The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-03-2018, 10:31 AM

Default Breedlove with Baggs Anthem - weak gain

I just bought a Breedlove Oregon Concert with an LR Baggs pick up and upgraded the pick up to a Baggs Anthem. I plugged it in to the Baggs Venue pedal, and even with gain on pick up and pedal at full, I can’t get the signal to clip. The signal path is fine, just not much signal. Any suggestions?
Old 02-03-2018, 10:58 AM
Charter Member

Hi Jag,

Is it the full anthem or the SL? Who did the install? I find the full anthem
(I don’t use the SL) to be very hot. It almost sounds like the UST is not plugged in. The full anthem also has an adjustment screw for the mic gain, and the mix control (mic vs UST) is the wheel closer to the bridge. The further you turn this towards the neck, the more mic you add. Turning it towards the bridge introduces more of the UST. But the gain is a screw, and that is key. Do you know where both of these are set? My guess is that’s your issue. Assuming everything is plugged in to the preamp, and that the install was done correctly.

Mark
Guitars; Esteban -"Tribute to Paula Abdul L.E." Arturo Fuente- Cigar Box"Hand Made" First Act-"Diamond Bling" Main Street- "Flaming Acoustic" Silvertone-"Paul Stanley Dark Star" Daisy Rock- "Purple Daze"
Old 02-03-2018, 11:14 AM

Thanks for the response. It’s the full Anthem. Looking at it, the adjustment screw seems to be straight up and down, which I assume means equal UST and mic. I roll it all the way to mic and still barely get a clip when the gain is all the way up on both the pedal and the pickup. Install was done at Guitar Tex, one of the better shops in San Antonio. Think I should adjust the pickup screw more toward mic?
Old 02-03-2018, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAGUSAFR View Post
Thanks for the response. It’s the full Anthem. Looking at it, the adjustment screw seems to be straight up and down, which I assume means equal UST and mic. I roll it all the way to mic and still barely get a clip when the gain is all the way up on both the pedal and the pickup. Install was done at Guitar Tex, one of the better shops in San Antonio. Think I should adjust the pickup screw more toward mic?
Why don't you bring the guitar back to the installer, and have them demo it for you? They probably messed up the installation.
Old 02-03-2018, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknow View Post
Why don't you bring the guitar back to the installer, and have them demo it for you? They probably messed up the installation.

I agree. You should have plenty of gain.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 02-03-2018, 01:06 PM
Charter Member

The position of the slot in the screw is not an indicator as far as I know. Here’s a link to the installation page. https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...all-manual.pdf

Still seems to me that the UST is not plugged into the preamp. But the shop who did the install should have noticed when they set the gain on the mic. I’d probably take it back and have them take care of it. There is a slim chance that the pre amp is bad, but they will be able to tell.

Mark
Guitars; Esteban -"Tribute to Paula Abdul L.E." Arturo Fuente- Cigar Box"Hand Made" First Act-"Diamond Bling" Main Street- "Flaming Acoustic" Silvertone-"Paul Stanley Dark Star" Daisy Rock- "Purple Daze"
Old 02-03-2018, 02:21 PM

Thanks - I guess that’s the best course of action. Hate to be deprived of my new guitar again so soon!
Old 02-03-2018, 03:09 PM
Charter Member

Well all they need do is give all the inputs a cursory look, check the pre amp and send you on your way. They should be willing to attend to it while you wait. Worse case scenario they order a new preamp. Let us know what happens.

Mark
Old 02-03-2018, 03:49 PM

This may be a bit obvious, but check the battery....low batteries can reduce output levels.
Old 02-20-2018, 02:45 AM

The UST used in that system has a connection between the sensor strip and the lead going to the preamp/control unit. The connection is on the edge of delicate and can be accidentally damaged in the installation process.

Trace the wire to the bridge and locate the point where it becomes stiffer. It should be within an inch of the hole leading to the saddle slot. If the wire is dangling, it should have been anchored during the installation. Press on the stiff portion or lightly bend it to see if the bass response returns to your signal. If it does, you have a faulty or accidentally damaged pickup and Baggs will most likely send a replacement.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
breedlove oregon concert, epiphone dot studio, zager zad-80ce