The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-17-2018, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip Carter View Post
Sweetwater will match all comers
They wouldn't for me when I bought my Martin
Old 02-17-2018, 07:12 PM

Really... my rep has always nail it for me.

My site: Personal Blog

Yamaha LL16R-12 L Series A.R.E.
Yamaha FG-75
Fender CF 60 CE
Ibanez AF75TDG
Epiphone Les Paul Std PlusPRO
Eastman MB515 Mando
Yamaha YPT230 Keyboard
Old 02-17-2018, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip Carter View Post
Really... my rep has always nail it for me.
Nope. They said they warrantee it longer or something like that and would not match GC 15% off. Guess where I bought it from? Also, if I returned it for whatever reason, I had to pay shipping back. Surprised me.

Maybe if I had bought from them before. That's probably the difference. I would love for the sales guy to email me and tell me they will price match. I have spent over 6k the last year on guitars and equipment. Probably 10k this year. Would love to send my business to them.
Old 02-17-2018, 07:24 PM
Charter Member

If I was buying a Martin or Taylor, then for sure use a sponsor. Other than that, MF is great. Fast shipping, never had a problem. The best thing is the points you earn when buying. They add up quickly and you can save lots of money. I've saved hundreds on stuff I was going to buy anyway.
Old 02-17-2018, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpaul73 View Post
Currently they are offering 15% off. I could save $400 on a D-18 over buying it from Sweetwater. They look reputable. Has anyone bought from them?

Also, when picking one, is the weight significant for how the guitar might sound?
Bought from MF many many many times. Guitars, Bass, Amps, Drums, Keyboards, they've always treated me fairly. Sign up for backstage pass and get rebates towards future purchases. Use their card for 0% financing.

People tend to like lighter weight guitars, but there isn't always a correlation with the sound. I've heard all weights of guitars that sound great.
Old 02-17-2018, 07:37 PM

This is the kind of feedback I needed that (for me) makes it a no brainer to buy the D18 from MF for $2090, 0% financing, and sign for backstage pass. Thanks for the help!
Old 02-17-2018, 07:43 PM

I bought my CEO7 from them with Private Reserve help/support and it was a great experience. Even if the D18 isn’t on the Private Reserve list, just call them and make them walk you through the order . I bought some electrics and my Guild D25 from them back in the 90s too. Always a good experience.
Old 02-17-2018, 08:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
This is the kind of feedback I needed that (for me) makes it a no brainer to buy the D18 from MF for $2090, 0% financing, and sign for backstage pass. Thanks for the help!
Maury's Music is a forum sponsor and a very reputable Martin dealer. He'll beat your MF price on a D-18, and you can get 0% financing for 6 months.
Old 02-18-2018, 05:31 AM

Quote:
and good experiences I take it?
Good, bad, and indifferent. I have never been ripped-off. Just remember that they are a huge online business with an army of different individuals answering the phones. Do your homework before you buy, and don't expect them to be experts on all of their inventory.
Old 02-18-2018, 06:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bojangles View Post
Good, bad, and indifferent. I have never been ripped-off. Just remember that they are a huge online business with an army of different individuals answering the phones. Do your homework before you buy, and don't expect them to be experts on all of their inventory.
Same here, especially in the reference to the multiple CS reps and base knowledge of products. A couple weeks ago i tired to get for myself a level 3 nylon string that seemed to never be in stock though the website and reps said otherwise. its was a bit of a cluster in general , i just cancelled everything and bought it new from the GC 45 mins from me...
Sweetwater is really nice too, I can call my "Sales Engineer" and basically tell him what i want and have it two days later. They are very good about product happiness, i had a can of Fast Fret that was dried out when i ordered it, they emailed and sent me a new one within a week of me posting my online review.
Both companies are excellent, just their strengths in slightly different areas.
Squier Sonic Pbass
Acoustic 30 watt Bass Amp
Ampeg 20watt bass amp
Old 02-18-2018, 06:27 AM

I would verify that you still get the 0% financing. At Guitar Center (same company) you get either the financing or the discount, not both.
Old 02-18-2018, 07:36 AM
AGF Sponsor

A big shout-out for Maury's and also LA Guitars. Great prices, great service, great knowledge and experience with what they sell. I used to do a fair amount of business with MF for stuff like electronics but have switched to Sweetwater due to their excellent follow-up and customer service, although neither has particularly deep discounts. FWIW, because MF gets so many returns for various reasons due to their vary liberal return policy I would never buy anything from one of their "warehouse specials" sales as I think - cannot confirm this however - that a good percentage of that gear may have been returned merchandise. I know that some have done fine with those deals but I'm not willing to take a chance on something that was returned.
Old 02-18-2018, 07:55 AM
Charter Member

I have had some issues with Musicians Friend. Sharp fret ends being one. The best one was when I bought a Blues Junior Amp and it was shipped with two loose pedals inside the same box. That was ugly. I just bought an H4N Pro recorder. It was shipped with someone else's receipt and packing info.

I'll use them for less expensive guitars but wouldn't even consider buying an expensive guitar from them. I've sent several inexpensive guitars back for things like a twisted neck, finish problems, pickups that don't pick up, lifting bridge, etc. On the other hand I've also had issues with some forum sponsors - crease dents, sharp fret ends, overcharges. Whenever you buy a guitar without holding it in your hands, you take a chance. That said, like several others have recommended, I'll use Maury's Music for my next Martin. Good prices and no issues.
Old 02-18-2018, 07:58 AM

I’ve bought several mid-priced instruments from them. Never a problem. Very fast shipping, items arrived in perfect shape...
Old 02-18-2018, 09:14 AM

I have 2 G&L's bought from MF, 4 Hercules stands, 2 acoustics, & tons of other stuff too - yeah, they are very reputable.

I have bought many times from Sweetwater as well.

If I was buying a D-18 I would check out several sponsors first. Many of them offer financing options too.

For buying low-middle end stuff MF is hard to beat.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion