The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 11-13-2017, 12:20 PM

Default [Original] A song based on my 3rd quarter performance review

This is a silly rough draft of a song that I wrote based on my 3rd quarter performance review. It's pretty simple here but it's been a lot of fun to play in a jam-type setting. I think it should be 'grittier' but my voice just doesn't go that way.

Old 11-13-2017, 12:31 PM
Charter Member

I must say, you summed up how I always felt about the performance reviews I went through. My goal was to do good work. What else is there??? I wasn't willing to climb any corporate ladder, either, and I resented managers who took all the credit for everything done by the people doing the real work. In fact, at some point I decided to get out of the big company corporate structure and instead went to work for a very small manufacturing company of only 18 people.

In this little company I never had a performance review, but I did manage to design every single product that they sell today and took them from a $700,000/year net sales company to $36 million over 38 years. Nice steady growth and excellent profitability all along, through all the ups and downs in the economy. Did I mention that I never had a performance review???

Very nice job on this song! Love it!

- Glenn
Old 11-13-2017, 07:27 PM

Red,I know what you mean. I am so happy to be retired. It made us a nice living but the last 10 years were less than happy with all the screwy corporate edicts and programs and such. I always got very good reviews but they were less than motivating. I didn't really want to climb the corporate ladder either, but you have to fill in a section about "your next job. So I just wrote in the next level of what I was in Engineering. But my last review was just average. I think it had to do with me being near the top of my pay grade and such. I had worked 12-14 hours/day on some new products and equipment to make them and they seemed to be unfazed by my efforts. Luckily, I was eligible for early retirement a few months later so I took off. They claimed they would miss me. Glen, sounds like you had a bit of a dream job there. Of course we know there is always something or someone to act as the fly in the ointment.
Again, happy to be retired and strumming. Even took a shot at writing a couple of gag songs with a 1,4,5 structure. They appear to be only entertaining to me.
Nice job on the song.
Taylor T5Z
Big Muddy Mandolin-Ziricote b&s
Old 11-14-2017, 07:21 AM

Thanks for the listen, Glenn and 62&climbing! It sounds like you were both in technical / engineer fields. Well guess what, I'm also an engineer! It's almost like engineers want to be, you know, engineers.

To be fair, I really do like my job. I just don't like the relentless push to climb the ladder into management. I love mentoring / training / teaching / designing / building / repairing / whatever but I don't particularly care to do HR's dirty work.

And for the record, I'm not too young to retire, I'm too poor to retire!
Old 11-14-2017, 09:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJoker View Post
Thanks for the listen, Glenn and 62&climbing! It sounds like you were both in technical / engineer fields. Well guess what, I'm also an engineer! It's almost like engineers want to be, you know, engineers.

To be fair, I really do like my job. I just don't like the relentless push to climb the ladder into management. I love mentoring / training / teaching / designing / building / repairing / whatever but I don't particularly care to do HR's dirty work.

And for the record, I'm not too young to retire, I'm too poor to retire!
Hi RedJoker,

Yes, I was (and am) an engineer. Mechanical...

I didn't retire from full time work until age 68, about a year and a half ago, and I still work remotely for this same company about 15 hours/week. I like working and doing useful things, but I needed to retire from full time work to give my blood pressure a break. It's better now, though I still take medication.

There is no hurry to retire, RedJoker. Enjoy the work as much as you can. It's a good thing to do work that moves humanity forward, it's good to share you knowledge and to mentor others. Many engineers seem to be really good teachers. I certainly valued that role, and it sounds like you do, too.

Take care and don't take the performance reviews too hard.

- Glenn
Old 11-16-2017, 10:26 PM
Charter Member

Well that was very nicely done! In my mind I heard it flow right into 5 o'clock Somewhere 🍺🍺
Old 11-17-2017, 10:54 PM

I like it too.Has a Jimmy Buffett insouciance...I hope that's the right word..haha.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell