The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-01-2018, 10:55 AM

Default Can you add a body sensor or mic to ES2?

While some folks really like the ES2 pickup system, I personally find it lacking, at least for my purpose. I like some of the ideas that Baggs or Fishman bring to the table, with a sensor combined with a mic.

Is it possible to add an internal mic and connect it to the current system which only supports a single piezo bolt-on sensor? Or do I have to abandon the entire ES2 system and start fresh?
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 02-01-2018, 11:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
While some folks really like the ES2 pickup system, I personally find it lacking, at least for my purpose. I like some of the ideas that Baggs or Fishman bring to the table, with a sensor combined with a mic.

Is it possible to add an internal mic and connect it to the current system which only supports a single piezo bolt-on sensor? Or do I have to abandon the entire ES2 system and start fresh?
Have you considered a ToneDexter for use with your Taylor's ES2? That's what I would do and have done. I've posted a direct-to-computer-recorded recording played with flatpick of my 2015 Taylor 618e/ES2 with ToneDexter elsewhere within the AGF Amplification section. I could get better tone if I experimented with mic placement but if you've heard my soundclip and don't like it, then you should seek an alternative solution. Another alternative may be to email Taylor and ask them if it's possible to add a mic to the ES2 and how to do it if you're willing to void the ES2 warranty.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 02-01-2018, 01:42 PM

To my knowledge, the ES2 is a single channel preamp. Adding an internal mic to an ES2 guitar could require some alterations to send the ES2 signal on the tip, and a second source on the ring, if you were to somehow modify the internal jack to a stereo unit. Then, you would need an external mixer or blender.

If just adding a mic is your goal, you can also consider the inexpensive iRig Stage unit that comes with a blender preamp and clip on sound hole mic. It's a workable solution.

If you're willing to live with a pedal on the floor, SpruceTop's recommendation of the ToneDexter is the way to go. You will get the simplicity of the ES2 onboard solution and mic quality sound.

If you just want to improve the ES2, you can consider the Zoom AC-2 ($150), BodyRez ($99), or one of the other popular analog pedal/preamp systems. But, once you've accepted having a pedal on the floor, it seems like the ToneDexter is the way to go.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification