The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-01-2018, 02:04 AM

Default Blues For Dexter

My first recording with my Tonedexter!

Hence, 'Blues For Dexter' played on my 1959 Gibson LG3 with a Martin Thinline passive undersaddle pickup hooked up and trained to my Tonedexter.... kind of like making my own Aura sound images:

https://soundcloud.com/bk7-3/bluesfordexter7a

BluesKing777.
Old 02-01-2018, 08:05 AM

sounds really good.. Where did you place the
mic on the archtop.?
Old 02-01-2018, 09:05 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post
My first recording with my Tonedexter!

Hence, 'Blues For Dexter' played on my 1959 Gibson LG3 with a Martin Thinline passive undersaddle pickup hooked up and trained to my Tonedexter.... kind of like making my own Aura sound images:

https://soundcloud.com/bk7-3/bluesfordexter7a

BluesKing777.
Gorgeous playing, gorgeous sound! Please tell us more specifics of how you got this sound. We haven't had much feedback from the archtop world yet.
James May Engineering
maker of the Ultra Tonic Pickup
Old 02-01-2018, 02:18 PM

Thanks!

But there is some confusion - the LG3 in my soundclip is a flat top acoustic with a passive Martin Thinline undersaddle pickup...and the mic I used is my Neumann KM184.

The archtop in my Soundcloud photo is probably the cause of the confusion and is a bit hard to play and gathering dust but I could drag it out and try it..one day.

BluesKing777.
Old 02-01-2018, 03:27 PM

It's honestly hard to believe that's not a mic'd guitar.
Old 02-01-2018, 05:19 PM

That recording was using slot no 7, supposedly for playing live.

I trained the same guitar in slot 22 and that is even more ‘acoustic’ and ideal for recording, I can just tell after hearing it. Fabulous! I probably need 20 slot 22’s and 2 of the others, or I will ........first world horrible problem.....have to train each guitar I want to record with, and copy over the one I did. ( I do intend to run the Dex through my Boss VE8...to experiment with songs, next up!)

BluesKing777.
Old 02-01-2018, 05:37 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
That recording was using slot no 7, supposedly for playing live.

I trained the same guitar in slot 22 and that is even more ‘acoustic’ and ideal for recording, I can just tell after hearing it. Fabulous! I probably need 20 slot 22’s and 2 of the others, or I will ........first world horrible problem.....have to train each guitar I want to record with, and copy over the one I did. ( I do intend to run the Dex through my Boss VE8...to experiment with songs, next up!)

BluesKing777.
In case the user guide wasn't clear on this point, you can start training from slot 22 (to get the most realistic mic sound) and then store the results in ANY slot. So you can have 22 of them if you so desire.
James May Engineering
Old 02-01-2018, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James May View Post
In case the user guide wasn't clear on this point, you can start training from slot 22 (to get the most realistic mic sound) and then store the results in ANY slot. So you can have 22 of them if you so desire.
Serious? Fantastic! Thanks!

So the normal slots alter the eq as I have read, but do they have ‘less’ image than the slot 22 ‘images’. Long time Aura user, forgive the use of the word image......., and images recorded in slot 22 have more image left? For example, with my Aura box, for playing in an amp, I would use 33-50% sound image, whereas for recording that would come out quacky, so I would often use 75-100%.

BluesKing777.
Old 02-01-2018, 06:30 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Serious? Fantastic! Thanks!

So the normal slots alter the eq as I have read, but do they have ‘less’ image than the slot 22 ‘images’. Long time Aura user, forgive the use of the word image......., and images recorded in slot 22 have more image left? For example, with my Aura box, for playing in an amp, I would use 33-50% sound image, whereas for recording that would come out quacky, so I would often use 75-100%.

BluesKing777.
Normal slots (non 22) create the most mic like sound it can, then knocks back the low end body resonances to improve feedback immunity. You'll usually perceive that as less bassy, but tighter sounding. Slot 22 skips the feedback adjustment. That's the only difference.

You can use the character control to dry up the sound, and then (new with the latest firmware) blend in some of the dry pickup sound to taste if you must. It's phase and time aligned to avoid weirdness and comb filtering.
James May Engineering
Old 02-01-2018, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James May View Post
Normal slots (non 22) create the most mic like sound it can, then knocks back the low end body resonances to improve feedback immunity. You'll usually perceive that as less bassy, but tighter sounding. Slot 22 skips the feedback adjustment. That's the only difference.

You can use the character control to dry up the sound, and then (new with the latest firmware) blend in some of the dry pickup sound to taste if you must. It's phase and time aligned to avoid weirdness and comb filtering.

Ah, thanks!

Study says 64% of men don’t read the manual..... until it doesn’t work.....

Off to it, then.

BluesKing777.
Old 02-02-2018, 02:25 AM

I had a few more cracks at it and I am in love with slot22!

Now, I have a serious request for James May - please, please invent another TD to use with soundhole pickups...so I don’t have to get pickups, and the drill, for some of my higher end guitars!

BluesKing777.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification