The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 11-07-2017, 07:37 PM

Default Walden neck removal

Hi folks, new here. I have a Walden D550 that's a low level Walden but I've always loved the sound. But the neck needs a reset. I have done this job on other acoustic brands successfully, but my understanding is that the Walden's use a bolt-on neck!

Hummm...I don't see any bolt heads inside the body, just a patch of dark wood with the Walden name on it. Is that covering the bolt head(s)?? And if so, how do I remove it?

Any help will be most appreciated! Thanks!
Old 11-08-2017, 05:09 AM

Welcome to the forum!

If the "patch" you are referring to is definitely applied , and not an integral part of the neck block, then yes, it will be a plate covering the bolts. This is how many manufacturers disguise the holes.

With any luck, it will be very lightly glued and will prise off quite easily. The rosewood cover plate on my Circa OM was so lightly glued it came off unintentionally, and I never did get round to fixing it back on.
Old 11-08-2017, 05:51 AM

Remove the plate, the bolts are recessed into the neck block, from memory they are a 1/4 inch Allen key

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 11-08-2017, 12:45 PM

Default Yes, but how?

I cannot see any edge to get any tool under the plate to free it. It appears to be "fitted" into the block. There must be a way. I would write Walden about it but they are out of business. Any ideas?
Old 11-08-2017, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtpolk View Post
I cannot see any edge to get any tool under the plate to free it. It appears to be "fitted" into the block. There must be a way. I would write Walden about it but they are out of business. Any ideas?
I'd use a little awl or pick around the edge (gently) to try to dislodge the plate. Possibly glued? I'd be surprised if they just used an interference fit due to wood expanding/contracting with different humidity, age, etc. A little humid, and out it would pop.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Tags
neck removal, walden