The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-28-2018, 04:01 PM

Default Mic'ing a guitar for home use.What do you think?

Hi everyone. First time poster here.
While I am awaiting my custom Martin, I have been thinking of amplifying for home use only. What do you think of this setup. I like either the Rode NT1 or the Electrovoice RE20 microphone and was thinking of running it into a Bose LS1compact PA using the Bose T1 Tonematch mixer for a little variety. It was either the Bose, or the Fishman SA330x.
Just to let you know that I already have a Traynor AM100 acoustic amp, but was never satisfied with the sound. I haven't looked at amps for a while but I wanted to try a personal PA for a change.
Do you think the setup I mentioned will give me the most natural acoustic tone? The guitar may or may not have the K&K mini installed. I am still on the fence with that. I just like the idea of mic'ing the guitar.

Please let me know what you think and if this is the most natural way to amplify.

Thank you,
Dan
Old 01-29-2018, 11:35 AM

if I was going to mic for home use I would go with a shure sm57. it's a good clean mic. on stage I go with a AKG 1000c. totally different animal. I have a crate acoustic amp I bought used that renders a nice acoustic sound. good luck.
Old 01-29-2018, 10:21 PM

Thanks huckster,
Anybody else have ideas on how a mic'd guitar through the Bose compact PA would sound. I would use it with the Bose T1 Tonematch. Anybody like the Rode NT1A mic for guitar?
Old 01-30-2018, 04:44 AM

Welcome D41 fan! Great group to be involved with.

I don’t yet have Bose unit but I have heard a guitar being amplified by a mic on stage at a live performance. Great sound. Bluegrass players do this often and all share the mic. I think they use an mic called Edwina. If you are playing by yourself at home, I think rode is probably a good choice. Not sure how much sound of the Bose it might pick up since Bose is known to spread the sound around the room very well. Might be a challenge to avoid picking up something other than your guitar. You might be okay at low volume.
Old 01-30-2018, 09:37 AM
Charter Member

You might try a Tonedexter and see if you can get the sound you want from the amp and pickup you have -
Old 01-30-2018, 10:29 AM

Thanks for the replies. As far as the mic goes it is a cardioid pattern so that should eliminate any noise around the mic. As far as the amp goes, its just time for a change. I;ve had it for 15-20 years and while ok back then, there is now a lot better.
I;ve been curious about personal PA systems and either the Bose compact or the Fisman SA330x seems the best fit.
Old 01-30-2018, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
if I was going to mic for home use I would go with a shure sm57. it's a good clean mic. on stage I go with a AKG 1000c. totally different animal. I have a crate acoustic amp I bought used that renders a nice acoustic sound. good luck.

+1 on the AKG 1000C. I use one with a Fishman and get great sound.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 01-30-2018, 01:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D41Fan View Post
Thanks for the replies. As far as the mic goes it is a cardioid pattern so that should eliminate any noise around the mic. As far as the amp goes, its just time for a change. I;ve had it for 15-20 years and while ok back then, there is now a lot better.
I;ve been curious about personal PA systems and either the Bose compact or the Fisman SA330x seems the best fit.

First to clarify a cardioid pattern will have some amount of off axis rejection, so it reduces off axis sound, it does not eliminate it.
It is however a good choice especially if you are dealing with unwanted room noise or reflection.

Yes mic'ing an acoustic guitar will give you the most natural sound

Second, are you talking guitar only, or guitar and vocal

For home use personally I would consider a condenser mic rather than a dynamic

Also if for guitar only in the price range you are looking at for the EV $450 Personally I would consider some of the SDC type mics

If for vocal and guitar I would consider a LDC

Given both the SA330 and the Tonematch have phantom power either one would be a good choice for use with a condenser mic.. I would see if I could compare them side by side. (although consider with bose L1 and tonematch you will be at $1500 as opposed to $1000 for the Fishman )

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 01-30-2018 at 06:27 PM.
Old 01-30-2018, 02:11 PM
Musical minimalist

I'm here to save you a ton of money

For home use you are planning on spending 1k on amplification??

Dang, I wish I could justify those kind of purchases! I gigged solo for 30 years and never spent that much on my PA gear!

Here's my thought. before you buy a new amplifier, buy a pair of these surprisingly good mics:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...SABEgLcVvD_BwE

They come with a stereo bar that will allow you to point them at the body/neck joint and at the bridge area (what I've always found to be the "happy" spots) I did a quite a few restaurant gigs with these and no pickup and it sounded wonderful.

You'll need a small mixer to run them......this has onboard 5 band eq that will help you get the sound out of your Traynor you've been missing (possibly) I had one of those Traynors a few years back and tweaked it where it was sounding pretty good!

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...SABEgLI4vD_BwE

Then, if you are still not happy with your sound, get a nice powered speaker like an Alto TS212 or something. You'll have a ton of money left over for your next guitar!

Just posing another option.

Old 01-30-2018, 06:39 PM

I mic mine sometimes through an old Peavey XR600 with freakin' SP2's. (15" Black Widows and a horn)

Sounds AWESOME.

Too much weight to take to a coffee house, but the tone is great.

I also use a Carvin AG100D sometimes.

It's MY house, I'll do whatever I want......

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 01-30-2018, 10:35 PM

Thanks for the replies. I have to obviously try them out. I am still favouring the Bose with the Tone Match and probably Rode NT1 mic. I know its a lot but hopefully it will be my last. I really don't want to play through an amp.

Dan
Old 01-31-2018, 06:59 AM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
I really don't want to play through an amp.

Dan
Here's something else to consider - the "stick" PA's are built with transportation in mind. The system you choose is going to be stationary it seems. A much larger bang for the buck, sound-wise, can be had with a conventional 10" or 12" two way speaker. These new designs claim to have better dispersion, and that may be true, but on their own (without a sub) they can't have the warmth of a much larger driver. For the money you are going to spend, you could get a pair of them and still have lots of money left over. If you want the Fishman or Bose because they look cool, then that's another issue.

Again, just something to think about.

Old 01-31-2018, 11:18 AM

Thanks fitness1, the reason I am leaning towards a Bose compact or Fishman is that they will be in the living room as a permanent fixture. I do understand I could get a fuller sound with larger monitor type speakers, but I don't think the other half would appreciate larger monitors on a set of poles on either side of the room.
All I know is that I really don't want an amp. I don't mind mic'ing and I think the Bose or Fishman will still give me a nice open natural sound.
Old 01-31-2018, 01:09 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Thanks fitness1, the reason I am leaning towards a Bose compact or Fishman is that they will be in the living room as a permanent fixture. I do understand I could get a fuller sound with larger monitor type speakers, but I don't think the other half would appreciate larger monitors on a set of poles on either side of the room.
All I know is that I really don't want an amp. I don't mind mic'ing and I think the Bose or Fishman will still give me a nice open natural sound.
Ah - sorry - didn't know there was a wifey factor involved.

My guess is to get a reasonable "attack" and bottom end out of one of those units, you'll probably need to plug in too, unless you are very close mic'd.

Last edited by fitness1; 01-31-2018 at 02:35 PM.
Old 01-31-2018, 01:41 PM

Another AKG C1000S user. Definitely has less sensitivity & high-end than more modern pencil condensers but that actually is a benefit for playing into a PA. I found it has a nice warm sound for all my acoustic instruments. It also has the convenience of batteries if phantom power is not available and is very well priced.

Later
Rob

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification