The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #61  
Old 11-19-2017, 05:31 PM
Gmountain Gmountain is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Florida Central East Coast
Posts: 1,908
Default

One thing about lawyers- if people didn't run to them looking for a cash payout for a fake injury, there would be no contingency fee cases. it's not the lawyers. it's the clients. Everyone wants the money.

Second, insurance companies- it doesn't matter what they are- car, health, homeowners- are in the business of not paying claims. Despite what they try to sell you, they would rather not pay claims. That's why they give you pages of exclusions. A policy should really be one page long- really, just a paragraph.
  #62  
Old 11-19-2017, 06:16 PM
rogthefrog's Avatar
rogthefrog rogthefrog is offline
Adventurous Guitar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 4,644
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
The bill was still $32,000, it just got sent to someone else.
Incorrect.

Prices billed by US hospitals are an order of magnitude higher than anywhere else.
__________________
Solo acoustic guitar videos:
This Boy is Damaged - Little Watercolor Pictures of Locomotives - Ragamuffin
  #63  
Old 11-19-2017, 07:28 PM
Otterhound Otterhound is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,645
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basalt Beach View Post
I should have used the exact term of the Ski Patrol, as I was told by Greg, my friend. The individual was "reckless" per the patrol and had been previously cited for reckless behavior on the mountain (which he learned as part of process in suing the 20 something). This individual was not a beginner, this occurred on the mountain where two trails meet up and Greg was stopped by the edge of the trail. Greg, who is a expert skier had just come down a double black.

This individual was considered "reckless" as he could not control his speed and stop, he entered the trail from an area marked "out of bounds" where he should not have been skiing. Fortunately, for Greg, the ski patrol, was right there when it happened. He suffered broken ribs, a punctured lung and a severe head injury and concussion. None of us knew about for a week or so as he was unconscious. I remember getting the call when he came out of the coma. His injuries were so severe he was airlifted to the regional medical facility.

Negotiating?
My former employer offered a CDHP plan about a eight years ago. CDHP stood for Consumer Driver Health Plan and I signed up for it. When I tried to negotiate the fees with the hospital for a procedure, I was told I could not. (I was responsible for a deductible and had a maximum out of pocket, so I thought I could negotiate that portion). The hospital turned me down and referred me to our insurer. My company insurer told me the name, CDHP, was a marketing name and that it did not mean I could negotiate anything. The insurer said, they had already negotiated all the fees and I was responsible for the deductible and maximum out of pocket. So much for a gimmicky name...
Sounds like you had issues with your employer and the insurer .
The hospital acted within the agreement .
Funny thing about contracts . We like them until we find ourselves being bitten by one .
Sue the hospitals , that will cause them to need to charge even more .
Can you not see the vicious circle here ?
  #64  
Old 11-19-2017, 07:32 PM
Otterhound Otterhound is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,645
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmountain View Post
One thing about lawyers- if people didn't run to them looking for a cash payout for a fake injury, there would be no contingency fee cases. it's not the lawyers. it's the clients. Everyone wants the money.

Second, insurance companies- it doesn't matter what they are- car, health, homeowners- are in the business of not paying claims. Despite what they try to sell you, they would rather not pay claims. That's why they give you pages of exclusions. A policy should really be one page long- really, just a paragraph.
It's all of the above and the honest and self reliant man ends up getting burned because he refuses to " play the game " .
As far as insurance companies are concerned , they don't make their money on premiums . They make their money on the investments that your money supplies for them to use .
  #65  
Old 11-19-2017, 09:19 PM
Hoyt Hoyt is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 345
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterhound View Post
It's all of the above and the honest and self reliant man ends up getting burned because he refuses to " play the game " .
As far as insurance companies are concerned , they don't make their money on premiums . They make their money on the investments that your money supplies for them to use .
Not really true in health insurance. The premium dollars are paid out fairly quickly for medical benefits, Admin including advertising, etc., unlike life insurance, some casualty insurance, etc. A relatively small percentage is left over as "profit" which might be invested.
  #66  
Old 11-19-2017, 10:07 PM
ManyMartinMan ManyMartinMan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: In The Hills, Off Mulholland
Posts: 1,688
Default

Thanks KevWild. I could/would not have been as thorough and patient in explaining what you did on spot and accurately.
__________________
In My Opinion, The Dude.

Enough Guitars To Make A Living With....
  #67  
Old 11-19-2017, 10:41 PM
KevWind KevWind is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Out West
Posts: 8,543
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyt View Post
Not really true in health insurance. The premium dollars are paid out fairly quickly for medical benefits, Admin including advertising, etc., unlike life insurance, some casualty insurance, etc. A relatively small percentage is left over as "profit" which might be invested.
I suppose it depends on what one means by "relatively" small but ...to put it into perspective United Health Care reported 10.3 billion profit on revenues of 130.5 billion for 2014 about 7.8% almost exactly the same profit percentage Exxon Mobile reported in 2014
__________________
" Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding." Albert Einstein
Enjoy the Journey.... Kev...



http://soundcloud.com/kevwind

Last edited by KevWind; 11-19-2017 at 10:52 PM.
  #68  
Old 11-19-2017, 11:21 PM
architype architype is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 6,436
Default

Profiting off of sick people is disgusting and immoral. Medical costs in the US didn't spiral out of control until hospitals decided to become for profit corporations.
The rest of the industrialized world looks at our system and thinks we must be out of our minds to put up with it....and they are right.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
__________________
1990 Alvarez Yairi DY-77
2009 Taylor 414ce ltd. Taz. Black
Closed Thread

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=