The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 01-13-2012, 11:01 PM
Charter Member

Default Experiences With Alhambra Professional or Ramirez 125 Anos?

Its been years since I've owned a classical guitar and that was an inexpensive Giannani, which was the only guitar I owned for a couple of years. I'm thinking of buying another one (used if I can find a good one). I'm looking for a very responsive and powerful guitar and I believe I want to go into the direction of a spruce top, though I'm not locked into that. I also want one with a 52mm neck with a relatively slender neck profile.

I'm probably going to have to buy without playing unless I can find something used in a Nashville area guitar shop. Based on the research I've done including sound clips and reviews, several look interesting including the Cordoba Solista, Manuel Rodriguez FC, and especially the Jose Ramirez 125 Anos, and most especially the Alhambra Linea Professional.

I would love to have any comments from those who have tried or own any of these and especially the Jose Ramirez and Alhambra. This sound clip in particular has me drooling http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXCv-TqTtGI

Martin 0000-18 12-Fret Adi/Sinker Mahogany

Last edited by oldrocker; 01-13-2012 at 11:29 PM.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

Default Lapatrie Collection

Looks like not a lot of experience with these. I don't have a chance to try out anything due to my work and family schedule in the forseable future so I decided to see if I enjoy getting back into some classical playing on the less expensive side and if it doesn't work out or it does and I decide to move on to the more expensive guitars I'll put it up for sale here on the AGF.

So I ordered a Godin Lapatrie Collection. I like the idea of a truss rod and thinner neck and the many reviews that consistently report these as easy to play with good tone. I like some of the sound clips I've heard though you really can't tell a lot from those.

I'll post something about this guitar in a week or two. In the mean time, please feel free to comment if you have any experiences or thoughts about this guitar.

Old 01-16-2012, 02:46 PM

You might check out Ahlambra USA webb site. Geoff Ferdon is the US distributor. The warehouse is located in Ashville, NC. Ahlambra makes a great classical.

Tom
Old 01-16-2012, 04:38 PM

I can't speak to the Ramirez or the Alhambra Professional Series; although I have an Alhambra "Luthier Rio" with which I am very pleased.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:48 PM
Charter Member

Thanks Tom & Scott. I'll have to keep that warehouse in mind next time I'm in the Greenville area. The luthier Rio also looks interesting.

In addition to the power these are suposed to be known for and the great sound in the clipa I've heard, one thing that sounded appealing about the progessional series is that they were suposedly re-designed with a slimer neck profile.

I'm hoping to find some of these Alhambras to play--in addition to some other higher end classical brands.

Old 01-17-2012, 01:55 PM

Oldrocker,

AGF member min7b5, Eric Skye played my Alhambra and seemed to think it was a keeper, great tone and beautiful Brazilian/Cedar woods.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcloud View Post
Oldrocker,

AGF member min7b5, Eric Skye played my Alhambra and seemed to think it was a keeper, great tone and beautiful Brazilian/Cedar woods.
OK, I'll be looking for Alhambras to play. This is the video that got me interested in Alhambra: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DHvn3nZ-9w

Old 01-18-2012, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldrocker View Post
OK, I'll be looking for Alhambras to play. This is the video that got me interested in Alhambra: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DHvn3nZ-9w
If you're looking at the $2K and up classical guitar world, I'd definitely go used...it's a buyers market and you find some smokin' deals from private sellers if you stay patient. Luthier built beats factory built any day of the week.

Good luck!
Old 01-18-2012, 10:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogsnax View Post
If you're looking at the $2K and up classical guitar world, I'd definitely go used...it's a buyers market and you find some smokin' deals from private sellers if you stay patient. Luthier built beats factory built any day of the week.

Good luck!
Good advice and that's what I do with acoustics and cars I've got to educate myself to know what would work best for me then start looking in the used market.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:11 AM

I'm no classical guitar player but the Ramirez 125 Anos spruce tops that I played were very nicely finished, very responsive and resonant. FWIW the appointments are quite colourful, which I like...
Old 01-18-2012, 12:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeNewbie View Post
I'm no classical guitar player but the Ramirez 125 Anos spruce tops that I played were very nicely finished, very responsive and resonant. FWIW the appointments are quite colourful, which I like...
Joe...That's consistent with some of the reviews I've read about them and what some of the clips seem to show (e.g.) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7ipJyFIv0w

How did the necks feel on the ones you played?

Old 01-18-2012, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldrocker View Post
Joe...That's consistent with some of the reviews I've read about them and what some of the clips seem to show (e.g.) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7ipJyFIv0w

How did the necks feel on the ones you played?
I'm not the best person to ask about necks because I like them all and play them all... This is a student model and I didn't notice that it was particularly deep or shallow.

But mostly it was the sound that grabbed me -- perhaps because I'm not a classical guitar player... Of all the guitars that were in the room (several of them were higher end models), the spruce 125 Anos really stood out to my ears. A purist could disagree but IMHO it sounded great.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical