The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-24-2016, 04:42 AM

Where do you get your sheet music?

My brain and ears, as I can't read sheet music I just use my ears and musci theory skills to figure out the melodies.
Old 06-24-2016, 08:43 AM

I've used musicnotes.com a few times:

http://www.musicnotes.com/guitartab/
Old 06-24-2016, 02:38 PM
Charter Member

I have collections of arrangements purchased directly from the arrangers or those managing their estate, rather than the typical generic guitar books or Youtube videos.

From my perspective, use your ears to learn the melody and figure out the chords of tunes you want to arrange for solo fingerstyle guitar, and then transpose to fit the guitar (i.e. melody on top 2 or 3 strings, and maximize ability to use open strings where possible).

Do an arrangement, and then you will know what "questions" you would like answered by studying an arrangement of the same tune by an accomplished arranger. In other words, by doing an arrangement on your own before looking at the work of a professional arranger, you have sense of the process and that particular tune, so you then know what you are looking for in the arrangement and what you want to get from studying it. Whether you choose to learn to play that person's arrangement exactly as written is not essential to this process at all.

So, for me, rather than ONLY using my ear or ONLY looking at a printed arrangement, I much prefer a combined approach used intelligently, rather than mindlessly following the sheet music or spending years reinventing the wheel. To do this, you really need to understand how music works - not a bunch of BS esoteric theory, but the stuff of real music making, which is really much simpler. Also, I much rather have arrangements from some really skilled arrangers, stuff they play themselves, rather than some generic stuff dumbed down for easy play, so I can really see how these people think, and learn something of value from studying their work. It costs money to obtain these arrangements, but in the long run, it is a real education. When you have hundreds of unpublished arrangements covering a wide range of tunes from the same arranger, you get a real sense of how that person thinks.

I think the poster who is studying with Steven King is very fortunate indeed.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 06-26-2016, 12:29 PM

Default Two excellent sites

http://www.free-scores.com/index_uk.php3
classclef.com
Old 06-28-2016, 07:42 AM

The biggest flaw of any "commercially bought" arrangement (imo) is the excess amount of pages!!!!
I just did a re-arrangement of "since I fell for you", the person ordered it and got 6 pages, I condensed it to 2 pages, no different then the one they bought. Verses / choruses do not need to be scored over and over, just add the correct repeats.
All of my charts are done on sybillius notation software. I use a jazz font for uniform reading for all of my charts. I now have a library of over 300 songs from pop / rock / classical and mostly jazz.
Most of my charts are all contained to one page, the odd piece is expanded to two pages.
I do chart out full guitar solo's for my students as well and they can be 2-3 pages, but those are alway's memorized anyway.
I always remember buying the original "stairway to heaven" chart I bought in the early 80's, it was 17 pages??????
That one I condensed to two pages as well, and the full guitar solo is 2 pages.
Understanding and applying music theory is very helpful if you want to arrange charts. I find (arranging) also entrenches the memory of any song you choose to perform

Last edited by Dalegreen; 06-28-2016 at 07:54 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write