The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 05-19-2015, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noman View Post
It's all part of the "folk process". People are always scratching their heads when I do a cover. I thought your version was well-spirited and reminds me a lot of the Folk Revolution of the 60s.

noman
Not sure what the "folk process" is, to be honest. Otherwise, thanks for the sentiment.

On a side note (he he) there was a time when I took music seriously, which I'm now thinking is counter-intuitive to its purpose, and I just put it out there as I feel I want to play it. It works for me now whereas before it was the other way around.

If there needs to be a reference, or a standard, for the way each song should be played I'd probably not bother reading it. Not these days, anyway.
Old 05-19-2015, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitar View Post
Not sure what the "folk process" is, to be honest. Otherwise, thanks for the sentiment.

On a side note (he he) there was a time when I took music seriously, which I'm now thinking is counter-intuitive to its purpose, and I just put it out there as I feel I want to play it. It works for me now whereas before it was the other way around.

If there needs to be a reference, or a standard, for the way each song should be played I'd probably not bother reading it. Not these days, anyway.
Lol, we are both talking pretty much the same thing. Here's the definition of "folk process" from wikipedia:

Quote:
In the study of folklore, the folk process is the way folk material, especially stories, music, and other art, is transformed and re-adapted in the process of its transmission from person to person and from generation to generation. The folk process defines a community—the "folk community"—in and through which folklore is transmitted. While there is a place for professional and trained performers in a folk community, it is the act of refinement and creative change by community members within the folk tradition that defines the folk process.[1]
All hail wikipedia! Right, always play it as you feel it...

noman

Undefined People Music Site
Old 05-19-2015, 04:48 PM

Ha! Exactly. Guess I'm just an old folkie, then. Thanks for the reference.
Old 05-28-2015, 03:39 PM

I enjoyed that very much. You put your own stamp on it, and thats what a cover should really do. Well done !
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague
Old 05-28-2015, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GibbyPrague View Post
I enjoyed that very much. You put your own stamp on it, and thats what a cover should really do. Well done !
Thanks much. As often as I've heard the original artists change things up I figure why should I be different. So, with much respect in tow I play them my own way these days. Thanks again.
Old 05-29-2015, 10:03 PM
Charter Member

Very good!

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell