The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-18-2017, 07:30 AM

Default Trance Amulet MVT Install Questions

1. Anyone leave their Amulet lenses permanently installed with the temp white tape? If so, how durable was it.

2. Does the red tape and clamp improve the tone? If so, how?

I've got the system installed with the white tape. It sounds totally natural. I think the bass could stand to be "artificially" increased.

3. Is that the reason for the permanent tape? Bass?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 02-18-2017, 08:25 AM
Charter Member

The "permanent tape" is much thinner than the temporary tape and should be used for your final installation. Also, the permanent tape is permanent in the sense that the Amulets will not fall off the bridgeplate but are still quite easily removed. I would outline with a short, sharp pencil the current Amulet positions and reinstall the Amulets with the permanent tape.

Did you install the Amulets using the Trance instructions? If so, when you reinstall the Amulets with the permanent tape, you could move the BASS Amulet outward, along the saddle-line, maybe 1/32" (.0315") from its current position, and you'll likely get a stronger bass response. Using the permanent tape should also give you a better overall tone.

As far as clamping the Amulets, I've installed Amulets using finger-pressure for 10 minutes; using a deep-throat C-Clamp for 15 minutes (older instructions); using a C-clamp for over 12 hours per the newest instructions. I've gotten good tonal results with all three methods but, perhaps, for best bonding, the 12-hour method is best (for probably better tone, too). When clamping, I turn the finger adjuster on the clamp just tight enough to apply perhaps, 1 to 2 lbs/ft of torque which holds the Amulet firmly in place without damaging anything.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 02-18-2017 at 08:50 AM.
Old 02-18-2017, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
The "permanent tape" is much thinner than the temporary tape and should be used for your final installation. Also, the permanent tape is permanent in the sense that the Amulets will not fall off the bridgeplate but are still quite easily removed. I would outline with a short, sharp pencil the current Amulet positions and reinstall the Amulets with the permanent tape.

Did you install the Amulets using the Trance instructions? If so, when you reinstall the Amulets with the permanent tape, you could move the BASS Amulet outward, along the saddle-line, maybe 1/32" (.0315") from its current position, and you'll likely get a stronger bass response. Using the permanent tape should also give you a better overall tone.

As far as clamping the Amulets, I've installed Amulets using finger-pressure for 10 minutes; using a deep-throat C-Clamp for 15 minutes (older instructions); using a C-clamp for over 12 hours per the newest instructions. I've gotten good tonal results with all three methods but, perhaps, for best bonding, the 12-hour method is best (for probably better tone, too). When clamping, I turn the finger adjuster on the clamp just ight enough to apply perhaps, 1 to 2 lbs/ft of torque which holds the Amulet firmly in place without damaging anything.

Ken,

You're a saint, as usual! That's EXACTLY the information I needed. I think I will nudge the bass side as you suggested.

I think they need a quicker method than 12 hours. 2-3 days to complete a pickup install is a bit excessive in me estimation. :-). Then again, if it sounds this good, I guess it's worth it.

Old 02-18-2017, 09:07 AM

There is a trim control on the preamp inside the guitar - and there are 2 input jacks. If the bass input jack is running into the preamp as input "A" - during install that side can be boosted a bit. Install with the permanent tape and use one of the little screw clamp things over night. I had one installed and the guy did a great job on the initial placement but used only the temporary tape. During a car trip between Colorado and Montana the pickups detached, resulting in my basically having to re-do the install myself. Was not hard.
Gibson J-50 (K&K Pure Mini)
Martin D-35 (Trance Audio M)
Gibson J-35 Vintage (Trance Audio M)
Martin 1937 D-28 Authentic "Aged"
Old 02-19-2017, 02:53 PM
Charter Member

To my ear, the white tape is all but useless. The red tape sounds dramatically better. It will also hold better.

Although the install takes a while if you clamp for 12 hours, you can make it goes faster. First of all, you can clamp both transducers at once if you have the clamps. So set it up, go to bed, get up in the morning, and you're ready to go. Second, tho Trance certainly recommends the 12-hours, the guitar tech at Gryphon, who has installed lots of these, tells me they don't do that. They have told me that they don't even clamp, just hold tight by hand for about 5 minutes (sounds tiring :-)).

I have tried clamping overnight and tried clamping for about 20 minutes. I didn't notice any difference. But since it's no big deal to let a guitar sit overnight, it doesn't bother me to be a bit patient, and I won't have any nagging doubts about not following the instructions. But if you're in a big rush, try it and see how a shorter time works for you. If you don't like the results, they're easy to pop off and you can just try again, clamping overrnight.

Last edited by Doug Young; 02-19-2017 at 03:30 PM.
Old 02-19-2017, 03:14 PM

Default Trance Amulet MVT Install Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
To my ear, the white tape is all but useless. The red tape sounds dramatically better. It will also hold better.

Although the install takes a while if you clamp for 12 hours, you can make it goes faster. First of all, you can clamp both transducers at once if you have the clamps. So set it up, go to bed, get up in the morning, and you're ready to go. Second, tho Trance certainly recommends the 12-hours, the guitar tech at Gryphon, who has installed lots of these, tells me that don't do that. They have told me that they don't even clamp, just hold tight by hand for about 5 minutes (sounds tiring :-)).

I have tried clamping overnight and tried clamping for about 20 minutes. I didn't notice any difference. But since it's no big deal to let a guitar sit overnight, it doesn't bother me to be a bit patient, and I won't have any nagging doubts about not following the instructions. But if you're in a big rush, try it and see how a shorter time works for you. If you don't like the results, they're easy to pop off and you can just try again, clamping overrnight.

Thanks Doug! I appreciate you taking the time to share that.

I decided to be patient and let the clamps sit for 12 hours overnight. The red tape makes a world of difference. I'm very pleased with the quality of this pickup. And the low noise floor is noticeably different.

When I was using the white tape for placement, the trebles were very sharp. With the red tape I can turn the tone wheel all the way up and it sounds great. On my Line 6, I have the EQ completely flat and it sounds great. On my Carvin, I rolled the mids back to 11 o'clock and it's also crystal clear.

Last edited by martingitdave; 02-19-2017 at 08:10 PM.
Old 02-19-2017, 03:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Thanks Doug! I appreciate you taking the time to share that.

I decided to be patient and let the clamps sit for 12 hours overnight. The red tape makes a world of difference. I'm very pleased with the quality of this pickup. And the low noise floor is noticeably different.

This is certainly a high fidelity (microphone like) pickup system. When I was using the white tape for placement, the trebles were very sharp. With the red tape I can turn the tone wheel all the way up and it sounds great. On my Line 6, I have the EQ completely flat and it sounds great. On my Carvin, I rolled the mids back to 11 o'clock and it's also crystal clear.

David, Have you noticed how easily it is to roll-in a nice balanced tone using the Tone wheel on the soundhole module? Just strum across the strings and turn slowly until--BANG!--the tonal spectrum falls into balance! This feature, along with fairly small adjustments on an amp or mixer, can be helpful in quickly adapting guitar tone in variety of venues. Play On!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 02-19-2017, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
David, Have you noticed how easily it is to roll-in a nice balanced tone using the Tone wheel on the soundhole module? Just strum across the strings and turn slowly until--BANG!--the tonal spectrum falls into balance! This feature, along with fairly small adjustments on an amp or mixer, can be helpful in quickly adapting guitar tone in variety of venues. Play On!

Yes, it works as advertised! What I find the most telling is the lack of adjustment to PA to get that dialed in sound. The other systems required fiddling at the PA. I feel like you can plug this straight in and play.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification