The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-29-2018, 04:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
I purchased one when they came out. I posted about it. It’s a decent sounding unit for light use. Mine had a hiss with nothing plugged in. I returned it. But it was fine for what it was. $300 is a bargain. Just don’t expect to use it for anything but light/home use.
Yes, Dave - I read ALL your reviews and write-ups on it and am aware of the hiss you encountered so it was something I was looking for in the demo unit (nothing) and something I'll be keenly aware of when I power up the new unit tomorrow.

I plan to gig with it (assuming no hiss or other issues). Like I said, the A/B with the Bose L1C had more power out of the Harbinger. Since so many rave about their experience with the Bose systems I'll give the Harbinger a shot.

Sure, it might not hold up to a lot of use but I'll test that theory. We've only just begun to play out anyway and the places we play are small and relatively tame - restaurants.
Old 01-29-2018, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Yes, Dave - I read ALL your reviews and write-ups on it and am aware of the hiss you encountered so it was something I was looking for in the demo unit (nothing) and something I'll be keenly aware of when I power up the new unit tomorrow.

I plan to gig with it (assuming no hiss or other issues). Like I said, the A/B with the Bose L1C had more power out of the Harbinger. Since so many rave about their experience with the Bose systems I'll give the Harbinger a shot.

Sure, it might not hold up to a lot of use but I'll test that theory. We've only just begun to play out anyway and the places we play are small and relatively tame - restaurants.

I liked my demo in the store enough to purchase one. So, I agree. At that price it’s easy to take a flyer.
Old 01-29-2018, 06:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
I liked my demo in the store enough to purchase one. So, I agree. At that price it’s easy to take a flyer.
I think I was less impressed with the Bose than I was impressed with the Harbinger, if that makes sense. I fully expected the Bose to blow it out of the water and only because of the incredible price I'd buy the Harbinger. It was a little disconcerting, to tell you the truth.

And I'm not a Bose basher, by any means. I own a LOT of Bose products - headphones (probably 4 pairs), Bluetooth speakers, etc. Unlike some of the audio 'purists' that pan all things Bose (ever go to a headphone forum?), I always found that I liked the 'color' of the Bose sound with their headphones.
Old 01-29-2018, 07:28 PM

Default Harbinger MSL 800 On Sale!

Harbinger MSL 800 Sold out on their website!
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 01-29-2018, 09:40 PM

Stopped in a guitar center in southeast Pa today, they had a few. Sales guy checked other stores and said all the surrounding stores in southeast Pa and New Jersey still had stock. A online search wont show ability to order one. Seems like good system for the price. Took one home, it's pretty darn nice. Played some pandora music and a couple different guitars thru it. I think its well worth the closeout price.

Last edited by woodenstrings; 01-29-2018 at 09:47 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 01-30-2018, 05:25 PM
Charter Member

Fired mine up today and play/sang through it. No noticeable hiss, so that was good. Could barely get it up past about 25% but my living room is small, so that should not be a surprise.

We'll have duo practice on Saturday and then we have an Acoustic Brunch gig on Sunday morning so I'll report back then.

Right now just running my guitar and single mic into TCH Harmony-G XT. Will most likely eventually do an inexpensive mixer to get more inputs (second mic, mostly) and some EQ and effects.
Old 01-30-2018, 10:22 PM

Thanks to SpruceTop for giving us all the head's up!

I picked up the last one in the store near me (Redmond WA).

This should do very nicely for smallish gigs (which is what we're playing currently). Even if someone comes out with something equally as small, but way better, for $299 this will be a heckuva nice spare.

Edit: I had to return it. It had the same hiss with no inputs and all volumes at 0 that martingitdave experienced.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci

Last edited by Gordon Currie; 02-03-2018 at 07:20 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification