The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-28-2017, 08:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bry View Post
I love thinking about how to spend other people's money I just got a shorty (same as Rainsong ch-om) delivered to my house yesterday. Playing it side by side with the savoy, the savoy wins hands down. I think the sound of Ekoa has won me over. To me the shorty/ch-om sounds more thin, not as rich as the savoy. It just sounds like carbon. The RS doesn't sound bad at all. It sounds amazing for a carbon fiber guitar but I will be sending it back and either waiting for namm or getting a blackbird farallon.
Fixedgear60, you said you wanted something more traditional but also cutting edge. That is what blackbird is doing with Ekoa. If the El Capitan was shorter scale I would have one along with my savoy.
Sending back the CH-OM and considering a Farallon (ukulele) instead?

Just browsing?
Old 10-28-2017, 09:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Sending back the CH-OM and considering a Farallon (ukulele) instead?

Just browsing?

Yep. Been wanting one of those for a long time.
Old 10-28-2017, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixedgear60 View Post
..I have narrowed down to two types of guitars...
1. full size... really loved the JM1000 but to flashy with all the appointments of sharks and rosette. Love the look and feel of the all black hybrid series and hope we see this look and feel in the jumbo some day.

2. Travel guitar .. again want something low key and had the P12 for some time but for some reason never took to the sound but loved the look and the cut away. IMHO... it is the nicest of the cutaways in Rainsong line up aesthetically.

One thought is perhaps I should go all in on eKoa with the el Capitan and savoy. that is some big money and really have to think through it. Had the opportunity to visit the"nest" while in San Fran and Joe was very gracious in spending time with and playing both the el Capitan and savoy. Pretty amazing guitars.
Sounds like you have it figured out, I see no reason to second guess yourself.
Old 10-28-2017, 12:02 PM

Thanks Ted... had on my list to call you next week. Any thoughts on the difference in sound between the JM1000 and El Capitan... both wonderful guitars but have never played them side by side. Just stopped locally to play a JM1000 and still gives me goose bumps sonically.... IMHO the best sounding of all Rainsongs. :-) Don't mean ti put you on the spot as a dealer for both but you are our resident expert :-)

Also have a BTU that thinking of selling .. my only stringed instrument in the house these days and use the funds for the Farellon .. noticed they now offer a sound port also ... Joe is really innovating quickly.
Old 10-28-2017, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Thanks Ted... had on my list to call you next week. Any thoughts on the difference in sound between the JM1000 and El Capitan... both wonderful guitars but have never played them side by side. Just stopped locally to play a JM1000 and still gives me goose bumps sonically.... IMHO the best sounding of all Rainsongs. :-) Don't mean ti put you on the spot as a dealer for both but you are our resident expert :-)

Also have a BTU that thinking of selling .. my only stringed instrument in the house these days and use the funds for the Farellon .. noticed they now offer a sound port also ... Joe is really innovating quickly.
As you know, the Rainsong JM1000 has a big, punchy bass response, with excellent clarity, and plenty of projection and volume. And while it's very responsive, it has tons of headroom as well. In a word, it has a huge voice. The El Capitan has a much more mellow, wood like tone, in fact if you can get your hands on a Rosewood/Spruce Collings SJ small jumbo, or similar high end all solid wood SJ, you will get an idea as to what the El Cap sounds like. If you like the tone of the JM1000, there is no substitute, if you want something mellower, give the El Cap a try.

The BTU is a wonderful instrument, but it is being phased out in favor the Ekoa Ukes. And yes, Joe has added a soundport option to the Farallon. I have not played them side by side, so I can't comment on the tonal difference, but I do know Joe wouldn't bother if it didn't make a difference. He is a perfectionist when it comes to tone.
Old 10-28-2017, 04:46 PM

If I was in your shoes, I would buy a Rainsong CH-PA until I made my mind up. Can't go wrong with the price/value, doesn't take up any space, and comfy as heck to play. Then you can ponder the esoteric ephemera of the CF guitar universe for a #2.
Old 10-28-2017, 04:50 PM

Quote:
I love thinking about how to spend other people's money I just got a shorty (same as Rainsong ch-om) delivered to my house yesterday. Playing it side by side with the savoy, the savoy wins hands down. I think the sound of Ekoa has won me over. To me the shorty/ch-om sounds more thin, not as rich as the savoy. It just sounds like carbon. The RS doesn't sound bad at all. It sounds amazing for a carbon fiber guitar but I will be sending it back and either waiting for namm or getting a blackbird farallon.
Fixedgear60, you said you wanted something more traditional but also cutting edge. That is what blackbird is doing with Ekoa. If the El Capitan was shorter scale I would have one along with my savoy.
That’s really interesting, because I had exactly the opposite impression when I played the CH-OM back-to-back with the Savoy. To me the CH-OM had a much richer, fuller voice and the Savoy tone seemed thinner, very mid-rangy, without as much full-range balance. It just shows that different players get different impressions of the same instruments and why it’s important for each player to play and sort out which instruments suit their individual tastes the best.
Old 10-28-2017, 05:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
That’s really interesting, because I had exactly the opposite impression when I played the CH-OM back-to-back with the Savoy. To me the CH-OM had a much richer, fuller voice and the Savoy tone seemed thinner, very mid-rangy, without as much full-range balance. It just shows that different players get different impressions of the same instruments and why it’s important for each player to play and sort out which instruments suit their individual tastes the best.

Too funny. I am always amazed at how we all hear differently. I agree with you and you couldn't have said it better, you just need to play everything. Love the process!
Old 10-28-2017, 06:04 PM

Thanks Ted as always for your honesty and thoughtful replies. I see that there are a number of fans of the CH-OM. I played one today also and the JM ruined me. Also noticed that the CH-OM had two sharks at the 12th fret. Is that something new??? I asked the sales person and he said it just came in this week like that at the normal price.

Will drop you aline early next week to ponder the CF universe oh "Yoda" of CF guitars.. ;-). The CF is strong with you... :-)
Old 10-28-2017, 06:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks Ted as always for your honesty and thoughtful replies. I see that there are a number of fans of the CH-OM. I played one today also and the JM ruined me. Also noticed that the CH-OM had two sharks at the 12th fret. Is that something new??? I asked the sales person and he said it just came in this week like that at the normal price.

Will drop you aline early next week to ponder the CF universe oh "Yoda" of CF guitars.. ;-). The CF is strong with you... :-)

If the ch om that you saw had sharks it might be a co om which has full carbon back and sides not glass/carbon like the hybrid. The co series in my opinion sound much better than the ch series. Much more depth and more punch.
Old 10-29-2017, 04:38 AM

Thanks bry.... what was funny about it was that it only had two sharks at the 12 fret (no other sharks) ...all other appointments meaning all blacked out and satin neck back and sides...

The price was also the same as they hybrid series...
Old 10-29-2017, 07:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks bry.... what was funny about it was that it only had two sharks at the 12 fret (no other sharks) ...all other appointments meaning all blacked out and satin neck back and sides...

The price was also the same as they hybrid series...

Crazy. That is definitely a question for Ted.
Old 10-29-2017, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Yup... I am at a point over the years I have bought and sold most of the CF guitars manufacturers small and medium size guitars. This time around I am not going to buy anything I don't absolutely love (trying to avoid GAS). I am going for two high quality composites noted above that are going to be my companions over the long hall. The buying and selling (minus rental fee(s)) over the years has been fun but ready to get the one(s) and focus on the music.

The funny part of the CF journey is the things that we love about composite instruments .. i.e. stability and consistency is also it's weakness as the sound does not evolved. I have no scientific data on this but I can attest to my ears that they do change and my music interest have changed as well.

Last edited by Fixedgear60; 10-29-2017 at 11:13 AM.
Old 10-29-2017, 11:59 AM

Quote:
I can certainly ask Dave what the deal is, but I think the dealer who has the guitar should have the answer.

Quote:
Yup... I am at a point over the years I have bought and sold most of the CF guitars manufacturers small and medium size guitars. This time around I am not going to buy anything I don't absolutely love (trying to avoid GAS). I am going for two high quality composites noted above that are going to be my companions over the long hall. The buying and selling (minus rental fee(s)) over the years has been fun but ready to get the one(s) and focus on the music.

The funny part of the CF journey is the things that we love about composite instruments .. i.e. stability and consistency is also it's weakness as the sound does not evolved. I have no scientific data on this but I can attest to my ears that they do change and my music interest have changed as well.
There is no such thing as "the one" or two or three, there is only an acceptance of good enough.
Old 10-29-2017, 04:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
There is no such thing as "the one" or two or three, there is only an acceptance of good enough.
Plus, it's a moving target. I have the secret to finding "the one": buy one guitar. Don't ever try out another guitar. Don't listen to anyone playing another guitar. And, definitely stay away from internet guitar forums.

Yeah, I don't take my advice, either.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber