The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-17-2017, 02:50 PM

As much as I LOVE the Emerald Aesthetic... awesome good looking guitars...
I think tone, sustain,volume and comfort is king.
I may now be considering the APLE Rainsong or the CH WS1000N2.
I just wish I could get my hands on any of these to test them out.
Unfortunately, I can't find any of these in Oklahoma. Hey!
Maybe I should become a dealer! Ha!
1976 Gretsch Chet Atkins Country Gentleman #7670
Old 10-17-2017, 04:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyOK View Post
I like both RS and Emerald guitars, and own both makes....but I was wondering if you have played the Emeralds? Making a statement like that, I would assume so???
Old 10-17-2017, 07:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
While the Emeralds I own are great-looking with excellent workmanship, if they didn't have the tone, sustain, and volume, they wouldn't be on the top of my list. They bring it!
Old 10-18-2017, 11:10 PM

As I said I havent played either... I cant find any in Oklahoma City.
I have to rely on what Ive heard on YouTube and company websites etc. From what I can tell the Emeralds sound a bit more boxy or a tad muted compared to the Rainsong videos IMO the Emeralds LOOK better though.
Old 10-19-2017, 12:41 AM

Quote:
As I said I havent played either... I cant find any in Oklahoma City.
I have to rely on what Ive heard on YouTube and company websites etc. From what I can tell the Emeralds sound a bit more boxy or a tad muted compared to the Rainsong videos IMO the Emeralds LOOK better though.
Hi Randy

I currently have both an Emerald X20 and a Rainsong CH WS but I do not have the CA XGi. I also have owned a Rainsong CO WS in the past.

Youtube videos may not represent the tone of Emerald well (which I have been through every single one of them before I got mine). The X20 was getting lots of positive review and I relied on that and was very happy with it. My X20 sounds like a full size dreadnought, plenty loud with full deep clear bass.

As for tone - I prefer X20 over my CH WS. But I do prefer the CO WS over X20 as it has a glassier tone and more bite from the standard scale length compared to the CH WS.

Comfort - X20 hands down for me, the bevel and curved back makes it so comfortable to hold. Neck carve/shape I have no preference on either

Volume - X20 is loud from a players perspective due to the placement of the soundhole, I dont care what others hear because I only play for myself to listen

Sustain - either one will sustain forever, that is one of the perks in carbon fibre.

Last edited by pandaroo; 10-19-2017 at 12:52 AM.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:33 AM

Thanks Pandaroo... I was wondering about the difference between the CH and CO also and you answered that for me. thanks.
Regarding the X20 vs Rainsong...Maybe the sound hole pointing at you is what makes the difference for the X20 players and might explain why what I hear on YouTube from a microphone out front from a listeners perspective doesn't sound quite as open and full as the Rainsongs. I am sure to the player it sounds GREAT! I didn't really think about that. I appreciate your input! Thanks again.
Old 10-19-2017, 09:31 AM

Randy, I'm not quite a month into ownership of a Rainsong CO series dread. Honestly, I think I prefer the tone of the hybrid series because it is a little warmer and thicker than the CO series with unidirectional top.

The reason I chose the CO over the hybrid was on account of the shark inlay fret markers and the rosette; I just love those features.

I guess I'm a little more traditional than a lot of the folks here in the CF forum, because I just can't get behind the aesthetics of the Emerald. They are obviously very fine guitars and sound really nice, but I prefer the more traditional shapes of Rainsong.

My favorite wood guitar is a late model Taylor 810. It's tone is so deep and chimey and lush and warm and sweet... The Rainsong is different. Much more clinical. Think analog (wood) vs. digital (CF).

Again, I'm not bashing the tone of CF. I love how mine sounds and enjoy it thoroughly - but it is simply a different tone. I think the closest you're going to get to the wood-guitar tone is a Rainsong hybrid.
Old 10-19-2017, 09:51 AM
Charter Member

I've never played an Emerald but I have played quite a few Rainsongs. Yesterday I was at the local RS dealer and I played every one they had. I played the new ch series guitars and as people have said they sound very warm, but I preferred the tone of the APSE model. I think pandaroo said it perfectly "glassier tone and more bite" on the CO models. IMO I would compare the CH series to a wood guitar with laminate b/s and the CO series to a solid wood b/s (again imo). I played a couple different WS models, I thought the ch-WS sounded too muddy for me. The WS model that stood out was the CO-WS1005NS. This model has the offset sound hole, the shorter scale 12 fret (which I prefer), and just sounded more clear to me. I think the APSE model is a great deal for what you get , if you like the Burst but not as loud as the WS models.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:07 AM

There are a few online dealers with great return policies, so maybe you could pull the trigger that way. Try it for a few days, and if it isn't what you were looking for, return or exchange it. It's tough to be stuck in remote-ish areas (I'm in western Montana) where you don't have easy access to the cool toys. But if one of the web retailers will let you return an unwanted item, no questions asked... no risk in giving it a shot.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:25 AM

FYI the APLE is now discontinued, replaced by the APSE. I like the APLE more with it's gloss finish. It also has different electronics. A dual signal Fishman with an internal mic that has it's own controls of sorts.

I played one a few times and almost bought it at a local store. But for me the missing 2 frets (due to short scale) just doesn't work. Nice warm tone, nice feel. I was told by a someone here at AGF that the store is willing to take $1000 Canadian off the price as they are no longer a Rainsong dealer. I have not asked them myself as I'm not interested in the guitar. I would expect they are very willing to move it as it's been there a while. The discount plus the low Canadian dollar may make this an options for you. Here's a link to the stores contact info https://sawchyn.com/index.php/contac...yn-guitars-ltd
Old 10-19-2017, 12:06 PM
Charter Member

Ah, the bane of the internet: getting to post opinions without having any actual experience. My hands-on experience with the RainSong I own and the Emeralds I own doesn't play out like what you got from Youtube videos, Randy.

Nothing "boxy" about the Emerald, not even the considerably smaller X7. Certainly not with the X20. I'm no expert on recording for Youtube, but the mic position for the RainSong may not be the optimal position for the X20. I would caution you to not make a buying decision based only on Youtube.

Like many here, I understand that desire to to find the "one true perfect instrument." In reality, my guitar acquisitions have been a journey... not a quest. I see that there are Guitar Centers in Norman, Oklahoma City, and Tulsa - some GCs are stocking RainSong, so it might be worth your while to give each a call to see if they have one (or some) in stock. Short of that, I have two words of advice for you: road trip!

Besides mine, I have had the opportunity to play other RainSongs - all have been very nice guitars, but there are certainly different tones between the models. And definitely differences between the X20 and any RainSong model. While the X20 is my preference (in sound, tone, comfort, and looks), it doesn't mean any of the RainSongs are somehow less.

We all bring our biases and tastes to the forum, but the collective experience of the folks here has been helpful to me. The most important thing in this decision will be how it sounds and feels in your hands.

Good luck with the journey.
Old 10-19-2017, 01:40 PM
Charter Member

I've owned and played a LOT of Rainsongs, I too found the H series more to my liking, a bit warmer and does not have the brighter, clearer sound of the CO models. My H-WS1000N2 was my 2nd favorite guitar until the X20 came along. For my preferences and style (or lack there of) of playing, the X20 is a much better guitar for me. Are you a finger style player or a strummer/picker ? That could make the difference.
Old 10-19-2017, 02:08 PM

Finger picker usually ... so I like a responsive guitar. One that still has decent volume without having to use a pick
Old 10-21-2017, 05:59 AM

I wonder why Rainsong didnt make a 14 fret CH?
The regular H series has the 14 frets but doesnt have the Unidirectional top.
Hmm.
Old 10-21-2017, 10:08 AM

Quote:
I wonder why Rainsong didnt make a 14 fret CH?
The regular H series has the 14 frets but doesnt have the Unidirectional top.
Hmm.
Yup me to. I would have bought one if they had. Price point is awesome. They did the same thing with their Smokey line... all 12 fret short scale. It's odd to me that the only unidirectional standard scale guitar in thier line is so much more money. I don't like the shark inlays and don't need the rosette, even though I like it. I just want the lower price.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber