The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-24-2015, 09:15 PM
Charter Member

I have the K&K Trinity with external Blender/Pre-amp on my Mcilroy and it sounds very very good. I end up blending >50% Mic and <50% SBTs to reduce the bassy-ness of the Rosewood jumbo. I haven't had feedback issues, but I've only done open mics, not real gigs with a high-test PA.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pick me View Post
Went to K&K website, then called them today, and spoke to a tec. He pointed me to the Trinity Pro upgrade set, which was a little confusing at first, because it only showed the whole package. All I wanted was the pre amp and mic, he then said it would only come with that if I ordered the upgrade set if I already had the pickup installed which I do, then he apologized because there was not a photo of the equipment that did not include the the pickup, but assured me if I ordered the upgrade it would only have the mic, 6 foot jack cable, and the pre amp.

Yes it will still have to be soldered, still don't know what is meant about attaching it to the ring instead of the solder lugs, I forgot to ask about that, he did say it did not make any difference what pure mini I had it would work with either the two lug or the 3 lug. I ask about feedback problems, he said the pre amp has a phase switch that should help with that a lot.

Looking around the dealers they have, the cheapest was Maury's Music for 226.00 I believe, that I had a chance to look at today.

That is the long and short of it, for now, unless someone can guide me to a setup like that for less money, that will work as well.
That all sounds right, and the price is pretty cheap for a dual source+preamp. You can spend a *lot* more. Here's a picture of various types of jacks. A mono jack just has a tip and ground (on the left). A stereo jack has a tip and ring lugs, plus ground, as seen on the right. (Ignore the middle jack.)

if you are not familiar with this sort of thing, I'd strongly advise having a guitar tech do the work. It'll probably cost less than buying a soldering iron, solder and other tools you will need, and you'll get it done right.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M19 View Post
I have the K&K Trinity with external Blender/Pre-amp on my Mcilroy and it sounds very very good. I end up blending >50% Mic and <50% SBTs to reduce the bassy-ness of the Rosewood jumbo. I haven't had feedback issues, but I've only done open mics, not real gigs with a high-test PA.

Yes my HD-28 is very bassy Martin, which I like, but with the pre amp EQ and the EQ on the loudbox mini, it can be controlled somewhat. Have only been able to use this set up a few times so its been kind of slow going to figure things out. I don't crank it up very much.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
That all sounds right, and the price is pretty cheap for a dual source+preamp. You can spend a *lot* more. Here's a picture of various types of jacks. A mono jack just has a tip and ground (on the left). A stereo jack has a tip and ring lugs, plus ground, as seen on the right. (Ignore the middle jack.)

if you are not familiar with this sort of thing, I'd strongly advise having a guitar tech do the work. It'll probably cost less than buying a soldering iron, solder and other tools you will need, and you'll get it done right.
Thanks again, that is probably what I will do since currently I do not own a solder gun. But now I know what is being referred to as the ring.
Old 08-28-2015, 01:34 PM

Update, I ordered my K&K Trinity pro upgrade today, should be here sometime next week.
Old 08-28-2015, 01:40 PM
Guest4562

I'm sure I've had worse ideas than using an internal mic, but I can't recall them offhand.
Old 08-28-2015, 03:18 PM
Charter Member

Default Conversely A-Mac......

Aloha A-Mac & Pick Me,

Conversely, A-Mac, I've been using SBT Pickup/Internal Mic dual-source, combo systems for 40 years! And that's well before manufacturers starting building them. I built my own because I needed them. With the right controls, dual-source systems w/ a mic (internal or external) provide a much more natural live acoustic sound. It's using a single pickup w/o a mic that's sonically insane to my ears, especially if the EQ is not up to grade..

The whole trick, Pick Me, is investing in the 'CONTROL' part of your live signal chain. Without great EQ & compatible gear, it is very difficult to use any instrument mic live on-stage in most of the venues that we giggers play. Your K&K Trinity Pro pickup system should serve you well. But if it doesn't work in tougher rooms you play, then look at your controls & upgrade that part of your signal chain.

It's the whole signal chain that must be planned & considered, not just the lowly pickup or where the mic is placed.

alohachris

Last edited by alohachris; 08-28-2015 at 03:36 PM.
Old 08-28-2015, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Mac View Post
I'm sure I've had worse ideas than using an internal mic, but I can't recall them offhand.
Can you elaborate why it is such a bad idea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohachris View Post
Aloha A-Mac & Pick Me,

Conversely, A-Mac, I've been using SBT/internal mic cdual-source ombos for 40 years! And that's well before manufacturers starting building them. With the right controls, dual source systems w/ a mic (internal or external) provide a much more natural live acoustic sound. It's using a single pickup w/o a mic that's insane to me.

The whole trick, Pick Me, is investing in the CONTROL part of your live signal chain. Without great EQ & compatible gear, it is very difficult to use any instrument mic on-stage in most of the venues that we giggers play. Your K&K Trinity Pro should serve you well. But if it doesn't work in tougher rooms, look at your controls & upgrade that part of your signal chain.

It's the whole signal chain that must be planned & considered, not just the lowly pickup.

alohachris
Well it comes with the k&k pre amp designed for the mini pure pick up as you probably know, it has phantom control, provides power for the, mic, and can be blended with the pick up, that is what I am told.

I don't do gigs, most likely never will, just my living room, most of the time is is just me. I think it should be fine for what I do.
Old 08-28-2015, 04:02 PM
Charter Member

Default Use a Mic At Home.

Aloha Pick Me,

If you don't need a pickup for being heard at gigs, then why use it at home? A great external mic will give you a much more natural representative sound of your guitar's unplugged sound.

Using a pickup actually changes the way I play & hear acoustic guitar, not for the better either. Using effects has a similar result. I enjoy playing the acoustic so much that I don't want anything in the way of that, no filters or processed sound.

If I want a larger acoustic sound while playing at home, I just run one or two great microphones through my PA system & one or two speakers, and w/ no FX.

alohachris

Last edited by alohachris; 08-28-2015 at 11:51 PM.
Old 08-31-2015, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohachris View Post
Aloha Pick Me,

If you don't need a pickup for being heard at gigs, then why use it at home? A great external mic will give you a much more natural representative sound of your guitar's unplugged sound.

Using a pickup actually changes the way I play & hear acoustic guitar, not for the better either. Using effects has a similar result. I enjoy playing the acoustic so much that I don't want anything in the way of that, no filters or processed sound.

If I want a larger acoustic sound while playing at home, I just run one or two great microphones through my PA system & one or two speakers, and w/ no FX.

alohachris
Long weekend out of town, but I have to reply now with, what the hell do I know, truth is I don't. Yes I do not gig and am way far from being any kind of professional that your post suggest you are, having said that I do own a good mic at least it appears to be, again I don't have much experience with them.

What I do know is, I want to reduce some of the hardware required to set everything up by having a mic inside the guitar, running through one cord with the pick up, to a pre amp, then out to my amp. I really don't have the space in my living room for the 2 extra speakers, a pa system, along with two extra external mics, and all the cords that would be involved as you suggest, nor do I have the time an extra room to keep all this equipment in when I have to tear it down every day when done with it.

I realize it is going to probably to be way overkill having this setup I am going for, which I guess does not make much since for those that do this for a living, which I can understand.

Lot of the time I don't play plugged in, mostly because I don't have time for the set up, and tear down. I don't need to be loud for a crowed, but I do want is to hear everything being played, and just the little bit I have used my amp I realize I want to hear it better not louder, I think this mic will do that for me, guess I could even use the external mic I have, with this setup, if I think it will make much of a difference. As I said I really don't know what I am doing, but I do know what I am after.

Last edited by pick me; 08-31-2015 at 01:19 PM.
Old 08-31-2015, 01:20 PM
Guest4562

Quote:
Originally Posted by pick me View Post
Can you elaborate why it is such a bad idea?
My experience has been that I've just never been able to produce an acceptable tone at any volume using an internal mic, whether alone or in concert with another system. I find an inherent boxiness that I can't eq out. At even moderate volume feedback becomes problematic and I'm fighting with the notch. After several attempts with various internal mics, my fighting days are over.
Old 08-31-2015, 01:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Mac View Post
My experience has been that I've just never been able to produce an acceptable tone at any volume using an internal mic, whether alone or in concert with another system. I find an inherent boxiness that I can't eq out. At even moderate volume feedback becomes problematic and I'm fighting with the notch. After several attempts with various internal mics, my fighting days are over.
Many people use an internal mic just fine. Tommy Emanuel, for example, uses one as at least an equal component of his sound, while playing at way too loud levels.

But in this case, I missed that this was all for playing at home. Everyone has different wants and needs, so if plugging in at home is what's needed, that's fine, and I wouldn't expect feedback to be a big issue unless you're trying to scare the neighbors with the volume. Personally, I view being able to play at home as having the huge benefit of not needing to plugin in and being able to hear what by acoustics really sound like, instead of hearing what some pickup sounds like. I'd give playing acoustically a 2nd chance, maybe find some reflective place, play facing a wall, or find a room where you hear yourself better. Just a suggestion
Old 08-31-2015, 01:58 PM

Hopefully this diagram helps you with finding the ring on the jack etc...

Old 08-31-2015, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Many people use an internal mic just fine. Tommy Emanuel, for example, uses one as at least an equal component of his sound, while playing at way too loud levels.

But in this case, I missed that this was all for playing at home. Everyone has different wants and needs, so if plugging in at home is what's needed, that's fine, and I wouldn't expect feedback to be a big issue unless you're trying to scare the neighbors with the volume. Personally, I view being able to play at home as having the huge benefit of not needing to plugin in and being able to hear what by acoustics really sound like, instead of hearing what some pickup sounds like. I'd give playing acoustically a 2nd chance, maybe find some reflective place, play facing a wall, or find a room where you hear yourself better. Just a suggestion
Thanks for the advice, that goes for everyone. I guess you missed that I wrote, many times I play unplugged, definitely have not given up on just playing acoustically, but I do want the ability to plug in which I have now, and hope the mic will increase that ability. While playing plugged in it seams there are things I can do that don't show up when playing unplugged, maybe that is just my imagination. Also when a person gets in a rut, I think it can help to plug in, and change things up a bit, add a different flavor if you will.

My neighbors run their ridding lawnmower all day, I hardly ever turn it up more than 1 or 2, 3 tops on the volume, so I don't think they even know I have a guitar, and that is fine with me.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification