The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 11-19-2017, 12:36 PM
Charter Member

If there is one thing that every generation throughout history has said about the next generation it is ... "kids these days...", with some follow-on commentary to the effect that things are going astray. It was said about my generation, and now we are saying it about the next. How did we turn out?

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 11-19-2017, 12:44 PM
Charter Member

It's all Marty Mcfly's fault

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 11-19-2017, 12:52 PM

and will you get off my lawn!!

i'm 68 and i have 24 yr. old friends of my nephews come over to jam. one plays keyboards and the other plays guitar. both are in an up and coming local band and i really like their music. i get to learn things from them so it is a win/win.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 11-19-2017, 07:17 PM

Default GET off My LAWN

Get Off my lawn could not be further from the truth , people walk by with their dogs , poop in my yard and dont pick it up , I couldnt care less, other neighbors would and have had a nuclear FIT ....You couldnt be more wrong
Old 11-21-2017, 08:24 AM

Speaking of these "youngins", I have to deal with them at the office. I am only 10 years older than some of these. It seems they want things handed to them on a silver platter. They ask for dumb things like, "Can I get a print out of these?" after I have sent them a PDF that they can print. They want things a certain way instead of making it the way they want it themselves. I am only in my mid-30s...these kids are coming up fast.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:37 AM

There are both parents working now - not just one.

So many kids are tied up in big sports programs from the age of 4 or 5...

They are getting HOMEWORK in KINDERGARDEN

There are 500 channels on TV and infinite programming on The Internet that will keep the kids out of Mom's hair while she cooks....

The local school districts chopped music and arts because nobody wants to pay the millage for schools...

Liability laws are insane now.. If a kid gets hurt - it's lawsuits till the cows come home...

Etc.

Want to make a difference? Go make a difference. Work with the local elementary school to get musical instrument programs going.... Work with local church groups to get musical instrument programs going.... Kids LOVE music..
Old 11-21-2017, 09:24 AM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
“...Most new music Genres only include a BEAT and or Synth and people screaming nonsense which is NON understandable . Then there's an occasional one that sounds good but very rare . AND THE CROWD CHEERS >? Unbelievable ... ”

This sounds like my father 50-60 yeas ago. I think each generation appreciates music in its own way. Perhaps a shared sense of appreciation emerges. But it’s all good IMO.
I'm an older parent with younger kids. My kids have introduced me to thousands of new songs I never would have heard from friends and musicians my own age. My parents taught me not to judge, just appreciate and Listen to music, of all kinds......Doesn't always work both ways though. Yesterday I played a song for my kids, I recycled from the time I was their age: "Odorono" by the Who, and they thought it was completely lame................
Old 11-21-2017, 09:35 AM

You see a lot of used top brand guitars not moving because in a lot of cases the asking prices are unrealistic. Why would anybody buy a used D18 for $1700 when you can a new one for well...y'all know how much.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 11-21-2017, 01:54 PM

This is reminiscent of "millennials are killing" this and this industry. A big part of the reason I lurk here is to gawk at all the guitars I can in no way realistically afford. I can't help but laugh when I see routinely $1,000-$1,500 guitars described as "affordable." The disposable income is just not there for a lot of younger people or they don't want to fall into the trap of paying off credit for extended periods of time for luxuries that can be attained for significantly cheaper used.
Old 11-21-2017, 02:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkwrm View Post
... I can't help but laugh when I see routinely $1,000-$1,500 guitars described as "affordable." The disposable income is just not there for a lot of younger people or they don't want to fall into the trap of paying off credit for extended periods of time for luxuries that can be attained for significantly cheaper used.
The counter to that is that really good quality guitars are more affordable now that ever before. The availability of really good $300-500 guitars has skyrocketed.

So there are more good guitars cheaper now than ever.

Adjusting for inflation:

A $400 guitar in my day was junk 90% of the time
A $400 guitar today is a good guitar 90% of the time

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 11-21-2017, 02:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
This is reminiscent of "millennials are killing" this and this industry. A big part of the reason I lurk here is to gawk at all the guitars I can in no way realistically afford. I can't help but laugh when I see routinely $1,000-$1,500 guitars described as "affordable." The disposable income is just not there for a lot of younger people or they don't want to fall into the trap of paying off credit for extended periods of time for luxuries that can be attained for significantly cheaper used.
Spot on but this has been true since guitars started. But there is arguably a much bigger selection of reasonable guitars from say $200 to $800 than there ever were
I know that there was no way I could afford a Martin back in 1968

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 11-21-2017, 03:20 PM

Quote:

Lol tell me about it! To me $600+ is already splurging on a guitar. I’m one of those who’s always looking at craigslist for cheap gems. [emoji23]
Old 11-21-2017, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
You see a lot of used top brand guitars not moving because in a lot of cases the asking prices are unrealistic. Why would anybody buy a used D18 for $1700 when you can a new one for well...y'all know how much.

THIS ^^^^ I see it ALL the time...
Old 11-21-2017, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny B View Post
THIS ^^^^ I see it ALL the time...

It’s even worse on Craigslist!
Old 11-21-2017, 06:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
I see a lot of this too. Not sure what the seller is thinking.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic