The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Old 02-11-2017, 12:53 PM
Charter Member

Default Aaron Cowles 2006 Jubal Jumbo (1934-36 Jumbo) SOLD

This guitar is a replica of the original Jumbo offered by Gibson in the 1930's. The design predates that Trojan, or J-35. It was built by Aaron Cowles, a master luthier at the Gibson company in Kalamazoo Michigan.

After Gibson moved to Nashville in 1984, Aaron opened his own ship, Aaron's Music Service, where he repaired instrument and built his own line of guitars and mandolins. Jubal was the name that he gave to his mandolins and flat top guitars. His archtop guitars were built with the name of Unity. The shop is now operated by his second son, Steve.

I have spoken with Steve regarding this guitar, it was originally built for his brother, but was purchased by a customer that couldn't wait for Aaron to build him another one. Steve is now building Jubal Jumbos and could answer any construction questions anyone may have. http://www.aaronsmusicservice.com/

This guitar is very clear and resonant and has the authentic sound of the original Gibson design. It has a 16" lower bout, a 24.75" scale and only a 1/4" taper from the neck block to the end block. The bracing is quite different from the later J-35 and J-45 with more straight sided bracing. The back and sides is mahogany and the top is close grained spruce.

Here is a sound clip

Gibson made a reissue of this model, the 1934 Original Jumbo Reissue. http://www.gibson.com/Products/Acous...nal-Jumbo.aspx

Here is a link to some photos and a description of the original design
http://www.guitarhq.com/jumbo.html

The guitar is in very good to excellent condition with a few filled finish dings on the top. The neck was recently resprayed by Kerry Char in Portland as there were a few chips missing from the use of a capo.

The bridge plate has also been replaced with an original shaped maple piece.

Asking SOLD shipped to the lower 48.

Last edited by Keith7940236; 03-07-2017 at 07:12 PM.
Old 02-11-2017, 01:29 PM

Oh, wow. Great provenance. To those not familiar with Aaron Cowles, he was one of the top Gibson luthiers who designed, carved and made the Gibson Citation archtop guitars. Aaron stayed on with The Heritage Guitar Company when Gibson moved to Nashville, TN and continued making archtop and other guitars with the small company and under his own label.

He was more well-known amongst the archtop guys. Any guitar made by Aaron Cowles carries the Gibson DNA because, well, he was very much part of the old Gibson of Kalamazoo, MI. An old Gibson hand.

Good luck with the sale. Hope it finds a good home.
Old 02-11-2017, 01:33 PM
Charter Member

Here are a few photos of one of his Unity archtop guitars. I guess you could say that he knew what he was doing.............

Old 02-11-2017, 01:50 PM
Charter Member

I sent you a PM.
Old 02-11-2017, 06:10 PM

Hi, nice guitar!! What is the width at the nut and the saddle string spacing on the Jubal? Is the neck profile a sharp "V", soft "V" or "C" shape? Thanks!!
Old 02-11-2017, 06:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisco1 View Post
Hi, nice guitar!! What is the width at the nut and the saddle string spacing on the Jubal? Is the neck profile a sharp "V", soft "V" or "C" shape? Thanks!!
The neck width at the nut is 1-3/4" and the spacing at the saddle is 2-3/8"
The neck is a C shape.

Last edited by Keith7940236; 02-11-2017 at 07:35 PM.
Old 02-12-2017, 10:39 AM

Had the pleasure of getting to know and work with Aaron. He did my tech work, and had him build me one of his Jumbos. Actually had a great piece of Mahogany that was large enough for a one piece back. Not going to be a lot of these around, but they are great sounding instruments.
Old 02-13-2017, 03:58 PM
Charter Member

I know this guitar well. A good friend owned it and the day after I first played it, I was standing in Aaron's shop to order one. Aaron owned a 30's Jumbo and he took measurements from it to make the Jubals. I haven't played any other replica that comes closer to the true vintage sound of original Jumbos.

Greg Brown owns 2, Garnet Rogers has one plus he bought Aaron's original Jumbo. I have a "J-185" that someone let slip through their fingers.

If you're looking for that 30's Gibson Jumbo sound, this is it. Everyone who has played mine, loves it. Keith did some fine upgrades that should only enhance the sound of Aaron's goal.

GLWS Kieth. BTW, is that your Unity. The last time I saw Aaron he was making one- simply awesome guitars.

bill
Old 02-13-2017, 04:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by willysunday View Post
I know this guitar well. A good friend owned it and the day after I first played it, I was standing in Aaron's shop to order one. Aaron owned a 30's Jumbo and he took measurements from it to make the Jubals. I haven't played any other replica that comes closer to the true vintage sound of original Jumbos.

Greg Brown owns 2, Garnet Rogers has one plus he bought Aaron's original Jumbo. I have a "J-185" that someone let slip through their fingers.

If you're looking for that 30's Gibson Jumbo sound, this is it. Everyone who has played mine, loves it. Keith did some fine upgrades that should only enhance the sound of Aaron's goal.

GLWS Kieth. BTW, is that your Unity. The last time I saw Aaron he was making one- simply awesome guitars.

bill
Hi Bill,
No, the Unity isn't mine, just photos from the web. I know people who own and play them however, really highly sought after instruments.
Thanks!
Old 02-14-2017, 05:27 AM

I had one of these as well, a 2003 model. They are great sounding reproductions of the war time Gibson Jumbo sound.

Mine had a bridge plate that barely caught the peg holes - is that why yours was replaced? Is the size & placement different than the original?

I know there was some variation in the girth of the necks on these. Mine was a fairly substantial C but some were on the thin side. How would you describe this one?

This is one of those few guitars I have always wondered whether I should have kept even though I now have some vintage 30's & 40's Gibson's.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:36 AM
Charter Member

Yes, mine was the same, the peg holes were just inside the edge of the plate. The string ball could have damaged the top wood, that is why I replaced it. It is the same size and material: maple.

You are right about the necks, I think that he made them to order. Mine is a "C" shape, nice and comfortably round! It certainly isn't a baseball bat, but it isn't Taylor thin either. It reminds me of the neck on my '53 J-45.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cass Sumrall View Post
I had one of these as well, a 2003 model. They are great sounding reproductions of the war time Gibson Jumbo sound.

Mine had a bridge plate that barely caught the peg holes - is that why yours was replaced? Is the size & placement different than the original?

I know there was some variation in the girth of the necks on these. Mine was a fairly substantial C but some were on the thin side. How would you describe this one?

This is one of those few guitars I have always wondered whether I should have kept even though I now have some vintage 30's & 40's Gibson's.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:40 AM

I think I was the original owner on the guitar Cass referenced. The large neck on that one was the main reason I sold it. I was actually surprised when I got it because it was much larger than the demo I tried at Aarons shop. It was strictly his decision to make it that profile.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:53 AM
Charter Member

When I had the neck resprayed, I had Kerry reduce the "shoulders" of the neck. It is a full "C", but it isn't as large as it originally was. It fits in my hand in a very comfortable, natural way now. It originally had more of a "D" shape to it.
Old 02-19-2017, 11:53 AM
Charter Member

In case you didn't see in the original post, this is the same model guitar that Gibson made a reissue of. It was the Gibson 1934 Original Jumbo Reissue. These are highly sought after instruments.

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Acous...nal-Jumbo.aspx
Old 02-24-2017, 11:53 AM

Can you tell us how this compares with the sound of the 53 J45 you referred to owning?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars