The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-18-2018, 08:37 AM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY
Default guitar hanging from headstock on guitar stand

I've been wondering about this. There are many guitar stands where my guitar would hang from the headstock, without having arms at the bottom of the stand to hold my guitar. How come the headstock doesn't loosen or have other problems? Thanks.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 02-18-2018, 08:42 AM

The headstock is not a weak point of the guitar. It’s designed to withstand the pressure of the strings. It can easily handle the weight of the guitar body.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Fender Stratocaster
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Old 02-18-2018, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle76 View Post
The headstock is not a weak point of the guitar. It’s designed to withstand the pressure of the strings. It can easily handle the weight of the guitar body.
As long as you hang out mostly on Earth, this is correct. However, the stand is still one of the most vulnerable places to leave a guitar due to environmental hazards. You know, kids, pets, drunks, vacuums........
Old 02-18-2018, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antaren View Post
I've been wondering about this. There are many guitar stands where my guitar would hang from the headstock, without having arms at the bottom of the stand to hold my guitar. How come the headstock doesn't loosen or have other problems? Thanks.
There is so little weight hanging as not to matter. Ever weigh your guitar? The ONLY stands I use on stage are hanging stands ... Ultimate S100. At home the guitars live in their cases at all times, except for a beater that's always out and available for when the muse strikes.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antaren View Post
Because the weight from the guitar is about 4 pounds and the string tension the opposite direction is about 200 pounds.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 02-18-2018, 09:33 AM

For decades, mine have been hanging from stands (24/7) except when they're on my lap. I've never seen that cause any issues.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
In addition these forces are acting in opposite directions.

The string force is actually compressing the neck with, say, 200 pounds.

The weight of the body is pulling the neck with, say, 4-5 pounds.

so the compression forces on the headstock are reduced from 200 to, say, 195 pounds but are still compressive.

Anyway it's trivial because its so tiny compared to the strength of the guitar.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 02-18-2018, 09:36 AM
Charter Member

I suspect most of the guitars owned by those on this forum spent a good deal of time hanging on a wall in some store, and many are still hanging on walls in dens, living rooms and man caves. It don't hurt the geetar none.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:46 AM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

Thanks for the info. Sounds like having arms on the bottom isn't any safer, at least to the headstock.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 02-18-2018, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Not only that, but the weight of the guitar helps counter the tension on the strings, albeit only slightly.

I ONLY use hanging stands. They're easy to use and IMO harder to knock over [think- the toy clown riding a unicyle on a string with counterweights hanging down].

I have this stand.
>>>>>>>https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GtrStdHang Weighs only 2 lbs. Costs only $20. Folds small (22"). My daughter has the Ultimate 100 stand and I like mine better because it has the leg reinforcements which make the thing stable. Easy to take on gigs as I can hold my guitar case and stand in one hand. I can't really think of any negatives. Even though it's cheap and light it for sure meets my needs in all areas.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 02-18-2018, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
As long as you hang out mostly on Earth, this is correct. However, the stand is still one of the most vulnerable places to leave a guitar due to environmental hazards. You know, kids, pets, drunks, vacuums........
You may think they're well-trained, but it's safest to not allow intoxicated puppies to do any housework whatsoever.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 02-18-2018, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
My daughter has the Ultimate 100 stand and I like mine better because it has the leg reinforcements which make the thing stable.
As long as you click the little red knob into place the S100 is perfectly stable, as it is designed to be.
Old 02-18-2018, 03:53 PM

Walk into any guitar store & you'll see not only acoustic guitars hanging by the headstock, but Les Pauls & other relatively heavy electrics, even big-ticket vintage jobs. It's not a problem.
Old 02-18-2018, 04:08 PM

The only problem I’ve encountered with hanging my guitars like that is neck stretch. A couple of my short scale models are getting close to 25.4”.
Old 02-18-2018, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misifus View Post
The only problem I’ve encountered with hanging my guitars like that is neck stretch. A couple of my short scale models are getting close to 25.4”.
Careful, the OP may take that seriously.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion