The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-11-2017, 06:46 AM

Default What I am learning about practice

Hello all,

Being someone whose goal(s) are pretty much focusing on my rhythm playing and working on areas that will help me accompany myself or somebody else, a lot of my practice consists of chords, chord changes, dynamics and ways to embellishment and add color to my playing. I have a few posts on focused practicing and really seems to be improving my player. Leading up to a couple weeks ago, most of my practice was spent in from of the tv just noodling around and while I did notice some improvement, based on what I have read focused practice would lead to more improvement - and it is working.

Now, my practice consists using a timer to practice individual areas of play rather than a minute or two thinking I had done it much longer. For me, this has been a great way for me to know that I am spending an adequate amount of time in areas where I need the most work. Another thing that seems to have helped is I now spend time before the actual practice session is I spend time identifying areas that I want to work on. This has allowed me to actually spend uninterrupted time actually playing rather than spending time wondering what to do next during my practice time between exercises. I still don't keep a journal, mostly because I really don't know what to write down but I do write out the areas I want to work on before practice.

So, with all that said, I can see noticable improvement with actually spending less time with focused practice instead of noodling. What I also have noticed is that I really can only practice this way for about an hour. I used to be able to noodle around for a couple of hours but now that I am really concentrating, I lose focus after an hour so I stop. Also, now not only are my hands tired but mind is exhausted. Seriously, I am tired after I practice - so I must be doing something right.
Old 02-11-2017, 07:25 AM
Charter Member

Keep it up! I admire the perseverance and thoroughness of your practicing.
Old 02-11-2017, 07:40 AM

It does deserving mentioning that I need to be realistic too and recognize that I am probably on cloud nine right now with my playing and progress; and that at some point I will probably plateau a bit. This is where I hope a can dig in and stay as diligent and focused as I am now.
Old 02-11-2017, 08:13 AM

TV works for me while working on scales or other "mindless" finger exercise / practice routines.

Football games excluding Super Bowl, baseball games or NASCAR races are great for this.

But if I am working on perfecting songs, etc.... the TV has to be off... it's too distracting to be able to get anything accomplished.
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 02-11-2017, 08:24 AM

Good Morning. Brand new here. I just picked up a guitar for the first time a couple of weeks ago. Thanks for the tips on practicing. Trying to teach myself with the help of you tube lessons. My sticking point is transitioning between chords. What is the best way to learn? I want to learn to play the melody of simple songs along with strumming. I am working on Amazing Grace. Any tips are appreciated.
Old 02-11-2017, 08:42 AM

A number of studies have shown that the optimum time period for focused study of anything is around 20 minutes. You'll find that if you set your timer for 20 minutes, take a break, and then another 20 minutes, you'll have good results. The break can be get a drink of water, walk around for a few minutes, read a book, play a song you already know. Apparently the part of the mind/brain that learns things shuts down after around 20 minutes and you don't actually learn new things after that.

http://skillcookbook.com/duration/
Old 02-11-2017, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC5C View Post
A number of studies have shown that the optimum time period for focused study of anything is around 20 minutes. You'll find that if you set your timer for 20 minutes, take a break, and then another 20 minutes, you'll have good results. The break can be get a drink of water, walk around for a few minutes, read a book, play a song you already know. Apparently the part of the mind/brain that learns things shuts down after around 20 minutes and you don't actually learn new things after that.

http://skillcookbook.com/duration/
I never knew that but I certainly believe it.
Old 02-11-2017, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TundraLover View Post
Good Morning. Brand new here. I just picked up a guitar for the first time a couple of weeks ago. Thanks for the tips on practicing. Trying to teach myself with the help of you tube lessons. My sticking point is transitioning between chords. What is the best way to learn? I want to learn to play the melody of simple songs along with strumming. I am working on Amazing Grace. Any tips are appreciated.
TundraLover,

For me I have kept it as simple as possible. I will take two chords and practice with those by going back and forth with them for five minutes. I repeat this for a few other chord changes and I eventually discover which ones are easiest for me and which ones are more difficult. Then knowing which ones are more difficult, I spend more time on those and less on the easiest one. With time I am able to do them all with the same proficiency. I also don't try to do a whole lot of them. Just a few to a handful at most until I get them down.
Old 02-11-2017, 09:02 AM

Thanks...going from a G chord to a C chord or the other way around is hard.. But I will keep at it..
Old 02-11-2017, 09:11 AM
Charter Member

Put pinky on high e 3rd.
Put ring on low e 3rd, and mute a.

There's your G.

Now keeping ring and pinky in place, put index on b 1st and middle on d 2nd.

Voila! G to C in the blink of an eye. Great for hammerring on and off between the two also.
Old 02-11-2017, 09:24 AM

Thanks.. Will try that !!
Old 02-11-2017, 12:39 PM

Smooth chord changes is a hurdle for all beginners. I echo the advice given above, of taking two chords and switching back and forth over and over, 4 bears(down strokes) each. When fingers get too sore/ tired, you can just switch back and forth without actually touching the strings. Lots of repetition is your friend here. Pick up your guitar while watching tv and just go back and forth. If you're working on G and C, once those two are down, you add D into the mix, again just working on two chords at a time. Once you have the three down, you'll be able to play hundreds of 3 chord songs in the key of G. It will be easy to add Em at this point, which will add more interest to your songs. Then learn to play A and voila, you can now play songs in the key of D, since you already know G.

2015 Taylor 512ce 12 fret
early 80's Ovation Ultra 1517
2011 Seagull Entourage Rustic
2011 Taylor Limited NS214ce
2010 Taylor 512c
2016 Ibanez AG75
2014 Taylor GS Mini Koa e
2018 Loar LH 301t
1998 Breedlove Fall Limited # 10 of 20 Redwood/Walnut
Old 02-11-2017, 08:08 PM

Learning is a hungry little beggar. It's just never satisfied no matter your contribution.
Old 02-11-2017, 10:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TundraLover View Post
Thanks...going from a G chord to a C chord or the other way around is hard.. But I will keep at it..
Go to justinguitar.com, start and work diligently through his beginner course. You'll thank me later.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 02-12-2017, 05:30 AM

On chord movements, sometimes it's helpful to practice moving one finger at a time. Keep the strum going which will sound strange (or interesting). Go as slow as you need to accomplish that and gradually increase the speed (metronome is helpful here), ultimately adding all the fingers necessary for the chord change.

Also, be careful not to concentrate too hard. The movement needs to be automatic and some concentrate too much instead of just "letting it happen" which can interfere with the movement.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write