The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-15-2015, 07:56 AM

Default Dtar Solstice vs K&K quantum blender?

I just picked up a Red Eye duo the other day for my K&K trinity system. So, obviously I now know the Red Eye cannot supply phantom power to the mic, so I'm back to square one.

I've got the belt pack preamp that came with the Trinity system, and its ok, but I'd like a little more, I think... Both in terms of eq and sound.

I'm wondering about the quantum blender? I sold my DTAR Solstice, which I'm really kicking myself for now.. If the quantum blender is not the ticket, I'm thinking I need to go back to the solstice..

Either way, any thoughts would be really appreciated on the quantum or solstice in regards to being paired with the k&k mic/mini combo.

Thanks guys!
Mark
Old 02-15-2015, 08:09 AM

What about the Headway EDB2?

Or you can try to find a Rane AP13 (rack mounted). I bought one off eBay for 90$ and it sounds great and has all controls and connections I need..
Old 02-15-2015, 08:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourceforce View Post
I just picked up a Red Eye duo the other day for my K&K trinity system. So, obviously I now know the Red Eye cannot supply phantom power to the mic, so I'm back to square one.

I've got the belt pack preamp that came with the Trinity system, and its ok, but I'd like a little more, I think... Both in terms of eq and sound.

I'm wondering about the quantum blender? I sold my DTAR Solstice, which I'm really kicking myself for now.. If the quantum blender is not the ticket, I'm thinking I need to go back to the solstice..

Either way, any thoughts would be really appreciated on the quantum or solstice in regards to being paired with the k&k mic/mini combo.

Thanks guys!
Mark
Hi Mark…

They are equal in audio quality. The Quantum is an awkward form factor (for just using it if you are going to actively adjust it) and lacks many features found on the DTAR, or the Raven PMB-I or II preamps. It costs more, and offers less.

As for features, the DTAR will outperform in nearly every area. It has both XLR and ¼" inputs with individual gain controls, and ¼" and multiple XLR outputs, (both mono and stereo). It has switchable phantom for each channel, switchable phase, an effects loop with a volume control, a tuner output and a mute control. You can even run the mute by footswitch.

All the DTAR controls are marked on the front of the unit, and on the Quantum they are on the top edge of the unit, which means if it's at eye level, you cannot see what controls you are running. In addition, the Quantum channels are laid out side-by-side and not on top of each other.

And the Quantum is more expensive than the DTAR yet produces no better sound. I had a Headway EDB-1, and the lack of individual channel tone adjustment was what caused me to sell it. I think one is in the same boat with the EDB-2.

I find compelling reasons to own a DTAR (I do) and none to own a Quantum. In playing with a Quantum, it was not built as solidly, nor as intuitive to operate, nor did it have all the options I find myself needing from time to time. And it sounded no better than either my Raven PMB-I or PMB-II nor did it sound any better than my DTAR Solstice.

I'd recommend going back to a DTAR Solstice. You won't find a better dual source blender/preamp these days (early 2015) this side of $1200 (which is the going price for Pendulum SPS-1 rack mount preamps these days).

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 02-15-2015, 09:01 AM

Thanks for the thoughts guys. I do need separate channel eq, so it looks like the headway does not have that feature. I was happy with my solstice, but wasn't using it so I traded it in when I bought my drumset... Really kicking myself now.
I'll pick up another one tomorrow...
Thanks guys!!
Mark
Old 02-17-2015, 08:32 AM

I picked up the Soltice yesterday used for 125 bucks! With the gig bag! I'm pretty stoked about that part... Anyway, I'm happy with the combination of the K&K trinity with the Solstice. Still needs some tweaking, but all in all I'm pretty thrilled! Thanks for the thoughts guys!
Mark
Old 02-17-2015, 09:12 AM

Wow, you got a deal!

Glad you solved the problem.

I was just going to add, and I admit that I haven't tried the other preamps you mentioned, but the Solstice was my first choice for a multi-channel preamp. Its form-factor isn't necessarily "pedal-board friendly", even though I mounted it there, but it's *extremely* versatile.

Cary
Old 02-17-2015, 11:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I picked up the Soltice yesterday used for 125 bucks! With the gig bag! I'm pretty stoked about that part... Anyway, I'm happy with the combination of the K&K trinity with the Solstice. Still needs some tweaking, but all in all I'm pretty thrilled! Thanks for the thoughts guys!
Mark
Hi Mark…
What a deal!!

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 02-17-2015, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villamarzia View Post

Or you can try to find a Rane AP13 (rack mounted). I bought one off eBay for 90$ and it sounds great and has all controls and connections I need..
Doubt you will find a Rane for that price here. They normally sell in the $250 to $300 range. I paid $275 for mine about a year ago. It is an awesome pre.
kwh
2022 Yamaha FG5
2010 Taylor DN3
Old 02-17-2015, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendallhadden View Post
Doubt you will find a Rane for that price here. They normally sell in the $250 to $300 range. I paid $275 for mine about a year ago. It is an awesome pre.
kwh
Yep, I was lucky also because with that price I won a bundle: rane, feedback eliminator by Sabine and a Peavey EQ. I dumped the latter two for a zero shipping charge. It was on the UK eBay. Never underestimate some deals you can get off eBay, if you are not in a hurry and never also underestimate the amount of junk being sold there. Thanks God, there Rane is in perfect conditions and, yes, it is awesome! I also run it thru my home hi-fi (which has some specs which make it compatible with a guitar preamp) and the sound is so good.. I keep turning on and off the volume to try to discern among the sound I hear from my guitar and the sound coming out of the speakers... I blows away my K&K+mic->redeye->schertler amp set... Just blows it away!
Old 02-17-2015, 01:48 PM

You really lucked up on the deal. Congrats, I definitely would have jumped on that deal. The power supplies for the Rane pres are more than you paid for the entire package and that is if you can find them.
kwh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villamarzia View Post
Yep, I was lucky also because with that price I won a bundle: rane, feedback eliminator by Sabine and a Peavey EQ. I dumped the latter two for a zero shipping charge. It was on the UK eBay. Never underestimate some deals you can get off eBay, if you are not in a hurry and never also underestimate the amount of junk being sold there. Thanks God, there Rane is in perfect conditions and, yes, it is awesome! I also run it thru my home hi-fi (which has some specs which make it compatible with a guitar preamp) and the sound is so good.. I keep turning on and off the volume to try to discern among the sound I hear from my guitar and the sound coming out of the speakers... I blows away my K&K+mic->redeye->schertler amp set... Just blows it away!
2022 Yamaha FG5
2010 Taylor DN3
Old 01-02-2016, 04:18 PM

I am in the buying stage of a K&K Trinity system and thought the Blender pre amp appeared to be lacking. I was wondering how you'd use the Solstice pre amp with the K&K Trinity since you only have 1 1/4" output that carries both channels on a stereo cable, but it looks like the Solstice needs 2 independent inputs to blend, where the Blender pre has the mic channel in the tip and the pickup in the sleeve part of the stereo plug. How can the Solstice do the same thing?
Old 01-02-2016, 04:28 PM

I have the Trinity and the Dtar Solstice and its hard to beat. If funds aren't a problem the Grace Felix seems to have everything I can imagine, including the often missed 12 volt phantom power. But this is admiring it from the manual, it's 3X the Solstice.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom

Last edited by Doubleneck; 01-02-2016 at 04:33 PM.
Old 01-02-2016, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
I have the Trinity and the Dtar Solstice and its hard to beat. If funds aren't a problem the Grace Felix seems to have everything I can imagine, including the often missed 12 volt phantom power. But this is admiring it from the manual, it's 3X the Solstice.
Can you explain how the Solstice can work with the Trinity system if there are no stereo inputs on the Solstice? How can it split the stereo signal of the Trinity system that inputs into a pre amp with just 1 stereo cord?
Old 01-02-2016, 06:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Thanks guys!
Mark
Hi Mark…
The DTAR Solstice will give you 4 inputs (versus 2 on the Quantum), has more output options, and can phase shift channels individually and allow the mic to reside on either channel.

If you plug into the top input on the DTAR the mic will occupy a different gain/tone row than if you plug into the bottom row. The DTAR also permits you to plug in an XLR into either channel, and use the DTAR as a mixer for two instruments at the same time (two mono sources at once). You can create instant dual source rigs by using an external mic and the built in pickup.

DTAR has an adjustable loop effects return channel, and it has a tuner output and a true mute for tuning or other times when you just need to kill the signal to the amp/board.

The form factor of the DTAR is far friendlier. I can balance it just fine on top of my amp. The Quantum is a long narrow device. On the DTAR the channels are oriented one above the other, and it can be read from the front since all the knobs are labeled. The Quantum is only labeled on the top edge of the unit, and you have to be higher than the unit to read which knobs are which.

The DTAR permits the phantom to be assigned to either channel. It also has a more elaborate patch bay on the rear of the unit for interfacing with systems/amps, tuners, recorders etc.

The Headway EDB has a huge flaw (to my way of thinking). You have to assign the same tone setting to both sources at the same time. You cannot plug both a mic and pickup in and EQ them separately. I owned an EDB-1, and that is ultimately what led me to sell it. When I run dual-source rigs, the EQ should not be shared.

I think of the EDB-2 as a great mono preamp with extra input choices.

The Raven PMB-I or PMB-II will give you most of what a DTAR Solstice does in a battery operated package. It doesn't have XLR input, but the Ravens come up for sale at around $250 on a regular basis. I have one of each, and that is my small dual-source rig. The DTAR Solstice goes to my big gigs.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

Old 01-02-2016, 10:18 PM

This brings up an important question, though. The D-tar Solstice appears to be the best preamp (at least in terms of features/ease of use). But as I understand it, the D-tar supplies +15V phantom power, while the Raven and the Quantum each supply +9V.

The Trinity condenser mic is supposed to get +9V. But sourcefource says his is working great with +15V.

How much difference does the phantom power voltage make? I want to do something similar, but I haven't gotten a preamp yet, so this is of great interest to me.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification