The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-15-2017, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaan View Post
I haven't ordered yet, I'm still hashing it out. I'm weighing if I can just live with the standard one. I have big hands with the start of some arthritis, and I'm finding thin necks don't work for me. But from what I'm seeing in my research, the X20 necks may have enough "meat" to them.
I purchased an x20 that was built in March of this year so I can comment on it when folks call me, and the neck is very close to the discontinued Rainsong N1 shape, which is still a U shape, and a bit fuller than the US made Taylors, or the Martin modified low oval shape. If you can find a Rainsong with the N1 neck, than that will give you a fair idea what to expect from the x20. Me, I sold my Rainsong OM1000 with the N1 neck once I got used to the slightly fuller N2 neck. Although I have medium size hands, the N2 shape was more comfortable for longer periods. I can't tell you why this fuller neck feels better for me, but it does.

If you are near LA, or AZ, you can visit me, or Kramster and try an x20, as well as most everything else.
Old 08-15-2017, 10:26 PM

I recently had the opportunity (thanks to Kramster) to test-play quite a few different CF guitars, one right after the other in a single sitting!

Included, if I can remember them all correctly, were Emerald X7, X10, X20, & Amicus; RainSong CH-WS1000, CH-OM1000, & CH-Parlor; CA OXE & Cargo, Blackbird Savoy, McPherson Touring, Journey OF660, and perhaps a few others that I don't even remember.

Each of them had a unique feel and sound.

OF THEM ALL... the RainSong CH-OM won me over! Pretty much from the get-go. It just had the best overall combination of rich, balanced tonal range, easy playability, and comfortable size. What more can you ask for? (Price, perhaps???)

So much so, that I just put my money where my mouth was/is, paid the bill, and Ted (LA Guitar Sales) has shipped a RainSong CH-OM1100NS (what was previously called the "Shorty') to me, arriving on Thursday! 12-fret, short scale. (My second guitar purchased from Ted & Helene. The other being an exquisite Eastman E10-OOM all solid, flame mahogany. Also a 12-fret, short-scale.)

Not only was I won over by the full and well-balanced tone, the easy-playability, and the comfortable body size of the CH-OM... but all that coming at a price that beats nearly every other CF guitar out there? And that considerably, compared to many of them?

How does all that come together so magnificently? I don't know. But I'm not complaining about it!

Last edited by DHart; 08-15-2017 at 11:05 PM.
Old 08-15-2017, 10:59 PM

A very special opportunity to be able to play them all and find what you like best! ( A generous, whimsical guy that has them all ).

Last edited by JimCA; 08-15-2017 at 11:08 PM.
Old 08-16-2017, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaan View Post
I guess this depends on your definition of modest. I checked, and it was a $500 upgrade to change the neck profile.
That is a considerably higher cost than I paid for my X7 neck mod. Wonder if the price has gone up this year?
Old 08-16-2017, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
I purchased an x20 that was built in March of this year so I can comment on it when folks call me, and the neck is very close to the discontinued Rainsong N1 shape, which is still a U shape, and a bit fuller than the US made Taylors, or the Martin modified low oval shape. If you can find a Rainsong with the N1 neck, than that will give you a fair idea what to expect from the x20. Me, I sold my Rainsong OM1000 with the N1 neck once I got used to the slightly fuller N2 neck. Although I have medium size hands, the N2 shape was more comfortable for longer periods. I can't tell you why this fuller neck feels better for me, but it does.

If you are near LA, or AZ, you can visit me, or Kramster and try an x20, as well as most everything else.
I think this is a case of U shape justification? Not even Rainsong called the N1 a U shape when they had both profiles, I think they called it a C. Describing the X20 as a U type, it's a C to all that don't sell Rainsongs. Lol. Personally I think the standard Emerald Neck on my 6 side of my doubleneck is fine. A "normal" C which isn't a bad thing. Ironically the one company that will do custom necks and I would not bother.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 08-16-2017, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
Personally I think the standard Emerald Neck on my 6 side of my doubleneck is fine. A "normal" C which isn't a bad thing. Ironically the one company that will do custom necks and I would not bother.
Agree. Either neck on the Chimaera felt fine to me. I had no trouble at all switching between my Rainsong, Blackbird, Taylor's or the Chimaera. When I recently ordered my X20-12, I opted for shorter scale and twenty frets instead of 24, but made no mods to the neck profile or nut width.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:00 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
I think this is a case of U shape justification? Not even Rainsong called the N1 a U shape when they had both profiles, I think they called it a C. Describing the X20 as a U type, it's a C to all that don't sell Rainsongs. Lol. Personally I think the standard Emerald Neck on my 6 side of my doubleneck is fine. A "normal" C which isn't a bad thing. Ironically the one company that will do custom necks and I would not bother.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Agree. Either neck on the Chimaera felt fine to me. I had no trouble at all switching between my Rainsong, Blackbird, Taylor's or the Chimaera. When I recently ordered my X20-12, I opted for shorter scale and twenty frets instead of 24, but made no mods to the neck profile or nut width.
Ditto for me too. My experience is primarily with Taylor, Composite Acoustics and Emerald (6/12 Chimaera). Luckily for me, I go between them without problem. To me, the Taylor neck sits in the middle of the CA and Emerald with the CA having just a little flatter back of neck and the Emerald having just a little rounder back of neck. I like all three. Although I think it's great that Emerald offers such a wide range of customizations, I like their standard neck shape just fine and wouldn't pay more to have it modified.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:04 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel Cedar View Post
That is a considerably higher cost than I paid for my X7 neck mod. Wonder if the price has gone up this year?
Not that it matters to me because I like the standard Emerald neck just fine, but I'm curious as to what a $500 upcharge encompasses...just shape, or also scale or width? It seems to me that each aspect should rightfully affect the cost.
Old 08-16-2017, 01:02 PM

Quote:
I think this is a case of U shape justification? Not even Rainsong called the N1 a U shape when they had both profiles, I think they called it a C. Describing the X20 as a U type, it's a C to all that don't sell Rainsongs. Lol.
I resent your accusation, Steve. I don't recall what Rainsong called it, but the N1 neck is most definitely not C shape, and neither is the neck on the x20 I have access to, a guitar that was built in March of 2017. They are U, or more accurately D shape, which is of course a lower profile U. Here's a basic chart to illustrate the difference.

Last edited by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales; 08-16-2017 at 01:12 PM.
Old 08-16-2017, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
...To me, the Taylor neck sits in the middle of the CA and Emerald with the CA having just a little flatter back of neck and the Emerald having just a little rounder back of neck...
Interesting. Again, I can only comment on the one x20 I have access to, and certainly can't comment on Emerald consistency, but the dozen or so CA's in my store right now all have a more rounded, C shape (what Taylor calls the T5 shape) neck profile than the x20, which has a definite flat spot on the back of the neck. Current Taylor necks actually have a bit of a V shape hump in the back.

Old 08-16-2017, 01:24 PM

Scroll down to " Product Description"
on the following link, there is a comment on the X20's neck shape
http://emeraldguitars.com/product/x2...v=7516fd43adaa

2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars
Old 08-16-2017, 01:45 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
Interesting. Again, I can only comment on the one x20 I have access to, and certainly can't comment on Emerald consistency, but the dozen or so CA's in my store right now all have a more rounded, C shape (what Taylor calls the T5 shape) neck profile than the x20, which has a definite flat spot on the back of the neck. Current Taylor necks actually have a bit of a V shape hump in the back.
Ok, I have my '02 Taylor 814c, '08 CA Cargo and '17 Emerald Chimaera 6/12 before me right now. Looking closely at them while considering the reference neck images, I would say they are all C shape. However, I have just measured the depth of each at the 7th fret from the edge of the fretboard to the round of the back of the neck with the Cargo being 3/4", the Taylor being 13/16" and the Emerald 6-string neck being 3/4" and the 12-string neck being 7/8". So my guess that my Taylor sits in the middle turns out to be exactly right. This said, although the Cargo neck and 6-neck of the Chimaera measure the same depth, the Cargo does feel ever so slightly flatter across the back, even if it's not. So therefore, although I said they are all C so far as I can tell, there is likely a very slight builder-specific variation. Not scientific, but there you have it.
Old 08-16-2017, 02:12 PM

Seems like every few months the "RainSong N2 neck" and how people don't like it. Yep, I agree.

Last edited by steelvibe; 10-08-2020 at 04:30 PM. Reason: Because I can
Old 08-16-2017, 02:26 PM
Charter Member

Here's my two cents for what it's worth as others have commented already...

I've owned a Rainsong AWS1000, H-OM1000, JM1000, and Smokey as well as two X20s.

The classic rainsong neck, the N1, is close to a Taylor. Comparing my X20 to my Rainsong H-OM1000 I owned a few years ago, I would pick the Emerald neck over the new Rainsong neck hands down. (Personal preference.)

Build quality on my Rainsongs and Emeralds has been fantastic every time...

I'm not a huge fan of the velcro battery holder in the X20, however, I like that this is a non-invasive pickup! No barn door etc. It's a better choice when compared to the B-band system they used on the older instruments.

What really scores points for me with the X20 is the longer scale, 24 fret neck, and the stainless steel frets.

Finally, the X20 is really comfortable! The lack of sharp edges is something I grew to love very quickly!
Old 08-16-2017, 03:42 PM

Maybe Ted's used X20 has a modified neck. Probably easy to find out. My X20 has the standard neck and it feels pretty comfortable.

I would call the X20 neck a C or D neck so I think my anecdotal opinion in agreement with what Emerald has on their website. Going further than the website, I think it feels a little stiffer than the wood guitars I have sitting around. It also feels a little stiffer than my Lucky 13 (also with a standard neck). I think it is shaped a little different but just as comfortable as the Taylor necks I used to play on.

My only beef with the neck is that I have to bring talcum powder when I play outside else I run the risk of putting blisters on my fretting hand if I start sweating. I don't think I ever had that problem with the wood guitar I used to play out and about and it's not as bad for the Lucky 13 either. Doesn't bother me enough to do more than gripe here though.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber