The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-30-2015, 01:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakedi View Post
I was wanting to make a comment to the not wanting to know about or caring to learn about the nuts and bolts of acoustic amplification and the TV/Toyota analogy ... but I couldn't have said it better than this.

I was thinking the same thing. Knowing how a Toyota works may not be needed, but knowing how to drive the vehicle certainly is. Analogizing back to sound reinforcement, I may not need to know how or why my acoustic guitar preamp works, but I need to know how to use its features to get the sound I want.
Old 08-30-2015, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Conquistador View Post
I am a big fan of the KISS principle.

My signal chain is: guitar-K&K-RedEye preamp-SA220.

The key to this system is the understanding that every venue is different and requires different EQ. The SA220 has all the EQ, Reverb, and notch filtering I have needed so far. I continue to get unsolicited compliments on my sound, and the entire rig can be set up / broken down in 15 minutes.

Steve
Another fan here: Guitar => K&K => Baggs Session DI => SA220 (Fishman line array 2 ch. PA/amp designed for the acoustic solo/duo)

http://www.reverbnation.com/museric?...eader_icon_nav

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxt...-_xka6GsUr9v4Q

https://soundcloud.com/museric-1

Breedlove American C25/SSe
Delgado Candelas Jumbo
Eastman AC420
Eastman E10D
Eastman E10SS
Fender (MIM) Stratocaster
Old 08-30-2015, 04:24 PM

I think a good preamp with flat frequency response might be a must.

My RedEyes seem to give my acoustic guitars a BOUNCE to the tone.

They seem to help the guitar reflect back what I put into it.

My first experience with this phenomena was when I was using Sunrise pickups in my guitars.

At first I was disappointed in the tone I was getting, but then I added a Sunrise preamp and there it was: the bouncey tone I was hoping to hear.

Automatically - because the Sunrise preamp had no tone controls.

Eventually I wanted less of a magnetic pickup sound and a more acoustic sound, so switched to K&K's and a K&K preamp.

I lost the BOUNCE. I liked my tone but didn't love it.

I tried another make of preamp. Again: no bounce.

Then I tried a RedEye and once again, there it was: the tone with the lively BOUNCE.

Again, automatically. Just by plugging into the right preamp instead of the wrong one.

Some preamps give the guitar that BOUNCE, that lively feel, and some don't.

Seagull CW w/Baggs M1 pickup...National Vintage Steel Tricone...SWR California Blonde Amp

Last edited by Gypsyblue; 08-30-2015 at 06:10 PM.
Old 08-30-2015, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
I bought the Lyric about a year ago but only got around to installing it recently. I was worried about feedback and the lack of bass that I had heard about but I am very impressed with it. I did the install myself, which was super easy. The demo videos sound nice but in person the pickup really shines. It's the first pickup that has generally made me excited to plug in. I can dig in or play lightly and it always sound very natural. The body noise has not bothered me at all and I have used it in loud environments without any feedback. I am not sure if it's the best pickup in the long run since I do like a bit of enhanced bass but I am thinking of leaving it in my one acoustic just to use for strumming.
Thanks. That's good to hear and increases my comfort with purchasing.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification