The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-06-2017, 03:41 AM
Charter Member

Default Beginners; do you keep take notes? (on paper)

I do. I think it helps a lot. I started with a sheet of paper the hand written basic chord diagrams. Then chord progressions. Things to look up later. The 12 bar blues progression from Blues Guitar Institute is so much easier to follow when written out. I have a full diagram of the notes on the fingerboard that I printed and I make notes on that. Lot's of things. This way I can find things easier when I want them.

Try it. It helps.
Old 02-06-2017, 06:54 AM

I think most people, me for example, had that basic stuff written out in a book or by a teacher. Visual aids are really very important, no matter how you get them.
Old 02-06-2017, 08:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
I do. I think it helps a lot. I started with a sheet of paper the hand written basic chord diagrams. Then chord progressions. Things to look up later. The 12 bar blues progression from Blues Guitar Institute is so much easier to follow when written out. I have a full diagram of the notes on the fingerboard that I printed and I make notes on that. Lot's of things. This way I can find things easier when I want them.

Try it. It helps.
For me, I find it very useful to hand write on paper the things I am trying to learn.

When I write stuff out by hand, it gets hard coded into my brain in a way that listening and looking alone cannot do.

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 02-06-2017, 08:57 AM

For me that was very helpful and still do that. I have a book of all hand written notes and diagrams.
Old 02-06-2017, 11:41 AM

For me I need to see things in written form be it in a book or my own hand written notes. I am learning the major scale in all keys by writing them out each day with the hope that my recall increases in speed. Also, I have taken the major scale and have written out a number of chord progressions in a bunch of common keys by just listing out the Roman numerals forcing me to know which chords to play by only knowing the chord progressions by numerals. And it has worked in that I am able to know which chord to play by knowing the major scale quickly by having practiced writing them out.
Old 02-07-2017, 07:24 AM
Charter Member

Yes, for me, the writing helps a lot with memorizing. And it's so nice to have a sheet that I can pull out to practice something.
Old 02-08-2017, 08:23 AM

Yes I kept a daily journal of all practice and lessons when I began 2 years ago. Still write down things of importance today. My granddaughter who just started I have started her doing the same.

I also created my own chord diagrams and fretboard on the computer to learn notes, etc.

Just last night I created a bass "worksheet" to help learn how to put down bass with the chords being played.
2006 Yamaha F200TXR 4 stroke. My Guitars - Yamaha FG700S Sandburst; Epiphone Les Paul Standard; 2018 Yamaha LL-16D Natural; Ibanez Talman Bass; Fender Standard Telecaster; Yamaha FG820-12 Natural; Yamaha FS830 Tobacco Brown Sunburst; ....A beginner practicing almost everyday since 12/15/14....{:::]==={=O=I}
Old 02-08-2017, 09:40 AM

I have a play/practice/log/journal/diary(?) going back to when I started four years ago.
I write in it everyday.
I once was told that there is magic in ones own notes.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write