjust right now. Like when at work I like to put on my ear buds and get lost in my music. I forgot to bring the adaptor today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AX17609 View Post
The SE is brilliant. When Apple markets an SE-sized X, I'll be the first person in line.

An all-screen SE iPhone would look freakishly long IMO. I think the perfect size would be an all-screen 6/7/8 sized iPhone.

I highly doubt Apple would make a smaller X simply because the market is just too small. People are used to big phones now, and everyone who go with a bigger phone, will never go back down to a smaller one. I bet the next X style iPhone will be 8 plus sized.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
I'm not surprised there was nothing posted.
You have to consider the demographic on here. We're still strongly divided over factory-installed pickups or even pickups in acoustic guitars.

"I don't need no new-fangled phone with all that stuff that I don't understand."


Pickups on acoustic guitars are for distortion. [emoji13]
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 11-07-2017, 01:48 AM
1neeto 1neeto is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 583
Default

So I figure why not give a review after two days with this phone. Although thereís a lot of features Iím still getting used to, I think I have the hang of it.

Letís start with the important stuff first; the looks!
Well it looks just like any other smartphone on the market. A black square with whatever color the back casing might be. In my case, I have the silver one. I welcome the return of the glass back, and without the regulatory writing (you know all that ďdo not throw in the landfillĒ, CE and all that small print), it looks much cleaner with just the familiar bitten Apple logo that brings either happiness or extreme hate depending on who you are. With the screen on, you get a nice stock beach picture that shows off the beautiful OLED screen.

Overall feel:
The phone feels good when you hold it. It has this sturdy feel mostly because of its stainless steel frame, but at the same time it feels extremely slippery and fragile. I had to get a case right away, the phone is like 95% glass! If youíre used to smaller phones, like a non plus iPhone, then this doesnít feel that much bigger. If you come from something like a iPhone 5 or SE, then this will probably feel like a tablet, but I bet youíll forget about it once you get treated to the much bigger screen. I got used to the extra bulk on my hands almost right away. The buttons feel like previous iPhones sans the home button, nothing new here.

Overall phone user interface:
Ok so the biggest change here besides the nearly bezel-less OLED screen, is the lack of a home button with fingerprint scanner. It truly changes most of the experience and although itís a bit quirky at first, (I kept trying to hit a phantom home button for most of my first day) it does become second nature. To unlock the phone, it recognizes your face, and itís pretty neat! I could be wearing a hat and shades, and it still recognizes my face. Thatís pretty cool because all you have to do is look at the phone. Since this feature replaces the fingerprint scanner, that means your face is its security measure when it comes to using Apple Pay, or just buying from the App Store. Other user interface changes is now you swipe up to open your phone, and the control center comes from swiping the top right corner down. Again tricky at first, but very seamless once you get used to it.

Camera:
The camera takes beautiful pictures, and Iím very happy that Apple fitted the dual cameras in a landscape orientation instead of a portrait orientation like the iPhone 7 and 8 plus. This camera takes very nice pictures at 12MP, and it shoots 4K video at 60fps, and all-mo at 1080p 240fps. If you use those settings, youíll eat up 400MB of storage for each minute! I have yet to see exactly what this camera is capable of.

Battery life:
If thereís a disappointment, then itís definitely its battery life. Apple hyped this to be the best battery life of any iPhone. They even went through the trouble of installing a two-cell battery that has more amperage than a 8 plus battery. The end result is that battery life isnít any better than other iPhones. I guess all that extra juice was needed for the OLED screen. Again, itís not that the battery life is bad, itís just not exactly as advertised.

Overall, Iím very pleased with this phone, even if it set me back over $1000. The display is just beautiful, the interface is seamless, and itís fast, very fast! A great upgrade from a 6S!

Hereís some pics: one is side by side with a 6S, and the rest some sushi, and a random rainbow from the car.

Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 11-07-2017, 04:14 AM
Nelson's Avatar
Nelson Nelson is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Northeast Colorado
Posts: 3,431
Default

Wife and I are 7 users. Staying with these for a while. If I have an extra k burning a hole in my pocket (which I donít), I would prefer dropping it on gear right now. The iPhone X intrigues me but not at that price. Iíll eventually get there with one but prefer to wait till the newness wears off and the price drops.
__________________
I have a photographic memory...but I'm out of film.

Nelson


2002 514ce
2003 414ce Ltd
2014 150e
2010 Fender Strat

Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 11-07-2017, 05:26 AM
AX17609 AX17609 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,140
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
An all-screen SE iPhone would look freakishly long IMO. I think the perfect size would be an all-screen 6/7/8 sized iPhone.
I'm convinced that the size of the SE is no accident. It fits perfectly in the pocket of a pair of jeans, and you can sit down without it jamming into your hip bone. Prior to buying in iPhone, I conducted a small market sample of how people carried their phones. Jeans-wearing people with 6/7/8-sized phones tended to take them out of their pocket to sit down. That's a non-starter for me. I'm fine with them making the X(SE) a little wider to satisfy the aspect ratio problem, but they can't make it longer. Furthermore, if the letters of the product are rearranged a little bit, they'll have a phone that markets itself.
__________________
Anyone who says "you can succeed at anything you put your mind to" has never played golf.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 11-07-2017, 10:34 AM
ManyMartinMan ManyMartinMan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: In The Hills, Off Mulholland
Posts: 1,688
Default

The adult child has received the X but I really like my 6S Plus. I’ll keep,it until the software updates slow it down too much. I just ordered my mom her first non-flip phone for an early Christmas present so she can at least get an Uber or Lyft in her 80’s.
__________________
In My Opinion, The Dude.

Enough Guitars To Make A Living With....
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 11-07-2017, 10:34 PM
1neeto 1neeto is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 583
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX17609 View Post
I'm convinced that the size of the SE is no accident. It fits perfectly in the pocket of a pair of jeans, and you can sit down without it jamming into your hip bone. Prior to buying in iPhone, I conducted a small market sample of how people carried their phones. Jeans-wearing people with 6/7/8-sized phones tended to take them out of their pocket to sit down. That's a non-starter for me. I'm fine with them making the X(SE) a little wider to satisfy the aspect ratio problem, but they can't make it longer. Furthermore, if the letters of the product are rearranged a little bit, they'll have a phone that markets itself.

The SE is based on the iPhone 5 size and I think the iPhone 5 was the last iPhone design that had direct Steve Jobs influence. He was totally against big phones, he believed that the iPhone 5 size was as big as a phone should be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMartinMan View Post
The adult child has received the X but I really like my 6S Plus. Iíll keep,it until the software updates slow it down too much. I just ordered my mom her first non-flip phone for an early Christmas present so she can at least get an Uber or Lyft in her 80ís.


The 6S plus is still a great phone. 3D Touch, still a pretty fast processor, and decent camera.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 11-08-2017, 06:25 AM
AX17609 AX17609 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,140
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
The SE is based on the iPhone 5 size and I think the iPhone 5 was the last iPhone design that had direct Steve Jobs influence. He was totally against big phones, he believed that the iPhone 5 size was as big as a phone should be.
Thanks for pointing that out. Steve Jobs understood fundamental product utility better than just about everyone else on earth. I have been an Apple product user for 35 years and a Mac advocate for 25. But, judging by their recent product performance, the company has lost its way since Steve died. On one hand, I think my recently purchased SE is brilliant. I love it's recent description as the "cockroach" of cell phones, something that has evolved into utilitarian perfection in spite of itself. On the other hand, I seem to spend half my life running back to the Apple store to solve a variety of inter-platform compatibility issues. One of the company's flagship products, iTunes, for example, has devolved into something so bewilderingly dysfunctional that it seems to have been produced by Microsoft.
__________________
Anyone who says "you can succeed at anything you put your mind to" has never played golf.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 11-08-2017, 12:24 PM
imwjl imwjl is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: My mom's basement.
Posts: 5,277
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX17609 View Post
Thanks for pointing that out. Steve Jobs understood fundamental product utility better than just about everyone else on earth. I have been an Apple product user for 35 years and a Mac advocate for 25. But, judging by their recent product performance, the company has lost its way since Steve died. On one hand, I think my recently purchased SE is brilliant. I love it's recent description as the "cockroach" of cell phones, something that has evolved into utilitarian perfection in spite of itself. On the other hand, I seem to spend half my life running back to the Apple store to solve a variety of inter-platform compatibility issues. One of the company's flagship products, iTunes, for example, has devolved into something so bewilderingly dysfunctional that it seems to have been produced by Microsoft.
It's pretty clear he turned out to be wrong, and it's also fair to say a lot of the world didn't get how powerful and how fast powerful apps evolved.

You're probably confusing one's own configuration with how dysfunctional iTunes is and not aware how different Microsoft's been for a good while now.

I really do like the Apple platform but the as religion, tribe or fan boy ways that happen with it and other platforms don't work here. The market winners or top tier stuff is all good.

Closer to topic, I am still watching the app development for the X models. Nothing's wrong with my 10-11 month old 7 Plus but an X might be attractive if a phone in the family dies.

To some extent I keep finding the Apple Watch and AirPods make the actual phone less important for me.
__________________
ƃuoɹʍ llɐ ʇno əɯɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=