The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-18-2018, 10:03 AM

Default This time - DE-humdification question

When humidity levels are so low that my house and room humidifiers can't keep up I put my guitars in their cases with a case humidifier. I've been using the D'Addario/Planet Waves sponge models.

In the summer (please come soon) when my home dehumidifier sometimes gets overwhelmed, I was wondering if throwing a few silica salt desiccant packets in the case would be recommended to keep things stable.

Are there any contraindications?

I receive equipment supplies for my business and I'm always throwing those little packets away. Maybe I can put them to good use.
Old 02-18-2018, 10:14 AM

D'Addario makes a single item for inside the case that addresses both over and under humidification.
Old 02-18-2018, 10:36 AM

Don't you use AC? That usually removes enough humidity for me. I mean 60% humidity for a little bit won't hurt.
1968 Yamaha FG-180
Old 02-18-2018, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomiv9 View Post
Don't you use AC? That usually removes enough humidity for me. I mean 60% humidity for a little bit won't hurt.
My problem is it's 70 degrees today with 74% humidity. Not warm enough to warrant running the AC. I'm looking to buy a de-humidifer to get me buy until the hot weather comes and I'm running the AC all day.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:29 AM

Daddario humidi-paks help me reduce humidity, great customer service as well
Old 02-18-2018, 12:04 PM
Charter Member

I would suggest considering either the Boveda/D’addario Humipaks if you want to keep a reasonable level of RH in a situation where there is quite some variance, or as you mention to use Silica Gel if you are mostly concerned about dehumidification.

Silica Gel that can be regenerated it is very cheap to purchase on line. (e.g. Amazon)

I have tried both approaches and because I am affected more by high RH during the summer here, I have found Silica Gel to be the most practical.

Here is a thread where the OP has provided a good insight into how he went about things:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=463489

My music Website or Soundcloud
Some videos on Youtube
Old 02-18-2018, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodB View Post
...Here is a thread where the OP has provided a good insight into how he went about things:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=463489
Thanks!

I know there are guitar-specific products out there that will do the job, but I'm throwing these packets away weekly so I was curious if I could put them to good use. I hate to waste anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomiv9 View Post
Don't you use AC? That usually removes enough humidity for me.
No more than I have to. A 100+ year old house with 13+ rooms not including the basement and halls never designed for AC, and even then I wouldn't want to pay the bills to cool this place down. (Heating it is no treat, either. ).

Quote:
I mean 60% humidity for a little bit won't hurt.
I'm really not obsessed with humidity levels, but I do tend to keep an eye on things for my guitar's sake. I almost lost one years ago before I knew these things. That sorta kinda makes one pay attention.
Old 02-19-2018, 02:53 PM

Summers for me are generally ~90ºF and ~75% RH during the heat of the day... More like 75ºF and 95% RH at 8am.

Indoors with AC, it's about 72º and 65% RH...

I might give my truss rod a tweak, but honestly my action hardly changes, but the guitar sounds like garbage compared to ~40% in the winter.

Keeping one of the 1lb desiccant packs in the case can keep the humidity down to ~45% for a week or so - then I have to bake/dry the packs.

I find it's worth the hassle to keep the guitar(s) sounding nice.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion