The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 08-12-2017, 06:59 PM

I'm not sure what I should do for finishing, what to use for pore filler. This was just suppose to be a cheap and dirty practice instrument for work. I was going to use another cigar box and even throw some foam under the strings to keep the racket down. But I find with the uke above that the box irritates my arm so I did a regular box (my skin has been sensitized at work and any irritation gets magnified).

I used the baked top because I probable would not have used it otherwise. Together it doesn't look too bad. I took the top to the belt sander and brought it down some, the bracing is not very tall, on reflection I probably should have left off the outside pair. The back is probably over braced more than the top. It does have some resonance to it and if you dampen it and tap the top you can hear the difference, less depth. I'll have to make another one that is more delicate to see what you can get away with. May get back to it tomorrow. Had some more physiotherapy on my hand yesterday and today it is feeling it.
Old 09-16-2017, 06:47 PM

Building a uke for some people at work. The rest of the projects are pushed back in order of importance. One side bent, one to go.

This was unplanned, using the other uke body as a temporary form so it holds its shape. Did not think I would make more than one I did not make any forms for this shape.

Gluing the neck and tail block.

Trimmed and looking good.

Installing the linings.

A nice piece that is an orphan guitar side, need to thin it down some.

Thinned down, with some wings on it should make for a good top.

The back already joined.

Cutting the sound hole.

Bracing the top.

Bracing the back and adding a bits under the bridge area.

Gluing the sides onto the top. The clamp is for insurance the sides do not bow. A spacer runs from the neck block to the tail block and with the clamp nothing moved when adding the weights. I find this faster and easier than using clamps.

Glued on the back as well. Trimmed and almost ready for finish. Need to put a ring of wood in the sound hole in place of a rosette. Then with some sanding it is almost ready to go. Time to think of the neck.
Old 09-17-2017, 12:29 AM

Cute ukes, Fred. But don't do what hurts your tendons. Rest them now so you can build more later.

Got doc?
Old 09-17-2017, 08:51 AM

Thanks. Yeah, they do not seem to be getting much better and it has been a fairly long time. I know I should not be building, I promise to not start another project after I finish this one. The few others I want to complete are close to the finishing stage so they shouldn't bother me too much. I am planning to just put my feet up and practice playing rather than build once the snow flies.
Old 09-17-2017, 02:14 PM

I've been building Ukulele's lately too, they are a lot of fun to build and play as well. One quick mention, that looks like a frightening amount of weight on that poor little instrument O.o

It might just look that way though idk what the math would be on standard cam clamps.
Old 09-18-2017, 08:56 PM

Give that sucker a good wipe down with some varnish/wipe on poly and call it good. Its enough to protect the wood without forcing a 4 month finishing ordeal on yourself... Go nuts and wipe on 2 or 3 coats...
Old 09-18-2017, 09:16 PM

I finished my last Uke with Formby's wipe on Tung Oil (over an oil based filler in mahogany) which from what I understand is really just a wipe on oil varnish. I have to say I really like this stuff. It's a low gloss satin-ish finish and it looks great and was probably the easiest finish I've ever used. IDK what pro Uke builders consider a good finish for tone but I can tell ya that this stuff is probably as thin as French Polish and seems reasonably tough.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:17 PM

I have used wipe on poly on a few instruments and as you said for the amount of work it is a pretty good finish and is fairly thin. I was planing on using it on this one.

Now the bad news. WTF? How often do you look at your hands (especially if you need glasses to see anything close), about the only time I do I usually have something in them and am more intent on the what I am doing rather than my hands. But yesterday I did notice it. My (right) hand with the tendon issues has a sunken area at the base of the thumb. Seems most likely I have some nerve trouble as well as the tendons and it has caused some of my muscle mass to disappear. Surgery looks to be in my future, I hope sooner rather than later.

I am back with a brace on my hand and I might really have to take a break from the woodworking. I do have the six string uke done other than finish on the neck and frets, bridge and hardware so that will get finished. The Telecaster, just frets and hardware and that one's done, wanted to get back to it. But other than that I might be pretty quiet on the building front this winter.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:34 PM

I never did know how to do what is good for me.

Scarf joint for neck.

Thinned down the headstock area.

Need to trim some of the excess wood before gluing on the fretboard and shaping.

Mark out the shape.

Now it looks a little chunky. We have a fix for that.

Adjust my drum sander so the neck fits in between the drum and the table then thin down the thickness.

Gluing on the fretboard.

Rough carved the neck with a spoke shave.

Getting to the point where it is starting to feel like a neck.

Old 10-03-2017, 09:26 PM

My home made mill cutting the saddle slot in the bridge.

Cutting and chipping away the excess.

Some cleaning up is needed and then drill the string holes.

Old 11-11-2017, 09:20 PM

Seems I have not kept up with the pictures. Sound hole spruced up with a little bit of walnut.

And for the request of the symbol on their packaging to be on the guitar. Going to inlay the walnut into a maple plate for the front of the headstock. Filling in the routed out channels with grout. Needed a dremel holder and whipped one up from some scraps. Might even put a couple of white Leds on either side for some extra light.

Tendons are finally starting to cooperate I can do a lot more with my hand without too much pain. Took a long time. On the down side one of the muscles in my hand controlling my thumb up and went away, no goodbye's or nothing. Neurologist is at a loss to say why because he says my nerves seem ok electrically. It usually happens if you have carpal tunnel, I have a little but nothing out of the ordinary.
Old 11-11-2017, 10:36 PM

Fred,

Two things,

First, love the outisde the box thinking on shaping the uke body by using another uke body as the template.

Second, you have to rest your hands, if you push them to far then no more building for life!.

Been there done that, stupidly dis-regarded what I know I should not have been doing, one of many injuries was I fell over and fractured my right elbow, now my arm can not be straightened and I can’t touch my shoulder either with my right arm, have 70 degrees of movement out of a possible 180, why! Because I disregarded what the doc said when I broke it, next day with a broken arm I was shaping a neck, now years later I wish I had of listened. Have many many more stupid injuries that could have now been resolved had I listened, but age and arrogance makes us think we are bullet proof, not until we get older do we realise the true ramifications.

Point is, we need to modify or kick back what we do, otherwise we make injuries permanent

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE

Last edited by mirwa; 11-11-2017 at 10:42 PM.
Old 11-12-2017, 07:03 AM

I like that little dremel base jig you made
Old 11-12-2017, 12:44 PM

Should have given me the advice 40 years ago, some old injuries do make themselves known every once in a while. I have been taking it easy, I have projects I started last year sitting waiting for necks and they will probably have to wait for next year. I only do a little on this one when I feel I can, that is why the long time between updates. This one is getting close to being ready for finish, just have to do the fretboard then the tuners.

Then there is the one I used as a form for this one, it has the neck done and I think I roughed out the bridge for it. I may be spending winter on it as I find even strumming my small nylon guitar is uncomfortable. Maybe a floppy pick and my Telecaster, can always turn up the amp.
Old 11-12-2017, 09:17 PM

Just wiped it clean. It will get some touch up once the grout dries.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair