The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-12-2015, 06:57 AM

Default Preamp: What's a half decent one to plug into an amp?

Hey - what are some half decent preamps that can be used to plug a mic that requires phantom power into an amp with an XLR connector, such as a Fishman Loudbox mini (and similar amps). I was at the guitar store last night and they showed me a few. Some had tubes.

What I mean by "half decent" is something that can bring some quality at a nice price. Not looking to record - just to potentially do a little singing and guitar playing through an amp in a house. Anything in the sub $100 range that is worth picking up?
Old 12-12-2015, 10:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Hey - what are some half decent preamps that can be used to plug a mic that requires phantom power into an amp with an XLR connector, such as a Fishman Loudbox mini (and similar amps). I was at the guitar store last night and they showed me a few. Some had tubes.

What I mean by "half decent" is something that can bring some quality at a nice price. Not looking to record - just to potentially do a little singing and guitar playing through an amp in a house. Anything in the sub $100 range that is worth picking up?
Hi Dru…
If the amp doesn't supply phantom power for the mic, in that price range a small mixer would be your best bet. A mixer will have built in preamps on each channel, and provide the phantom to an external condenser mic.

I have not heard a sub-$200 tube preamp I'd want to use in my rigs. A $100 small mixer would give you more quality and better tone control over a condenser microphone.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-12-2015, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Dru…
If the amp doesn't supply phantom power for the mic, in that price range a small mixer would be your best bet. A mixer will have built in preamps on each channel, and provide the phantom to an external condenser mic.

I have not heard a sub-$200 tube preamp I'd want to use in my rigs. A $100 small mixer would give you more quality and better tone control over a condenser microphone.

Thanks Larry - I never thought about the mixer option.
Old 12-12-2015, 12:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks Larry - I never thought about the mixer option.
Hi Dru…
Inexpensive tube preamps only use a single tube (generally) and tend to have a lot of self-noise.

They are attractive to the brain, but in actual use, they are not the best, and offer no tone adjustment.

Great preamps are useful for recording, but I don't see a lot of benefit to the live play usage (and I own several midline tube preamps).

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-12-2015, 01:40 PM

Why not just get a dynamic mic. The mic IS for singing correct? If you're singing through an acoustic guitar amp the difference between a condenser mic and a dynamic probably won't be a night and day difference.

Getting a Shure 58 will probably be cheaper than going the cheap mixer route and a less complex solution. As for "quality" the singer's voice makes a bigger difference than the microphone.
Old 12-12-2015, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Hi Dru…
Inexpensive tube preamps only use a single tube (generally) and tend to have a lot of self-noise.

They are attractive to the brain, but in actual use, they are not the best, and offer no tone adjustment.

Great preamps are useful for recording, but I don't see a lot of benefit to the live play usage (and I own several midline tube preamps).
Great info, thanks Larry. I'll stay clear of the inexpensive tube preamps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochese View Post
Why not just get a dynamic mic. The mic IS for singing correct? If you're singing through an acoustic guitar amp the difference between a condenser mic and a dynamic probably won't be a night and day difference.

Getting a Shure 58 will probably be cheaper than going the cheap mixer route and a less complex solution. As for "quality" the singer's voice makes a bigger difference than the microphone.
I already have a mic that requires phantom power but a dynamic mic is a an option. Gettina a Shure 58 will compliment my Shure SM-57 (for my Marshall).
Old 12-12-2015, 03:36 PM
Charter Member

This is exactly what you're looking for:

Nady SMPS-1X Condenser Microphone Phantom Power Supply - $20

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 12-12-2015, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Hi Dru…

Great info, thanks Larry. I'll stay clear of the inexpensive tube preamps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochese View Post

I already have a mic that requires phantom power but a dynamic mic is a an option. Gettina a Shure 58 will compliment my Shure SM-57 (for my Marshall).
Dru, if you're considering a mic in the Shure 58 class then try to test a Sennheiser e945. They are roughly the same price as a Beta 58 but in my opinion (professional and personal) it is a much much better mic - easier to eq, but with similar tolerances for sound pressure, and more ergonomic. They even have a more extended frequency response so although the sound level drops off as you would expect with a dynamic mic the crispness and clarity of sound when used as a song mic should is really something.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 12-12-2015, 04:45 PM

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Harbinge...-Mic-Preamp.gc

Old 12-12-2015, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricdoug View Post
I much prefer this:

Two Yamaha D-PRE preamps, with pads and HPF, assignable to mono or stereo, with 2 more stereo channels, and basic effects. A sweet deal...

Phil

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.
Old 12-12-2015, 10:38 PM

I am also looking at mixers so I can have several inputs to my amp, which only has one main input and no phantom power option. Mostly be used by me for one guitar with mono pup and mic for voice, but I will soon need a stereo input for a dual pup guitar setup. Sometimes will have a few friends playing and a couple of singers, but just for fun - no commercial work.

I am currently zeroing in on the Mackie Mix 12, which has four phantom power XLR inputs and several stereo/mono TRS input, and several FX options. The XLR ports have lo, mid, hi level adjustments. At about $120, I have yet to see a better deal for solo or small group that would allow for modest growth.

I would suggest you look at the Mackie and Yamaha mixer lines, and get a little more than your current minimum needs.
Old 12-13-2015, 04:45 AM

Why not use your '57? It has the same capsule as a '58 and is perfectly good for vocals. If you 'pop' a lot you may need to add a pop shield as the '57 is a little more susceptible to plosives.

Which amp do you have?
Mountain D45 (mid '80s)
Brian Eastwood ES175/L5
Gibson Les Paul Custom (1975)
Brian Eastwood '61 Strat
Bitsa Strat with P90s (my main electric)
The Loar F5 Mandolin,
Samick A4 Mandolin
Epiphone Mandobird
Brian Eastwood '51 P Bass
NS Design Wav EUB
Giordano EUB

Last edited by sam.spoons; 12-13-2015 at 04:51 AM.
Old 12-13-2015, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philjs View Post
I much prefer this:

<<SNIPPET pic>>
Two Yamaha D-PRE preamps, with pads and HPF, assignable to mono or stereo, with 2 more stereo channels, and basic effects. A sweet deal...

Phil
Thanks Phil. Looks like it's $139.99 in Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam.spoons View Post
Why not use your '57? It has the same capsule as a '58 and is perfectly good for vocals. If you 'pop' a lot you may need to add a pop shield as the '57 is a little more susceptible to plosives.

Which amp do you have?
Hi Sam, I don't have an acoustic amp yet. I've spent just under 30 years in the electric pickup/amp world but I'm new on the acoustic side of pickups/amps so I'm just trying to build some knowledge now.

I never considered using the 57 for vocals. Probably too 'poppy' but I'll keep an open mind and I will give it a test try when I hook it up to an acoustic amp.
Old 12-13-2015, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philjs View Post
I much prefer this:

Phil
In that price range I much prefer this:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Harbinge...01720417373.gc

FEATURES

• 12-channel mixer with a variety of routing options
• 4 LvL Series ultra clean mic preamps with XLR and ¼” TRS balanced/unbalanced line input
• 4 TRS ¼” balanced/unbalanced stereo inputs with +4/-10dB sensitivity selection
• Built-in effects including tap tempo delay
• Versatile 3-Band EQ
• 75Hz high pass Filter on mic inputs
• Aux Send
• Full-size master fader
• Control room output for studio monitors
• 48V phantom power
• Input gain on mic preamps
• Input Signal/Peak indicator LED
• Pan/Balance controller per channel
• 5-Segment LED main mix meter
• RCA input and output
• Headphone outputs
• Robust external AC power supply
• Rugged metal chassis

L1202FX 12-Channel Mixer With Effects

12 Channels, Built-In Effects and an Extraordinary Price

As the top of the Harbinger LvL Series, the L1202FX is the best value in compact 12-channel mixers. Designed for home/project recording and live sound mixing, the L1202FX offers all of the high-quality analog signal path and routing flexibility needed for serious recording, as well as plenty of simultaneous input sources for your band’s most important shows.

Flexible Routing and Features for Studio or Stage

The L1202FX starts with four LvL mic preamps, each with XLR and 1/4” TRS balanced/unbalanced line inputs, as well as four TRS 1/4” balanced/unbalanced stereo inputs with +4/-10dB sensitivity selection. This means you have plenty of room to accommodate a band with multiple microphones and instrument sources. In addition to main and control room outputs, the L1202FX also offers an aux send, and auxiliary inputs and outputs on RCA connections. Phantom power is provided so you can run your favorite condenser mics, and each mic input has a selectable 75Hz high-pass filter to help eliminate feedback and low-frequency rumble onstage. You also get great-sounding 3-band EQ, and even a full-size master fader for better control of your mix.

High Headroom, Clean Preamps

LvL Series preamps are ultra clean, offering amazing frequency response from 10Hz to 22kHz with less than a single decibel of variance. Even more impressive is their high headroom and very low noise; these mixers can handle impressively loud input levels without getting close to clipping. What all this means is that for live gigs, jams, and recording, what comes through is exactly what you put in, with a clean all-analog signal path that will sound great on stage or on your recordings. The L1202FX’s four preamps offers plenty of clean input gain so you’ll sound great at any volume.

DSP Effects Included

It can be very convenient to have onboard effects at your fingertips, which is why the L1202FX includes 16 effects and effect combinations, each with an adjustable parameter. They include room, hall, spring, and plate reverb, as well as chorus, flange, vocal doubling, and even tap-tempo delay, and combinations of the effects you’ll turn to the most. Whether you’re recording or onstage, the built-in effects of the L1202FX come in handy, and sound excellent.

Old 12-13-2015, 02:54 PM

Tc helicon mic mechanic has phantom power for your mic, it's a small pedal and sounds great

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Taylor Big Baby Walnut

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification