The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-16-2002, 02:05 PM

Default Familiar with American Acoustech?

Found a couple of examples of this brand in a local shop, both were spruce, one with cherry backs & sides and one with walnut.

They sounded pretty nice for the money, but I am curious what others have heard about them.

Ever played or owned one?

As far as I can tell, they're out of Rochester, NY and were/are a joint project between a couple of luthiers and a technical institute.

Their website is shutdown, so I'm not even sure if they are still in business...

Any info would be appreciated!

Daren
310-KCE
Old 04-16-2002, 04:03 PM

Not much help, here, but I believe Dave Stutzman (of Stutzman's Guitar Center in Rochester, NY) was involved in the venture. He provided a wee bit of info and some links on his "Home" page at:
http://www.stutzmansguitarcenter.com/index.htm

I tried the links and the 'American Acoustech' site is CLOSED for sure! But you MIGHT get some info from Dave, via the eMail link on his website.

Good luck!!

"Experience is something you get just after you needed it!"
Old 04-16-2002, 08:24 PM

Yes, they are out of business unfortunately. I've heard their guitars on MP3's. Sound pretty good for the money!
Old 04-16-2002, 09:00 PM

Daren:

I'm from Rochester and Stutzmans Guitar Center is the most credible source of acoustic guitars, work and knowledge in the area...my store of choice. Dave, the owner, is a solid guy as are all those that work there. I've played many American Acoustech guitars. I personally feel that for the money they are a great value. Good tone that rivals big names for literally thousands less.

I have friends that own them and tried them out in the store several times. He only makes dreadnoughts. At one point he planned on making OM's and even had a prototype but I'm not sure if he mass produced them or not. I haven't heard that they stopped making them but I haven't asked the quesiton either. The store phone number is 716.352-3225.
Old 04-19-2002, 11:02 PM

I went to see Phil Keaggy tonight, just go home and they raffled off and American Acoustechs guitar. Phil came out and played it and signed it for the winner. It was cool.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:02 AM

Default I own the cherry model...

...and it is so fantastic. I play it at least once a week, had it for years. It sounds like a mid level Taylor. Many people have played it and say the same. To be honest it was hung with the Taylors in the shop I purchased her from. A definite deal and a keeper. I still keep an eye out for the walnut model.

"In the trail of the barge and the light upon the brine he slaked these thoughts and the forces undivided
singing don't fall through the stars, don't fall through them..." Grey Ghost ~ Mike Doughty
Old 01-05-2011, 06:49 PM

Default Stutzman's guitar center

They usually have a few around the showroom. I don't think they have any new models left, but they did a nice job for a while.

I think Dave's brother Richard might have been in on this. He does a lot of the repairs at the shop and may have contributed to the design of the AA guitar.
Old 02-01-2018, 05:28 PM

Dave has been an old friend for years. I remember well these guitars. I went and checked them out when they were in development. Dave had me demonstrate a sample for the workers in the factory one time. Their was a hole in the market for mid level solid tops which these guitars would have nicely filled. But the company spent a long time in the development phase and the marketing opportunity quickly closed. Martin would soon come out with cheaper models and others would follow. You gotta seize the day.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification