The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-03-2016, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
I could be wrong.....
But as far as I can see...
The TC-Helicon doesn't have pitch correction
The Boss does
For guitar amp...
The TC only has XLR outs....which wouldn't be a problem for most people but it is for me...
The Boss has both...and 1/4 L-R stereo outs..

So I'm leaning more to the Boss side..unless I'm corrected on these two features..
The TC does have pitch correct. You are correct it uses an XLR DI for the guitar.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited by martingitdave; 08-03-2016 at 09:20 AM.
Old 08-04-2016, 08:21 AM
Cocobologist

I currently use the TC Play Acoustic - Have owned and used their original VoiceLive and Harmony G-XT pedals in the past. I've always found TC's vocal harmonies to be better and more natural sounding than others.

Another advantage of the TC is the BodyRez feature (works great and does have plenty of EQ options) as well as including their HOF reverb and Corona chorus in the Play. Easy to read display, easy to understand user interface, and built like a tank round out the advantages of TC's unit.

| '02 814c Custom (Coco/Sitka) | '03 912ce Custom (Coco/Engelmann)| '06 K65ce | '17 J45 Std. | '10 Breedlove Revival OM DLX (EIR/Adi) | Lots of electrics...
Old 08-04-2016, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty C View Post
Hi Nick88,
I have and use the TC Helicon Play Acoustic. What would you like to know?
I know it's tough but which is better?

1. Ease of use live
2. Quality of the vocal effects
3. Quality of the guitar effects

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Old 08-08-2016, 01:48 PM

I use the play acoustic extensively in my now regular solo gigging adventures. As with all these boxes one needs to spend quality time tweaking the settings, thats what i hat to do with the play acoustic. You sort of want to tweak it so that when you activate the haormonies they are just subtle enough that they have an impact on the overal vocal tone, but not enough that the audience really notices it, if that makes sense.

I find the biggest advantage of the Boss unit overall is the easy and rather long looper function, i really wish the play acoustic had such a simple looper function and length of the loop, i have a feeling you will see that option on the next generaion of play acoustic.

Im also amazed why play acoustic doesnt have a 1/4 inch jack output, its beyond amazing as you need that for most amps, in particular if you want to run the guitar and vocals seperately as i do. Hence i dont run my guitar through the play acoustic but direct into my Di and then the AER amp.

Nevertheless, im sticking with the play acoustic as it does what i need it for well and makes me punch above my wight.
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague
Old 08-08-2016, 11:42 PM

A flagrant ripoff of TC Helicon's (mostly) excellent product: right down to its form and function (even function naming). Won't be long before the 'electric guitar' version (a la TC) hits the streets, eh, Roland, you naughty boy.

That said, that 'new' product does address at least a couple of gaping omissions that plague the TC: namely, XLRs and 1/4" jacks out (compared to XLRs only on the TC), and a looper that provides more than the 10 seconds the TC is crippled with!

Now all we need is Behringer's inevitable silver-anodized version that buzzes like hornets around a BBQ (but, hey, costs $275 less).

They say competition is good for the consumer; but at least a BIT of imagination on the part of a company's R&D probably doesn't hurt to raise the bar either.
Old 08-09-2016, 11:12 AM

"That said, that 'new' product does address at least a couple of gaping omissions that plague the TC: namely, XLRs and 1/4" jacks out (compared to XLRs only on the TC), and a looper that provides more than the 10 seconds the TC is crippled with!"

Don, your post made me laugh, especially since a gigging friend of mine loves Behringer products, yet has numerous equipment failures.

I own the Play Acoustic, and recently increased the looper function to one minute by undoing the stereo setting in the setup menu. I can get by with that increase.
I like the sturdiness of the TC product.
Old 08-09-2016, 12:08 PM

still wondering if the boss acts as a two pedal looper that can be run independent of the effects.
Old 08-09-2016, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don1 View Post
Now all we need is Behringer's inevitable silver-anodized version that buzzes like hornets around a BBQ (but, hey, costs $275 less).
Likely won't happen since 'Music Group' that owns Behringer not too long ago acquired TC Helicon and TC Electronic...
http://www.music-group.com/brands?active=Brands
Old 08-09-2016, 06:23 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryjoh814 View Post
"That said, that 'new' product does address at least a couple of gaping omissions that plague the TC: namely, XLRs and 1/4" jacks out (compared to XLRs only on the TC), and a looper that provides more than the 10 seconds the TC is crippled with!"

Don, your post made me laugh, especially since a gigging friend of mine loves Behringer products, yet has numerous equipment failures.

I own the Play Acoustic, and recently increased the looper function to one minute by undoing the stereo setting in the setup menu. I can get by with that increase.
I like the sturdiness of the TC product.
Now THAT is useful information. Thank you for that!
Old 08-09-2016, 07:50 PM

Quote:

Now that's funny
Old 08-09-2016, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Now THAT is useful information. Thank you for that!
I liked this idea too... BUT... you loose on the fly undo apparently which makes it a lot less useful.

So I went a Ditto 2 and a few separate pedals.

Kris
Old 08-10-2016, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisls View Post
I liked this idea too... BUT... you loose on the fly undo apparently which makes it a lot less useful.

So I went a Ditto 2 and a few separate pedals.

Kris
I actually dont run my guitar through play acoustic at all, instead run it through a G3 effects unit which has a good 30 sec loop which is enough for me. An extra box but i find it worthwhile, as play acoustic i find is really suited for vocals mainly.
What we do on weekends:
Old 08-10-2016, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GibbyPrague View Post
I actually dont run my guitar through play acoustic at all, instead run it through a G3 effects unit which has a good 30 sec loop which is enough for me. An extra box but i find it worthwhile, as play acoustic i find is really suited for vocals mainly.
I might sound a bit thick.... How are you running your guitar seperatley? I thought the Play Acoustic needed to have the guitar running through it for the harmonies etc to work properly?

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Old 08-10-2016, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick84 View Post
I might sound a bit thick.... How are you running your guitar seperatley? I thought the Play Acoustic needed to have the guitar running through it for the harmonies etc to work properly?
I thought the same! But tried it seperately and works just the same, dont ask me how but it does.
What we do on weekends:
Old 08-10-2016, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GibbyPrague View Post
I thought the same! But tried it seperately and works just the same, dont ask me how but it does.
My TCH VLP GTX has internal 'Room Sense' mics that will grab what it hears in a room to create the harmonies. Suspect the Play Acoustic has the same.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification