The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 05-14-2016, 12:25 PM

Default Can you suggest some unaccompanied bluegrass pieces?

I don't know much about bluegrass and was wondering if there are any solo or unaccompanied guitar pieces out there.

Nothing too difficult please.
Old 05-14-2016, 05:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jds22 View Post

Nothing too difficult please.
Kind of an oxymoron when it comes to solo bluegrass guitar playing.....

Flatpick Guitar Magazine has a songbook by Roberto Della Vecchia that might be your ticket. 10 classic fiddle tunes arranged for solo flatpicking that sound pretty good and are fun to play. A digital version can be purchased at www.flatpickdigital.com.

Of course if you want to drive yourself crazy, pick up a copy of David Grier's 'I've Got The House To Myself'

D
Old 05-14-2016, 05:27 PM

The Fiddlers Fake Book contains loads of fiddle tunes, some of which are bluegrass tunes. They are in standard notation form and, as such, are an excellent way to learn reading standard notation.
Old 05-14-2016, 05:59 PM

As mentioned, Bluegrass is not a solo venue, it is totally based on a band.

Many tunes used in bluegrass come from traditional ballads and fiddle tunes and many of those were solo in nature. When you play them solo, you are really playing Old Time or Traditional music. In fact, many of those tunes have origins in Scotland, Ireland, and England.
Old 05-15-2016, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhodgeh View Post
Kind of an oxymoron when it comes to solo bluegrass guitar playing.....

Flatpick Guitar Magazine has a songbook by Roberto Della Vecchia that might be your ticket. 10 classic fiddle tunes arranged for solo flatpicking that sound pretty good and are fun to play. A digital version can be purchased at www.flatpickdigital.com.
Robert has a couple of Truefire courses with some nice things. His song "Ticket to Cesuna" is very nice. You can get 30 days free trial access or just buy the thing.

"Ticket To Cesuna" http://picosong.com/B4y9/
Old 05-17-2016, 09:30 AM

Try this guy-

http://www.musicwithryan.com/all-video-lessons/

I wonder if you are thinking of older traditional songs not necessarily bluegrass?

I have used his lessons for-

You are my sunshine
Worried man blues
Wayfaring Stranger
Will the circle be unbroken
Wildwood Flower
I'll fly away
Amazing Grace
Old 05-17-2016, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
As mentioned, Bluegrass is not a solo venue, it is totally based on a band.

Many tunes used in bluegrass come from traditional ballads and fiddle tunes and many of those were solo in nature. When you play them solo, you are really playing Old Time or Traditional music. In fact, many of those tunes have origins in Scotland, Ireland, and England.
Although Bluegrass is definitely an ensemble-based genre, most accomplished bluegrass guitarist I know of have a collection of great solo flatpicked tunes in their bag.

I've certainly heard great solo stuff from Tony Rice, Norman Blake, Robert Bowlin, Jim Hurst, James Allen Shelton, Larry Sparks, Dan Tyminsky, Doc Watson, Allen Shadd....Bryan Sutton has several solo-worthy pieces in his Artistworks curriculum; and I'm leaving out way too many other great guitarists....

To the OP - search Youtube for 'Wildwood Flower easy guitar' - you'll get a bunch of hits, pick the one that suits you. This Carter Family song has become a standard flatpick repertoire tune that can be played simply or dressed up with a lot of embellishments.
Old 05-18-2016, 12:48 PM

I've played in a lot of bluegrass bands over the years, but my favorite way to play a lot of those songs is just me and my guitar. For the lead stuff, I'll usually do a simpler Carter-style lead or some crosspicking, and then a couple of fiddle tunes just for flash (but I keep those short).

That said, look at some things like "Gold Watch And Chain", "Handsome Molly", "Pretty Little Miss" - those are songs where Carter-style playing works really well.

"Will You Miss Me?", and "Wheeling", maybe "Weave And Spin" - those all have good room for crosspicking solos, as does something a little more folky, like "Summer Wages."

I like the modal stuff for fiddle tunes, so something like "Fall Of Richmond", or "Frosty Morning" are nice, "Boneparte Crossing The Rockies" (not to be confused with when he crossed the Rhine ). A good slower one (if you choose to play it slowly) is "Farewell To Whiskey" - really beautiful tune.
Old 05-18-2016, 12:54 PM

I would say anything played in that "crosspicking" style, which provides a good amount of self-accompanyment--could hold up as a solo piece.

I listen to Tony Rice play in some of those instructional videos, and I'm not missing a backup band one bit. Dang.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write