The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-25-2015, 03:00 PM

Default Impedance matching for the tech minded

I asked this question in another way but haven't got any responses. For the tech minded: I have a Platinum Pro preamp with an output impedance of 600ohms, from the xlr output. I am plugging that into the mic input on a Fishman mini. That input impedance is 2kohms. Is this asking for problems? Thanks! I appreciate ANY perspective!
Old 12-25-2015, 03:11 PM
Charter Member

You should be fine. The lower impedance output going into the higher impedance input is not a problem at all.

Moreover; the impedance range 600Ω to 10,000Ω is considered "Medium Impedance" and all components in this range will generally "play well together", especially when one goes from "lower into higher" (like you plan to).

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 12-25-2015, 03:58 PM

Thanks Ed-in-Ohio. That is what I thought, with research, but I don't trust myself to understand as well as I could/should.
Old 12-26-2015, 03:26 AM

Default Impedance matching for the tech minded

If I remember correctly, the idea of impedance matching (or at least optimising) is so that the equipment is question reduces the risk for actual current (as opposed to signal) flow. A higher impedance at the input would limit the risk for current (however small) travelling along the signal cable which would negatively affect the signal quality. So in other words, a higher impedance at the amp or mixer input is not a bad thing.

But I'm not an electrician or electronics expert and if I have got it totally wrong someone chip in here and put me right!
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 12-26-2015, 06:21 AM

The XLR output on most preamps, and certainly on your Fishman is designed to send a mic level signal to a mixing desk mic input. 600 ohms is a 'nominal' figure and most mics and DI outputs have an actual impedance of around 150ohms. Best practice is to have the 'load' impedance (i.e. the Loudbox's mic input) at least 10x the source (Platinum Pre) impedance. You have this with 150 ohms/2kohms so you'll be fine.

If anybody is interested there is a very good article here explaining impedance in relatively straightforward language.
Mountain D45 (mid '80s)
Brian Eastwood ES175/L5
Gibson Les Paul Custom (1975)
Brian Eastwood '61 Strat
Bitsa Strat with P90s (my main electric)
The Loar F5 Mandolin,
Samick A4 Mandolin
Epiphone Mandobird
Brian Eastwood '51 P Bass
NS Design Wav EUB
Giordano EUB
Old 12-27-2015, 08:23 PM

So is my sound being effected plugging my 3.6k ohm Lyric into my 1 Mohm acoustic play?

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-27-2015, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mischief View Post
So is my sound being effected plugging my 3.6k ohm Lyric into my 1 Mohm acoustic play?

Cheers

There's no impedance mismatch, since 1Mohm is about 277 times as high as 3.6Kohms. On the other hand, I'm surprised the Lyric's output impedance is that high. 1Kohm is more typical for an active pickup system. I'm curious as to where you found the info on the Lyric's output impedance. I couldn't find anything beyond an installation manual in the Support section of the Baggs website.

Last edited by guitaniac; 12-27-2015 at 09:08 PM.
Old 12-27-2015, 09:01 PM

Okay thanks for that. That was my fear because the lyric is so high.
I am happy with my final sound but I made some radical EQ cuts on some frequencies and if it was impart to some impedance issues I would try to address that first.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Old 12-27-2015, 09:39 PM

Impedance matching is something often misunderstood. For maximum power transfer and minimum noise from external sources, a matching source and load impedance is best. For sources with reactive impedances (series capacitance for a K&K style pickup and series inductance for a passive electric guitar pickup) it is usually better to optimize minimizing the effect of the source impedance by having a relatively high load impedance. A K&K pickup is unique in that there are three heads and if the load impedance is too high, the heads load each other which again lets the source impedance rear its ugly head :~). Microphones are typically "low" impedances, and so are the outputs of most mixers, but one is a very low voltage signal and the other quite a bit higher. So even the best impedance match can fail if the source is too low or too high an output voltage.

Bottom line is try it and if it sounds good then use it.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 01-04-2016 at 12:45 PM.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:45 PM

I'll 2nd Jonfields45 on this one. Yes, there is an impedance "mismatch" and yes, impedance matching will effectuate "maximum power transfer". But, that's not what you want in all circumstances.

In some motor and power transformer circuits, close matching is ideal to avoid efficiency losses. In audio signal transfers, you often find some mismatch and NOT loading the source renders the ideal tone. And, sometimes LOADING the source produces the ideal tone.

A good example of the latter is the pots used in some passive guitar pickup sets. In that case, not going for large value control pots reduces the signal and associated harmonics to a tame and enjoyable level.

The only time you REALLY don't want to go a large impedance mismatch is pushing your tube amp into too high an impedance device...like 4 ohm head into a 16 ohm cab. You could get away with it depending on the levels...but, you run a huge risk.

When you scale down to devices producing a line level or mic signal...you don't run much of a risk even if you inadvertently short a connection out. I won't say "all" devices are without risk...most are not though.

Cheers!
Brad

bradM - SW Ohio - love to pick!

<{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}><
Old 01-03-2016, 09:44 AM

Hi Jonfields and Myersbw,
Thanks for the information on impedance. I have a K & K mini and had bad results with LR Baggs para DI, which I had used many years on my under saddle pick ups and was happy with the results. I actually thought my cheaper guitars sounded much better than my Martin dread with K & k - when plugged in. When I did some research, I found the impedance mismatch a possible reason, but never really knew what this means. After many trials and almost changing pickups, I found a TC Helicon product (Play GTX and Play Acoustic) that was a match. The result was/is much better. Do you guys think adding a better match of the K & K pure preamp would help? Just looking to get a little more EQ in my chain.

Or As Jonfields said, "just try it and if it sounds good, use it".
Old 01-03-2016, 10:28 AM

The K&K sounds great into most amps, mixers, and preamps. But it will sound terrible if you put it into a mixer's line or mic input (too low an impedance which turns the K&K's series source capacitance into a nasty high pass filter). Now that problem is easy to avoid, however there is a more subtle problem with very high impedance loads of some amps, mixers, and preamps. If the input impedance is approaching 10M ohms, then the heads act as strapping capacitance on each other and bleed off the highs. There are relatively few devices with a high enough impedance to sound bad, but count my ZT Lunchbox Acoustic among them. Rather than buy an expensive new amp/mixer/preamp, here is the cheapo solution I keep in the gigbag with my K&K equipped Taylor:

A handy 1M ohm shunt resistor.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 01-04-2016 at 12:45 PM.
Old 01-03-2016, 10:54 AM

Thanks, Jon. Its very relevant to me that there's such a thing an an excessively high input impedance (for a particular passive pickup or active pickup system) which is detrimental to one's sound. Perhaps that explains why my passive PUTW I/O UST sounds better to me through the BBE Acoustimax preamp (2.2Mohms input impedance) than through my 1st generation Fishman Platinum Pro EQ (10Mohms input impedance).

I'm not a fan of the Acoustimax's Sonic Maximizer (I keep it turned off), but the preamp works very well with my passive pickups (I/O UST and Baggs Hex).
Old 01-03-2016, 09:31 PM

Jon...LOVE the improv using the 2nd jack & 1M resistor!!!

bradM - SW Ohio - love to pick!

<{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}><
Old 01-03-2016, 09:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
The K&K sounds great into most amps, mixers, and preamps...snip...however there is a more subtle problem with very high impedance loads of some amps, mixers, and preamps. If the input impedance is approaching 10M ohms, then the heads act as strapping capacitance on each other and bleed off the highs...snip...
Interesting. I was never crazy about how my K&K equipped guitars sounded through the Baggs Para DI preamp. They always sounded "just okay" to me. I wonder if the Baggs' 10MOhm input impedance had anything to do with that?

On the other hand, they sound great to me through the Fire-Eye Red-Eye preamp (1M Ohm input impedance), and even better to me directly into my Carvin AG200 amp set to Hi-Z (input impedance spec'ed as "greater than 500K ohms").

I think the takeaway is that although impedance matching is quite important, it is also quite complex, and is very much a "moving target".

Bottom line...Our ears don't lie. If it sounds good, it works.

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification