The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-13-2018, 01:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
I get it now. It's not about the bass, it's not about the volume, it's about tone and comfort.
I agree. Over the last decade, I've migrated to the smaller-bodied guitars too. I'm happiest with the 00 and 0 sizes. The first 00 I ever owned was a 00-15M which was just a joy.

I think the smaller sizes are more focused, especially with Mahogany B/S. The sound is more precise, less muddy... and that's what I like. They're great to play... great to hear.
Old 02-13-2018, 01:57 PM

Looks like a Martin-oriented thread . . .

Respectfully suggest that Gibson Js are super comfortable to some.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:10 PM

Comfort = play more inspired guitar
Old 02-13-2018, 05:22 PM
Charter Member

Well I have to disagree. It's about balance, tonal balance. Dreads are bass heavy. And that does have it's attractions. Hearing the bass and trebles in equal balance just sounds correct and right. The mids and trebles sound a little more pronounced because they are not being played along side an over weighted bass. After getting use to 00s an 000s a dread can seem like a design that didn't work because it's so unbalanced. Just my opinion.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 02-13-2018, 08:02 PM
Charter Member

WEll, I'm glad you finally "get it"... although I have to say that I MUCH prefer the tone and volume of a smaller bodied instrument, as opposed to a dreadnought...

So many (all?) dreadnoughts are designed to have "scooped mids", and that isn't a sound I find attractive at all... to my way of thinking (and hearing!), nearly ALL of what the human ear can "hear" falls into that mid-range category, from low-mid to high-mid, and I WANT to hear those sounds!

Lastly, the general "folk size/shape" guitars will many times be MUCH more responsive, dynamically, to a lighter attack, as well as "holding up" to a stronger right hand very well.

I have a Goodall Grand Concert, which is pretty much the same shape/size as James' OMs and OOO models... mine has a redwood top with mahogany back and sides. The redwood gives the notes incredible acceleration with even a soft touch, just the fastest responding top I've ever played... and the mahogany brings it's directness and strong mids to the fore... although that guitar is "small", I've played it at old-time music sessions with 2 other guitars, 2 fiddles, 2 banjos, mandolin and autoharp... and that little Goodall cut through it all!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 02-18-2018, 10:47 AM

I wanted to post another sample of this fine guitar....a little Julian Lage inspiration, Butter and Eggs

https://soundcloud.com/user-956456543/butter-and-eggs

And, my original

https://soundcloud.com/user-956456543/butter-and-eggs

brought to you by the simple iPhone mic...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion