The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 02-15-2017, 06:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post
I've been patiently waiting for the F512 to appear ... Nice job taming the beast.

Really like this one, Glenn. It sounds like you've been playing it for years instead of days.
Hi Paul,

Oh, I hoped you would check in to hear the F512! I hope you are liking yours!

I have been playing a 12-string since I was 18 years old, so that is, what? 51 years now? Playing the F512 feels no different to me than playing the F212. The only difference is that the F512 sounds different -- more bass, more low overtone richness, more power, and a more solid sound. In fact, I keep the F212 in my studio, where I record these videos, and I keep the F512 in our house. So I first worked this out on the F212 to see whether this song would work for me at all.

Then I practiced and worked out the bugs in our house with the F512. I liked the sound so much that I brought the F512 up to the studio.

Thanks for the comments Paul! And for listening!

- Glenn
Old 02-15-2017, 06:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Nads View Post
Wonderful, wonderful job of that Gord great, Glenn...and little too much alliteration on my part ;-).

Seriously though, marvellous, soulful playing, and the vocals are top-notch.
Hey B-Nads!

Thank you so very much! I'm so glad this song worked out! Think how it would be if Sal asked me to learn this and I couldn't do it! Thankfully the song fit me well enough for me to adapt to it.

Interesting that you should use the word "soulful." I certainly found myself falling into this vision of this woman coming to me (oh, coming to Gordon Lightfoot, I mean) and falling into my arms (well, his arms really), and then after all this wonderment, she leaves! It's heartbreaking. Will she come back tomorrow night? Only Gordo knows, but it must have made quite an impression on him. I can tell you, it would have made quite an impression on me!

My older brother would tell me that this is a song about the Second Law of Thermodynamics. That is, that things in the universe that happen are not reversible. That actions have consequences and you can't take them back. Somebody maintains their freedom, somebody ends up with a broken heart...

The song definitely calls for soulfulness!

- Glenn
Old 02-16-2017, 09:12 PM

Hey old man, (no, no offense, I'm old enough to be retired myself) are you using AGF as your personal test market before going full pro and releasing an album? Nicely done...the playing and singing thing, not the using AGF as a test market thing. You know, I'm strictly a guitar player and it is my personal belief that serious guitar players should stick with seriously playing guitar and shouldn't ruin it by singing. With few exceptions I usually cringe when I hear guitar players sing, including most big name pros. Ever hear Chet Atkiins or Tommy E. sing? IMO pretty sad when they do and they should stick to guitar. Thankfully I think they might (have) know(n) that too and thankfully they generally stick to playing. I took over 6 months of voice lessons and still wouldn't have the temerity to sing with my playing. Maybe something to do with that old saying about walking and chewing gum at the same time. But you do a pretty darn good job of playing and singing. I've much enjoyed several of your just playing videos and this one with singing is very good too. For what it's worth (maybe not a lot) I give it my stamp of approval. Yer a talented young man...for an old guy

...I hope my views and comments don't derail your post and take it 10 pages off on tangents not intended. All meant in a lighthearted, very complimentary spirit.

Oh, and I almost forgot, that Guild is wonderful. I always thought they made one of the best sounding 12 stringers out there...that's coming from a Taylor guy.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailpicker View Post
Hey old man, (no, no offense, I'm old enough to be retired myself) are you using AGF as your personal test market before going full pro and releasing an album? Nicely done...the playing and singing thing, not the using AGF as a test market thing. You know, I'm strictly a guitar player and it is my personal belief that serious guitar players should stick with seriously playing guitar and shouldn't ruin it by singing. With few exceptions I usually cringe when I hear guitar players sing, including most big name pros. Ever hear Chet Atkiins or Tommy E. sing? IMO pretty sad when they do and they should stick to guitar. Thankfully I think they might (have) know(n) that too and thankfully they generally stick to playing. I took over 6 months of voice lessons and still wouldn't have the temerity to sing with my playing. Maybe something to do with that old saying about walking and chewing gum at the same time. But you do a pretty darn good job of playing and singing. I've much enjoyed several of your just playing videos and this one with singing is very good too. For what it's worth (maybe not a lot) I give it my stamp of approval. Yer a talented young man...for an old guy

...I hope my views and comments don't derail your post and take it 10 pages off on tangents not intended. All meant in a lighthearted, very complimentary spirit.

Oh, and I almost forgot, that Guild is wonderful. I always thought they made one of the best sounding 12 stringers out there...that's coming from a Taylor guy.
Hi Nailpicker,

I am not taking one little bit of offense! Thank you so much for listening and for taking the time to comment. The Show & Tell section sometimes seems pretty lonely, as if we were in the backwoods of Wisconsin or something (or the backwoods of Washington, for that matter! ), so it is wonderful when someone will actually post something to comment on a song or performance.

So, thank you very much for your vote of confidence. And I really do mean, that -- thank you! (Even for an old guy, which I most certainly am. )

By the way, I have no intention of issuing any kind of album or CD. At least I don't think I do. I did that 25-30 years ago a couple of times. I do not need the hassle of trying to break even on some album project. And it's much harder to make money today than it was 25-30 years ago.

For me right now, I am enjoying doing covers of other musician's works that I admire. I have spent so much of my past writing songs, working out arrangements, making multi-track recordings, and then putting out albums and then doing all kinds of traveling and performing -- again, this is 25-30 years ago -- that I really burned out on all that. And, I was working my regular job and trying to make money with music at the same time. I realized then, it was more fun just making music on my terms and not worrying about trying to make money.

While the weather is crummy now and since I am retired, I am enjoying the recording and making of some videos of other people's songs and having some place to place them where fellow guitar players can view and hear them. Where people who actually know something about music and guitars hang out... Maybe it even adds something to the AGF, but who knows.

Thanks again for commenting and for listening!

- Glenn
Old 02-17-2017, 06:14 AM

Glen, that was fabulous. Your voice and command of the guitar, combined with a beautiful song was at a professional level. A level to which I can only aspire to.

Henk
Old 02-17-2017, 10:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjock View Post
Glen, that was fabulous. Your voice and command of the guitar, combined with a beautiful song was at a professional level. A level to which I can only aspire to.

Henk
Thank you so much Henk! And Gordon Lightfoot is right from your neck of the woods. How cool!

I had a dormitory counselor my first year of college (1966-67) who was from Toronto and who went to high school with Gordon Lightfoot, knew him personally. He actually loaned me his LP of GL's first album so I could be introduced to Gordon's music first hand. I had heard Peter, Paul & Mary do "Early Mornin' Rain," a song I really loved, but I had not heard Gordon do his own singing and playing. So this experience turned out to be a cool way to get to know Gordon Lightfoot's music.

Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment!

- Glenn
Old 02-17-2017, 08:13 PM

bliss listening to you Glenn.
I like your rendition even better than Gordo's.
and I freakin love Gordo's rendition!!!!
you are such a gifted artist.
I remember years ago, associating this song with Softly as I Leave You by Sinatra.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas52 View Post
bliss listening to you Glenn.
I like your rendition even better than Gordo's.
and I freakin love Gordo's rendition!!!!
you are such a gifted artist.
I remember years ago, associating this song with Softly as I Leave You by Sinatra.
Thank you Charlie for your comments -- how generous of you to take the time to listen and comment. Better than Gordo? Boy, I don't know... But thank you!

- Glenn
Old 02-25-2017, 04:07 PM

I don't know that song so I have nothing to compare in terms of your rendition. But that's fine, I love this performance. Light and sweet with a nice blend with the guitar. Great intonation as well. Thanks for posting.
Old 02-25-2017, 06:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmerO View Post
I don't know that song so I have nothing to compare in terms of your rendition. But that's fine, I love this performance. Light and sweet with a nice blend with the guitar. Great intonation as well. Thanks for posting.
Thanks so much Jim and thanks for taking the time to listen and comment!

- Glenn
Old 02-25-2017, 09:55 PM

Superb cover.Wonderful musicianship in a relaxed mastery of guitar and vocals.
Old 02-26-2017, 12:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatbaroque View Post
Superb cover.Wonderful musicianship in a relaxed mastery of guitar and vocals.
Hi FB,

Thank you so much for your generous comments; and thank you so much for taking the time to watch. You made my day.

- Glenn
Old 02-26-2017, 07:30 AM

Beautiful, you really seem to have a handle on the Lightfoot songs.
The warmth and romance of the mind.

Henk
Old 02-26-2017, 10:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjock View Post
Beautiful, you really seem to have a handle on the Lightfoot songs.
The warmth and romance of the mind.

Henk
Thank you Henk! I appreciate your listening and your comments.

- Glenn
Old 02-26-2017, 12:38 PM

Sounded great Glenn!
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell