The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-08-2018, 02:42 AM

Default Pair of condenser mics or a single?

Very very new to the recording side of things and so I have no knowledge here. I already have a scarlett solo which has a plugin for a 1/4" cable and an XLR input.
Question here is, would I need 2 XLR jacks for a pair of mics or do they somehow connect to one jack?

If I'd need 2 xlr inputs, then Ill just get a single mic.

Looking at an AKG perception 170 for a single...any other budget recommendations? Max $150, and just recording basic slower paced fingerstyle songs.

Thanks!
Old 02-08-2018, 04:02 AM

Each microphone needs its own XLR input, so best to just get a single.

I expect you know already but I guess it won't hurt to say that microphones don't come with XLR cables. If you need one, there's no need to spend a lot on it - for what you need a cheap one will do fine.
Old 02-08-2018, 08:42 AM

You might want to search for some used deals on mics (reverb.com, etc). The AKG P170 is $99, the next AKG model up is the P220 - an LDC (large diameter condenser), $150 new and is a nice bit of kit, with included shockmount, switchable hi-pass filter and pad built in, and it comes in a neat metal case..

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 02-08-2018, 09:00 AM

I have a Seagull Peppino signature Jumbo Steel string and have recently recorded a demo using a pair of Rhode M5 condensor mics (with some of the 1/4 inch direct out also mixed in). Really impressed with the quality for the price.

https://soundcloud.com/lefunk-3/lelo...ideo-demo-2018
http://www.twitter.com/lefunk_band
http://www.soundcloud.com/lefunk-3
Old 02-08-2018, 11:41 AM

For solo acoustic I usually like two SDCs, but since you only have one preamp/input I'd go with an LDC. Their are a lot of good ones for not a lot of cash, at least compared to what was available back when I started 20 years ago.
Old 02-08-2018, 12:51 PM

It depends on your style of music.

For decent fingerstyle I’d always use two small diaphragm condensers.

But, for stunning I’d be happier with a larger and warmer large condenser.

How would you describe your style?
Martin J40
Old 02-08-2018, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Howell View Post
It depends on your style of music.

For decent fingerstyle I’d always use two small diaphragm condensers.

But, for stunning I’d be happier with a larger and warmer large condenser.

How would you describe your style?
Thanks for the responses folks.
What would you all say about using XLR to 1/4 adapter for 1 mic and then the regular xlr for the other? Would there be a significant loss of signal?

This is really just for personal enjoyment and sharing with friends so nothing too professional. But still a decent quality recording.

As for my style, think Julian Page's Day and Age. That's about the most upbeat piece id play. I enjoy slower paced instrumentals of modern pop songs too (Ed Sheehan and the like).
Old 02-08-2018, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChalkLitIScream View Post
What would you all say about using XLR to 1/4 adapter for 1 mic and then the regular xlr for the other? Would there be a significant loss of signal?
Yes, and also the tone would be different. You could try to correct both in the computer, hard to say how successful that would be. But since this is just for personal and social enjoyment I suggest you go with one microphone for now (and buying used is a good plan here) then if you want to take things further you can get a two, or more, channel audio interface later on.
Old 02-08-2018, 02:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

This is really just for personal enjoyment and sharing with friends so nothing too professional. But still a decent quality recording.

As for my style, think Julian Page's Day and Age. That's about the most upbeat piece id play. I enjoy slower paced instrumentals of modern pop songs too (Ed Sheehan and the like).
You cannot connect a microphone directly to the second ¼" input on the Scarlett Solo. What you can do is connect the second microphone to the input of a separate microphone preamp and then connect the output of that microphone preamp directly to the second ¼" input using the "line" setting on the Solo's 2nd channel.
Old 02-08-2018, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
You cannot connect a microphone directly to the second ¼" input on the Scarlett Solo. What you can do is connect the second microphone to the input of a separate microphone preamp and then connect the output of that microphone preamp directly to the second ¼" input using the "line" setting on the Solo's 2nd channel.
I also realized there are female XLR to male 1/4'' jacks that could plug to the mic and the 1/4'' jack. Would that work?

I honestly may just save the investment for later on if the sound quality on one mic will be far inferior and just go with 1 SC mic.

Thanks for the input
Old 02-08-2018, 07:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I also realized there are female XLR to male 1/4'' jacks that could plug to the mic and the 1/4'' jack. Would that work?
No. That will not work.
Old 02-09-2018, 07:56 AM

Quote:

I honestly may just save the investment for later on if the sound quality on one mic will be far inferior and just go with 1 SC mic.

Thanks for the input
Just to explain - the 1/4" input on the Solo does not have a mic preamp, that's why this solution is not a solution.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 02-09-2018, 09:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Hi CLIS

As you know from several posts it will not work. If your needs grow and you decide to add a second mic, you need to bump up one level in preamps/interfaces, and buy the Focusrite Scarlet model with two XLR inputs (it's only $150). It would serve you well and make mixing quick and easy (which it should be to avoid distracting you from playing and recording music).

I have captured wonderful acoustic guitar recordings with single mic approach. The reason 2 channels is 'fun' is for adding stereo spacing, or perhaps altering the overall feel of the guitar when listening through headphones, or a wonderful speaker system in surround fashion. But that's pretty momentary, and I've loved the recordings a well placed single mic can bring.

It also avoids things like phase cancelation, and side effects when recording which accompany wide stereo captures.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 02-09-2018, 01:58 PM

Default LDC 48VDC Phantom Powered Mic

This is a solution to many a recording situation , they cover all aspects of the sound spectrum .

I have a really great and underrated LCD in one Samson C01

Gold sputtered diaphragm and circuitry contact connections , can't get much better than that .

These two pieces together are under $130.00

Super quiet too between sound passages on my Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 , silent as can be no noise .

Good Luck .

EZ :

HR
Life has always been interesting to me

Old 02-09-2018, 04:06 PM

Might have made some costly mistakes if it werent for you guys. Thanks a bunch!
Ive placed an order for a SCD and an XLR cable. I'll be sticking with my Scarlett Solo and upgrade if i really get serious.

Thanks again!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD