The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-23-2014, 12:29 PM

Default Why does the Ultrasound AG30 sound so good?

Hi AGF,
Just wondering what Ultrasound did to make the AG30 sound so much better than 90% of the acoustic amps on the market. I've played Fender, Marshall, Fishman, AER, and none of them have the nice full even tone of my AG30. I wish they were still making amps.
Old 12-23-2014, 12:34 PM

Here.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=366131

You can ask him !
1986 Ovation 1758 12 String
2007 Walden G2070
2008 Guild D55 Prototype
1998 Guild Starfire IV
2016 Guild Newark St. X-175 Sunburst
1996 Ovation 1768-7LTD " custom "
Old 12-23-2014, 04:15 PM

Where do I start. This and all of the Ultrasound amps have unique circuitry that keeps the guitar signal full and balanced. There are no corners cut by trying to only have 1 stage of preamp gain and then passively trying to manipulate the signal from there.
Anyway, the circuit used on these amps is "my" design.
I use this same circuit in my products also, so they will have that full rich tone that your AG30 has.
Old 12-23-2014, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch Scott View Post
Hi AGF,
Just wondering what Ultrasound did to make the AG30 sound so much better than 90% of the acoustic amps on the market. I've played Fender, Marshall, Fishman, AER, and none of them have the nice full even tone of my AG30. I wish they were still making amps.
I suspect that the way the Ultrasound is voiced is a really good match for the pickup system in your guitar. Piezo, probably? Point a good mic at the 12th fret, plugged into a high quality active speaker, and you'll get plenty of full and even tone...if your guitar has full and even tone acoustically. Piezos sound terrible on their own. Lots of powerful EQ, from somewhere, is required. Good for Ultrasound for building it in and making it easy.

P
Old 12-23-2014, 07:14 PM

Lot's of love for these Ultrasounds. I have the "Dean Markley" little brother AG15. Love it.
Old 12-23-2014, 07:17 PM

How much does the AG30 weigh? Can't see it on the website.

Taylor 710 sunburst
Epiphone ef-500m

...a few electrics
Old 12-23-2014, 07:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psalad View Post
How much does the AG30 weigh? Can't see it on the website.
Hi Psalad...

I had one (a friend now owns it), and still own a pair of AG-15 (14 pounds) and a pair of AG-50 (26 pounds). I think the AG-30 was about the same as my AG-50 (24 pounds?).

I originally bought an AG-30 used as a trial for stage work, and fell in love with it. When I needed more coverage, and more volume, I bought an AG-50 (DS-2), and I sold the AG-30 to a friend who needed an acoustic amp.

Currently I own an AG-15, AG-15m, AG-50 (DS-3) and AG-50 (DS-4)

I think the AG-15 is as good as the AG-30, in fact better. It has three way tone, plus presence control, and it only weighs 14 pounds! In fact the AG-15m has two channels, plus all the same output functions as the AG-30. The AG-15m is the best small amp I've ever heard, or owned.

I believe the AG-30 is slated for an update early 2015. I can produce equal stage volumes with my AG-15 amps as I did with the AG-30, and drive either of them all the way up to the feedback point well before hitting any overdrive. In fact the master never gets above 2pm if noon is straight up (half way between off and full volume).

The full sweep of the Volume knob is 7pm off and 5pm full volume.

Watts don't tell it all…
To double the output volume of a 50 watt amp you need 500 watts (10 times the power to double the volume). So the difference between 15 and 30 watts is minimal since both have so much head room.

When my AG-15 isn't enough output (single 8" coax speaker) then I move up to the AG-50 (dual 8" coax speakers).

And an AG-50 can drive you off stage with volume. I've run it in some very aggressive stage environments (loud loud loud stage) and it was able to cut through for me when I put it about 36" high and 3 feet behind me.

I chose the AG-series amps because you can sing through them as well as play through them. They also are very clean, and sound very natural. They don't sound like I'm playing a guitar through an amp, but like a loud guitar playing.

The thing which separated the UltraSound amps from the AER for me is the ability to sing through them. They sound/work great as a mini PA. I've done a lot of coffee houses with one. They are also more rugged for regular road use.

If I was not a singer, I'd own an AER Alpha too.

The AG-50 also has a set of effects built in, and though I never use them, many do. The AG-50 DS-4 also provides phantom power for microphones.

The AG-30 and AG-50 also have a notch filter to control feedback (with a sweepable control) and a 'scoop' filter which scoops midrange frequency. I use neither. Only the AG-50 and larger amps than it have both individual channel gains, and a master output gain.

I look forward to hearing/handling Greg Farres's new designs as they begin to emerge. I'm definitely a fan-boy of the UltraSound series.

Hope this contributes to the thread...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

Last edited by ljguitar; 12-23-2014 at 07:47 PM. Reason: added a stat
Old 12-24-2014, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Psalad...

I had one (a friend now owns it), and still own a pair of AG-15 (14 pounds) and a pair of AG-50 (26 pounds). I think the AG-30 was about the same as my AG-50 (24 pounds?).

I originally bought an AG-30 used as a trial for stage work, and fell in love with it. When I needed more coverage, and more volume, I bought an AG-50 (DS-2), and I sold the AG-30 to a friend who needed an acoustic amp.

Currently I own an AG-15, AG-15m, AG-50 (DS-3) and AG-50 (DS-4)

I think the AG-15 is as good as the AG-30, in fact better. It has three way tone, plus presence control, and it only weighs 14 pounds! In fact the AG-15m has two channels, plus all the same output functions as the AG-30. The AG-15m is the best small amp I've ever heard, or owned.

I believe the AG-30 is slated for an update early 2015. I can produce equal stage volumes with my AG-15 amps as I did with the AG-30, and drive either of them all the way up to the feedback point well before hitting any overdrive. In fact the master never gets above 2pm if noon is straight up (half way between off and full volume).

The full sweep of the Volume knob is 7pm off and 5pm full volume.

Watts don't tell it all…
To double the output volume of a 50 watt amp you need 500 watts (10 times the power to double the volume). So the difference between 15 and 30 watts is minimal since both have so much head room.

When my AG-15 isn't enough output (single 8" coax speaker) then I move up to the AG-50 (dual 8" coax speakers).

And an AG-50 can drive you off stage with volume. I've run it in some very aggressive stage environments (loud loud loud stage) and it was able to cut through for me when I put it about 36" high and 3 feet behind me.

I chose the AG-series amps because you can sing through them as well as play through them. They also are very clean, and sound very natural. They don't sound like I'm playing a guitar through an amp, but like a loud guitar playing.

The thing which separated the UltraSound amps from the AER for me is the ability to sing through them. They sound/work great as a mini PA. I've done a lot of coffee houses with one. They are also more rugged for regular road use.

If I was not a singer, I'd own an AER Alpha too.

The AG-50 also has a set of effects built in, and though I never use them, many do. The AG-50 DS-4 also provides phantom power for microphones.

The AG-30 and AG-50 also have a notch filter to control feedback (with a sweepable control) and a 'scoop' filter which scoops midrange frequency. I use neither. Only the AG-50 and larger amps than it have both individual channel gains, and a master output gain.

I look forward to hearing/handling Greg Farres's new designs as they begin to emerge. I'm definitely a fan-boy of the UltraSound series.

Hope this contributes to the thread...

Wow LJ, you know your Ultrasounds.
I can't wait to try out the Ai1 I got on Kickstarter.
If it is as good as the Ultrasound gear, I will be a happy camper!
Old 12-24-2014, 08:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch Scott View Post
Wow LJ, you know your Ultrasounds.
Hi Mitch...

Yeah - I guess I do. They are my traveling companions!

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-12-2015, 08:22 PM

I have an old AG30 that I love.Wonder If I could figure a way to sing thru it too?
With only one channel...I thought about a mic for both instrument and vocal,but would this work?
Old 12-12-2015, 09:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Pannell W View Post
I have an old AG30 that I love.Wonder If I could figure a way to sing thru it too?
With only one channel...I thought about a mic for both instrument and vocal,but would this work?
Hi Keith…
First off Hello and Welcome to the Forum! Glad to answer the question…

The UltraSound Ultra-DI-Max external preamp is two channels - one XLR the other ¼" each with separate input volumes.

It's got the same tone controls as the AG-30, and separate output adjustment as well as individual input gains. Built like a tank. The XLR has no Phantom so you have to use a dynamic mic.

I've used mine many times with my AG-15 (and With an AG-30 and an older AG-50 pre DS-anything). If you can find one, it plays well with anything, and takes up far less space than a mixer, and you can feed it with phantom from the mixer if you are playing to a House PA.

You could use a simple two channel mixer as well and accomplish playing and singing through it.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

Last edited by ljguitar; 12-12-2015 at 09:27 PM. Reason: I did something weird and repeated a block of text - FIXED IT!!!!
Old 12-12-2015, 10:08 PM

WOW,Thank you for the information.I just looked at some small mixers,but this DI you are showing would be even better.Will look around,Thanks again.
Yamaha cgx 122
Yamaha thr5a for Guitar
Yamaha thr5a for vocal
Old 12-12-2015, 10:28 PM

I just ordered the Ultrasound DI MAX.....Again,Thank You Sir
Yamaha cgx 122
Yamaha thr5a for Guitar
Yamaha thr5a for vocal
Old 12-13-2015, 08:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Pannell W View Post
I just ordered the Ultrasound DI MAX.....Again,Thank You Sir
You are welcome, Keith…
And UltraSound Amps are still made/sold as far as I know. Since Greg sold the company, their service department has not been very helpful.

The DS-4 (AG-50) is readily available for $400 from Shoreline Music (one of the sponsors of this forum) and other dealers as well. It is certainly the darling of the line (I own 2 of them).

Two channels, and awesome tone in a 24 pound package.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

Old 12-13-2015, 09:46 AM

I had one as well until a thief decided he wanted mine.I am contemplating getting another 50.But I want the DI either way.
Yamaha cgx 122
Yamaha thr5a for Guitar
Yamaha thr5a for vocal

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification