The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-09-2015, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTX View Post
Hi schataut -

No hiss at all ...

Interesting side note - the gig/ensemble I got this for is mainly two acoustic guitars, bass drums, three-part harmony. After our rehearsal, and the gig - my fingers were hurtin', as I don't play my Taylor terribly often, and not for 2+ hours at a clip (and what's easier to play than a Taylor!). So just to experiment, I played my TELECASTER thru the ToneDeq into the Bose Compact, and it sounded very good as an acoustic-ISH substitute. MAINLY using the (Fishman) piezo bridge pickups, but with a little Tele regular pickups blended it.. Actually more versatile, and certainly easier on the fingers!

Gets back to - even the best acoustic amplification still sounds AMPLIFIED. Sound coming out of a SPEAKER simply sounds different that sound coming out of WOOD!
Thank you for sharing the info and Telecaster experience. I am returning the second ToneDEQ and plan to go to guitar center and try out with SA220 and few other amp to figure out what is causing the hiss.
Old 11-15-2015, 12:19 AM
Charter Member

I had a Soloamp and gigged it a LOT for a few years. It eventually developed some crackling noises and I sent it back to Fishman. They took care of it and shipped it back. Very great service. My issue was that I noticed at a familiar patio gig at a local resort, the fishman sounded better 'nearfield'. It did not see to project all that well. I wound up opting for QSC K10's. They are not as convenient, but project well, are crystal clear and sound great.

Then I moved to a Fishman Loudbox Performer and it works just as well, if not better than the Solo amp. When I need more, I connect one QSC K10 and I am golden!

I also have experience the Bose L1 Compact system. It seems to carry better but you need an external mixer or Preamp to get the most from it. For an All-in-one solution, the Soloamp is hard to beat. But I do prefer that Loudbox performer.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 11-15-2015, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomaynor View Post
The times that I've used the SA220, set up time was approx. 2 minutes, perhaps.

Just unzip the bag, fold out the tripod, stick the Fishstick on it and plug it in, plug the mic in, and then plug the guitar in. Adjust levels, and that's it. Hard to beat for a solo act.
That's about it except I must say you're slow.

I second this post. Add to it the 29 pounds all up weight for great portability.
Old 11-16-2015, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
Then I moved to a Fishman Loudbox Performer and it works just as well, if not better than the Solo amp. When I need more, I connect one QSC K10 and I am golden!
I first got Loudbox Artist and was really happy with how the guitar sounded and loved all the onboard effects. However I did not like the amp for vocals. I spent about 3 weeks trying to tune it to my liking however failed. So I visited GC and instantly loved how SA220 sounded. I mostly play at home, sometimes at small parties and may be SA220 is a overkill but I just love how it wounds So I said overkill is not a bad thing and decided to get it.
Old 11-16-2015, 02:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schataut View Post
I first got Loudbox Artist and was really happy with how the guitar sounded and loved all the onboard effects. However I did not like the amp for vocals. I spent about 3 weeks trying to tune it to my liking however failed. So I visited GC and instantly loved how SA220 sounded. I mostly play at home, sometimes at small parties and may be SA220 is a overkill but I just love how it wounds So I said overkill is not a bad thing and decided to get it.
I went with the Loudbox Performer. I play acoustic through one channel and I sing through the other. In my opinion, the LB Performer is much more balanced and natural sounding. It is wonderful for Vocals. I gig with it regularly. I had a Soloamp for years, but find the LB Performer works just as well, if not better. Its cheaper and even easier to use.

If I ever need 'more', I use the DI out to a QSC K10 and I can cover any gig I've come across!
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 11-19-2015, 12:10 PM

I am also in the market for a SA220. Can I ask what people have been paying for them? The standard going new price seems to be around $999. I am seeing some demos on ebay for around $850. I have also found some used ones on craigslist for between $650 and $750.

Also, if one were to go with a used one, is there anything specific you would check out to make sure it is in working order, besides the obvious.

Thx,

John
Old 11-19-2015, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarky40 View Post
I am also in the market for a SA220. Can I ask what people have been paying for them? The standard going new price seems to be around $999. I am seeing some demos on ebay for around $850. I have also found some used ones on craigslist for between $650 and $750.

Also, if one were to go with a used one, is there anything specific you would check out to make sure it is in working order, besides the obvious.

Thx,

John
I got mine for $300 with one channel's XLR input not working; still worked fine in 1/4 inch jack, so no problems for voice and guitar. However, Fishman is great customer service. They sent me the $20 part with instructions on how to replace it, and now it works fine. $650 - $800 seems to be about the going price for used. Other than the issue with XLR output on mine, I've never really heard of any other issues you need to look for. Others may perhaps have more insight.

http://www.reverbnation.com/museric?...eader_icon_nav

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxt...-_xka6GsUr9v4Q

https://soundcloud.com/museric-1

Breedlove American C25/SSe
Delgado Candelas Jumbo
Eastman AC420
Eastman E10D
Eastman E10SS
Fender (MIM) Stratocaster
Old 12-29-2015, 12:31 AM

SA220s are going for $100 off the regular price for another week or so, I think, at Guitar Center, folks, bringing the price to $899. I'm strongly leaning toward getting another one so I can better cover larger venues -- although I've played many pretty good size venues indoors and out with just one and it's always done fine. By the way, I know there are people here who've used a pair of SA220s together for solo acts and I'd love to hear from them or get their names so I can PM them on any little tips they'd have for using them in pairs!

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 12-29-2015, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTX View Post
Hello NylonString -

SoloAmp is excellent for it's intended use - SOLO! Won't keep up with even a small ensemble, if that includes drums and bass. Probably ok with another acoustic guitar..

}
This has not been my experience, though I'm not just using a single unit. I've used two SA220's for about 5 years now as my bands PA system and it has been a champ, easy to set up, great sound. I do an 8 piece Hot Jazz and blues band, I run all vocals plus guitar trumpet, clarinet, trombone, tuba and washboard through the system using a QSC Touchmix currently. I've had other instruments in the band including mandolin, violin, banjo, accordion. We play with a full drum set and the bass player uses his own amp. The two SA220's have always provided more then enough volume for the small to medium venues we play, or small out door gigs.
Old 12-29-2015, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slewis View Post
SA220s are going for $100 off the regular price for another week or so, I think, at Guitar Center, folks, bringing the price to $899. I'm strongly leaning toward getting another one so I can better cover larger venues -- although I've played many pretty good size venues indoors and out with just one and it's always done fine. By the way, I know there are people here who've used a pair of SA220s together for solo acts and I'd love to hear from them or get their names so I can PM them on any little tips they'd have for using them in pairs!
Sorry, folks, apparently I was given incorrect info by the guy I spoke with at GC. No $100-off sale going on that I know of. I'm still shopping though!

-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 12-29-2015, 07:39 PM

Talking

.....just be patient. musicians friend periodically has 15% off sales....that's $150 off....delivered to your doorstep....with NO sales tax to boot....something else to consider.....while they may be a little pricey....they hold their value very well....so re-sale should still get you $600 or so....not that you'd want to sell it....I'm sure likin' mine....I play a Yamaha LL-16-12 string through my Fishstick....and it sounds MAGICAL!!
Old 12-30-2015, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgt178 View Post
.....just be patient. musicians friend periodically has 15% off sales....that's $150 off....delivered to your doorstep....with NO sales tax to boot....something else to consider.....while they may be a little pricey....they hold their value very well....so re-sale should still get you $600 or so....not that you'd want to sell it....I'm sure likin' mine....I play a Yamaha LL-16-12 string through my Fishstick....and it sounds MAGICAL!!
I always thought MF was owned by Guitar Center, or at least all one company, and that I've had to pay WA state sales tax on purchases I've made there, since GC does business in Washington. But I'll certainly look into it!

-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 12-31-2015, 07:10 PM

Pulled the trigger today on a second SA220 for my setup which will equip me better for larger venues and bigger outdoor gigs. Sweetwater matched the $899 GC sale price with free shipping and no tax. Really happy to have this two-tower capability; it'll sound great and look cool too...

-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 01-01-2016, 12:54 PM

Sean, please post some video of you and your two SAs in action. Enjoy!

cotten
Old 01-01-2016, 07:31 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by slewis View Post
I always thought MF was owned by Guitar Center, or at least all one company, and that I've had to pay WA state sales tax on purchases I've made there, since GC does business in Washington. But I'll certainly look into it!
MF is owned by GC.....but MF is online only....therefore....no sales tax.....YET....in Wisconsin....where I'm from....the governor is proposing sales tax on ALL online purchases....it hasn't passed yet.....and I hope it doesn't....regards.....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification