The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 03-12-2017, 05:01 AM

Default Mixing nylon & carbon

Hi

I currently have the EJ45s on, normal tension nylon, but I don't like the lack of balance in the tensions, basically the G and B strings are to floppy.

I've read a lot about people mixing a nylon set with a carbon G & B (maybe just a carbon G).

Would it be equally good to buy a carbon set, and just replace the E string with a nylon?

Everything I read talks about the effect of carbon on the trebles, do nylon and carbon basses sound vastly different, or is the difference minimal?

Any advice? I'm new to these strings. By the way, I don't play classical music, more finger picking folk, some African stuff, Bert Jansch, Joseph Spence, so I don't need a "classical sound".

Thanks
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos

Last edited by sirwhale; 03-12-2017 at 10:20 AM.
Old 03-13-2017, 05:57 PM

Whatever sounds good to your ear is right. Your style is yours and can be defined or redfined with your tone or timbre. Try different strings...and this can be a long term endeavor...not so much the cost per se, but you have to allow some time for strings to...take a set or fit in...so to speak. Don't be quick to judge. Your ear has to adjust to them.

It can be hard to find what you are looking for in a music store. Generally I have found there are not as many options for nylon strings as steel.

Asking advice about strings is kind of like asking a boater what kind of anchor they use. Everybody has an opinion and they are all valid.

I have settled on Daddario pro arte. They have a very informative web site that can give you direction in what might suit you. I use different half sets on different guitars.

Whatever you do, enjoy the ride. Try strings in half sets until you can dial your guitar in...

Best to you
D
Old 03-13-2017, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwhale View Post
Hi

I currently have the EJ45s on, normal tension nylon, but I don't like the lack of balance in the tensions, basically the G and B strings are to floppy.

I've read a lot about people mixing a nylon set with a carbon G & B (maybe just a carbon G).

Would it be equally good to buy a carbon set, and just replace the E string with a nylon?

Everything I read talks about the effect of carbon on the trebles, do nylon and carbon basses sound vastly different, or is the difference minimal?

Any advice? I'm new to these strings. By the way, I don't play classical music, more finger picking folk, some African stuff, Bert Jansch, Joseph Spence, so I don't need a "classical sound".

Thanks
I put D'Addario Pro-Arte EJ45FF (Dynacore basses, Carbon trebles) on my Cordoba. Those strings brought my C5 to life. I didn't like the Savarez that came on it, I thought they sounded dull and lifeless.

Cordoba C5 (2015)
Yamaha FS700S (2014)
Conn F-1512 (1977)
Epiphone EA-250 (1973)
Old 03-14-2017, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwhale View Post
Hi

Thanks
Carbon 3rd string with nylon 2nd and 1st are used by many classical players because a nylon 3rd can sometimes sound a bit 'tubby'.

I would suggest you try a higher tension treble set, Savarez New Cristal high tension, Augustine Regal come to mind for nylon sets. You might also like the brighter sound of a carbon treble set, like Oasis high tension or Savarez Alliance. Just buy a treble set from a place like Strings By Mail. You can experiment with the basses at another time.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:23 AM

sirwhale, Seaguar Premium Fishing Leader 60, 80 or 80, 100 for the b3 and g3.

Nylon or Nylgut e4 and b3 sound the best to me ears.

If you don't need a classical sound consider the Thomastik Infeld KR116 set or the Thomastik Infeld John Pearse Folk Set.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
sirwhale, Seaguar Premium Fishing Leader 60, 80 or 80, 100 for the b3 and g3.

Nylon or Nylgut e4 and b3 sound the best to me ears.

If you don't need a classical sound consider the Thomastik Infeld KR116 set or the Thomastik Infeld John Pearse Folk Set.
Jabberwocky, thanks

I have bought the John Pearse Folk Set, but didn't quite like the thin 1st string. I now see that the KR116 set has a different first string - the difference being a "rope core" instead of the "steel core" that I tried. is there a notable difference?

You also mentioned nylgut - I plan to buy the Aquila Alabastro set this weekend to compare to the Savarez Alliance I have on now. I have the high tension carbon set on, but I find the G to be quite "tubby".
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical