The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-15-2016, 10:49 AM

Default Playing rote songs with metronome

I've been looking on Youtube to learn a few songs. I've found a few that I can learn by rote however the rhythms aren't explained. I was wondering how do I approach practicing a song with a metronome when I don't know where a particular rhythm lies in regards to each beat in a measure? Eventually I'd like to record the songs which is why I'm asking about a metronome because I plan to play/record with a click track.

I hope my question makes sense. I can try to clarify more if needed.
Old 06-15-2016, 11:21 AM
Charter Member

I start with 4/4 and then trial
And error my way thru the metronome choices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 06-15-2016, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusca View Post
I've been looking on Youtube to learn a few songs. I've found a few that I can learn by rote however the rhythms aren't explained. I was wondering how do I approach practicing a song with a metronome when I don't know where a particular rhythm lies in regards to each beat in a measure? Eventually I'd like to record the songs which is why I'm asking about a metronome because I plan to play/record with a click track.

Listen to the original tune and clap or tap the beat. Set the metronome to that speed. Let the metronome play as the track plays - it may need tweaking by a bpm or two (or more) if it slips out, but the main point is to listen how some notes are on the beat and some between. Obviously determine "where 1 is" - probably you'll be counting 1-2-3-4 from there (1-2-3 if it's a waltz). If you're not sure where 1 is, it's likely to be where most of the chords change. (It may not be the first note you hear, or the first word of the lyrics.)

You can do this bar by bar if necessary, on a loop, for complex rhythms. You have to be able to feel the basic pulse (perhaps by tapping your foot as you play) in order to put the notes where they need to go.
Old 06-15-2016, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
Listen to the original tune and clap or tap the beat. Set the metronome to that speed. Let the metronome play as the track plays - it may need tweaking by a bpm or two (or more) if it slips out, but the main point is to listen how some notes are on the beat and some between. Obviously determine "where 1 is" - probably you'll be counting 1-2-3-4 from there (1-2-3 if it's a waltz). If you're not sure where 1 is, it's likely to be where most of the chords change. (It may not be the first note you hear, or the first word of the lyrics.)

You can do this bar by bar if necessary, on a loop, for complex rhythms. You have to be able to feel the basic pulse (perhaps by tapping your foot as you play) in order to put the notes where they need to go.
Thank you!! Very helpful! It never occurred to me to do what you described.
Old 06-27-2016, 10:42 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusca View Post

I refuse to use a metronome.
You can't find a good one!

I've gone through 3 so far and each one its timing was worse than the last!

just kidding
Old 06-27-2016, 01:48 PM

When I use a metronome I set it at half speed and it clicks on 2 and 4 (in 4/4 time). Just like a drummer's hi-hat cymbal.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write