The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Closed Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 02:59 PM
Charter Member

Default Toby Walker's Lessons: Let's Discuss!

I thought I'd start a thread for those working with Toby's materials (as well for those considering them).

I just purchased his "C" and "E" blues packs and am working on Blind Lemon Jefferson's "Bad Luck Blues" in C. What a great little ditty this one is....it is not a difficult piece to learn and it gets you sounding bluesy pretty quickly. I had it down in a couple of minutes. I am now on the next lesson, "Lemon Licks," which Toby shows you C licks that you can incorporate into the song lessons. The videos are well done and easy to follow, and the tab is unencumbered, which allows for variation and experimentation, e.g., with your own slides, bends, pull offs, etc.

Anyone else working on these materials? I am having a blast...
Old 07-28-2013, 03:27 PM

I bought the E and A packs, and started the E pack first. Up to lesson 2 now, the E box licks and am finding myself completely spastic. I felt the same way when starting to learn Travis picking and I got past that. These are really fun to blend into whatever I'm playing and improvise with, too.

On another note, the southerner in me says anyone that'll wear a Moon Pie shirt is all right by me. Anybody know where Toby hails from originally?

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 07-28-2013, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintj View Post
On another note, the southerner in me says anyone that'll wear a Moon Pie shirt is all right by me. Anybody know where Toby hails from originally?
Long Island.

Google is your friend.

I probably won't start Toby's lessons until I finish a blues book I'm working through, which is meant for electric. I just wanted to jump on Toby's sale now!
Old 07-30-2013, 08:53 PM
Charter Member

Aw come on Dave! It's just Clintj and me so far...
Old 07-31-2013, 06:17 AM

I've got the A, C and E packs from Toby. I've only gone through the C pack so far, and it's got a lot of great stuff in it. I also have bought several tab/video lessons from him of specific tunes, and they are great. He's very good at explaining what he's doing in the video, and showing how to do it. And the tabs are clear and accurate. He also seems quite accessible if you need some help on something. Toby is a great player, a fine teacher, and a nice guy to boot. You won't go wrong buying his lessons.

He frequents this forum every now and then, too, so he may chime in here.

Jack
Old 08-02-2013, 03:18 AM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

I'm sure glad that you're getting a lot out of those lessons gang. If you have any questions I'll be more than happy to help you out.

If anyone else is interested in seeing what some of these lessons are like then check out this link:

http://www.littletobywalker.com/lesson-downloads.html

Last edited by Toby Walker; 01-14-2014 at 07:54 AM.
Old 08-02-2013, 04:24 AM

Hi all I've just purchased E and C packs and just looked at lesson 3 of the E pack this morning. (D shape)
The first couple of lessons have already got me noodling away.
I think I'm going to have to discipline myself not to rush through these though. I need to let each one sink in before moving on. Otherwise I'm going to end up just learning the tabs which would be missing the point.
Old 08-02-2013, 05:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftArm View Post
Hi all I've just purchased E and C packs and just looked at lesson 3 of the E pack this morning. (D shape)
The first couple of lessons have already got me noodling away.
I think I'm going to have to discipline myself not to rush through these though. I need to let each one sink in before moving on. Otherwise I'm going to end up just learning the tabs which would be missing the point.
You're working your way though the CAGED system which once mastered will really help open up the fingerboard for you. From that point you'll be able to transpose chords and licks to any other key.

Keep up the good work!
Old 08-02-2013, 08:13 AM

Thumbs up

I got my A and E lessons this week. Not only am I learning, but I am thoroughly enjoying them!! Concur with all the above comments, good stuff.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:22 AM

I'm on vacation for a week starting today, so I'll have some serious free time for practicing. The E box licks are coming along nicely, and I'm starting to regain the ability to keep the thumb on time like I can when Travis picking. Figured out that being in a shuffle instead of straight time, and not playing a set pattern, were what was tripping me up. Still enjoying it very much, and I know that I learn fastest when challenged with new material so this is very timely.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 08-02-2013, 01:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintj View Post
I'm on vacation for a week starting today, so I'll have some serious free time for practicing. The E box licks are coming along nicely, and I'm starting to regain the ability to keep the thumb on time like I can when Travis picking. Figured out that being in a shuffle instead of straight time, and not playing a set pattern, were what was tripping me up. Still enjoying it very much, and I know that I learn fastest when challenged with new material so this is very timely.
Working a shuffle in the bass requires you to think a tad differently - playing the bass line on the 1st and 3rd notes of the triplet while improvising on top. If you're adding quarter note licks on top then pinch those with the first part of the triplet. With eight notes pinch all the notes together.

I'm on the road right now but when I get back ill make a short video and post it here to illustrate what I mean.
Old 08-02-2013, 01:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duveex View Post
I got my A and E lessons this week. Not only am I learning, but I am thoroughly enjoying them!! Concur with all the above comments, good stuff.
Real glad to hear that! Nothing makes me happier than when I see the light going on.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:08 PM
Charter Member

Still enjoying the C pack and am now working on the Lemon licks lesson. I'm not sure where to include a lick (or which one) in Bad Luck Blues. Any suggestions?
Old 08-02-2013, 09:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueser100 View Post
Still enjoying the C pack and am now working on the Lemon licks lesson. I'm not sure where to include a lick (or which one) in Bad Luck Blues. Any suggestions?
When I play the song I'll add licks after I sing a verse which usually after two to three measures, very typical of the blues format. These places generally occur in measures 3, 4, 7 and 8. For example:

Measures 1 & 2: sing as you play the 'Bad Luck Blues ' theme lick which is against the C chord ( that's shown in the tab ).
Measures 3 & 4: improvise or throw in any of those Lemon Licks you've learned.
Measures 5 & 6: play the Bad Luck Blues theme lick over the F chord (also shown in the tab).
Measures 7 & 8: add in more Lemon Licks of your choice.
Measures 9 - 12: finish playing the song as shown in the tab.

Now there's no set rules here...many times I'll break them myself. The example I used is typical of a 12 bar blues format and will work quite well, but you always solo using as many licks as you like throughout the entire song.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:55 PM
Charter Member

Thanks Toby. I see that the "Bad Luck Blues with Extras" is exactly what you are talking about. Worked through that version today and it really spices up the tune! Only thing I was wondering is, you said sing as I play but I have no idea about the lyrics. Is there a lyric sheet in the materials somewhere?
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write