The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-16-2014, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi ukejon...
My considerations for both my Raven PMB-I & PMB-II and my DTAR Solstice had to do with:
  • Function
  • Quality
  • Layout
  • Readability on a dark stage
  • Connectivity/Interface options for amps and PA systems

As with guitars, my live sound is about tone and little-to-nothing to do with the cosmetics. I would not have cared if it were painted lime green with pink accents (I know how to dismantle cases and repaint them).

The DTAR Solstice hits home runs in every area with my areas of focus. The audience never sees anything but the back of mine...which is fully outfitted, and sound techs love it! And both of my Ravens, and my DTAR Solstice cost less than most people pay for a Baggs Venue or Radial PZ Tonebone.

The one-channel-above-the-other tone/volume adjustments from the front (and mute) are well laid out, easy to identify, and the preamp section is amazing.
(DTAR Solstice on bottom, Raven middle, K&K Trinity top)

I'm still also using Raven PMB units which are over 10 years old without issues, and there is something to be said for quality products which continue to work well despite a decade of road work. DTAR is in that category.

I do hope some companies step up and develop a modern version with at least the same quality as a Raven or Solstice of a dual-source preamp designed for providing phantom power to internal mics, full interface with amps/pa systems, and separate tone controls, phase, true mute, & ground lift.

The Headway EDB-2 fails for me in that it doesn't give one separate channel tone adjustment. Deal killer for me… also the "Mute" is a hard slider switch (not detent) and on my EDB-1 it popped when I engaged it.

The K&K Quantum falls short for lack of key features and it's form factor (long and narrow with all labels on the top surface so if it's rack mounted the labels disappear). No ground lift, nor mute.

I'm hopeful someone who actually plays dual source units will step up to the plate and work with a designer to develop a blender/preamp with as good functions as both the Solstice, and Raven blenders which can be battery, phantom, or power supply powered.

Larry, of course your live tone has nothing to do with the look of the unit. You seem to have missed the part of my sentence that says it is a "great device" and I never at all inferred that the cosmetics were a deal breaker. In fact, just used a Solstice at a gig last month. I was merely making an observation about the decidedly retro styling of this device, which the company apparently is redesigning. Cosmetically, I love 70s design and just set up a full blown and fully usable 1970 museum period room. Will be interesting to see if the folks at DTAR/Seymour Duncan keep the retro aesthetic intact.

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 12-16-2014, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukejon View Post
…Cosmetically, I love 70s design and just set up a full blown and fully usable 1970 museum period room. Will be interesting to see if the folks at DTAR/Seymour Duncan keep the retro aesthetic intact.
HI uj...

As long as we don't have to wear Bell-bottoms with Paisley shirts when we gig…

It will be interesting to see what happens to any redesign/repackaging of their products.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-16-2014, 10:32 AM

I guess it certainly wasn't made for this but I wouldn't go without my Solstice

Cary
Old 12-21-2014, 07:16 PM

Default Solstice/Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
I saw that DTAR products will be discontinued. Those that want a new Solstice or Equinox should grab them while they are still available. Like Raven Labs, I suspect used prices will probably go up a bit and 10 years from now they will be sought after and fondly remembered. Hopefully, DTAR will make arrangements with a third party for long term servicing, like Ravens Labs did. To many manufacturers have not done something like this when they discontinued a product.
A little off topic, but...Does anyone know of a reliable service facility to repair a Raven PMBII? I have a Solstice that I bought to replace my Raven, but I've always liked the Raven better; especially since the Raven is battery operated.

J. Taylor
Old 12-21-2014, 07:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phastrone View Post
A little off topic, but...Does anyone know of a reliable service facility to repair a Raven PMBII? I have a Solstice that I bought to replace my Raven, but I've always liked the Raven better; especially since the Raven is battery operated.
There was (still is?) a guy named Kevin who took over servicing for all of the Raven Labs 1/2 rack space products when Steve closed shop about 10 years ago. I sent him a PMB-1 for servicing and modding. He did a great job at a fair price. Unfortunately, I can't find his contact info. Steve Rabe would know, if you can contact him.

There's nothing surprising in the PMBII design. It's pretty much off the shelf parts. Just about any competent amp tech could service the unit.
Old 05-08-2015, 12:51 PM

This is interesting news (Dtar being discontinued)....Two weeks ago I was so impressed with the used Mama bear I got on CL for $120 that I immediately snapped up a second one and an Equinox. I'm building an acoustic pedalboard and it's apparent the Dtar products are sort of awkward - are you supposed to keep the EQuinox on a flattened music stand? pedal format would be cool - but I can't really get on my knees as well.
Old 07-20-2015, 12:21 AM

Unhappy Dtar to leave the room

I am sad to hear that. I have just bought a sadducee for my lxk2 martin. It really boosts the mic'd sound nicely, and is tolerable without mic too. Good output for a passive pickup.
Old 07-20-2015, 07:28 AM

My understanding is that Rick Turner sold his share to Seymour Duncan and is no longer involved with D-Tar.

I should be getting my Felix by the end of the week, or perhaps the following and plan to take it to Wolf Trap to put it through the PA (L'Acoustic VDOSC Line Array, Lake Processors, Lab Gruppen amps, Digico SD7 console) and listen to it with both something simple as the Radial J48 as well as the Felix, set flat for an instrument with a K&K. I don't have any of the other preamp-di's mentioned to A/B them. I'll post my results as soon as I get a chance and I'll include the impressions of my colleagues there.

The D-Tar stuff is great in the <$600 price point.
Old 07-20-2015, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dberkowitz View Post

I should be getting my Felix by the end of the week, or perhaps the following and plan to take it to Wolf Trap to put it through the PA
Looking forward to hearing about your experience.
Old 07-20-2015, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dberkowitz View Post
I should be getting my Felix by the end of the week..
The D-Tar stuff is great in the <$600 price point.
Ditto.. looking forward to hearing your report.

I've used a DTAR Solstice with a Schertler Jam150 extension (powered speaker) for awhile and I'm pretty happy with it. I may not be able to hear the difference with my Sunrise and K&K equipped guitars or maybe I will, but I still want a Felix if it makes any sense at all.
Old 07-21-2015, 09:34 AM
Charter Member

So what's the status on DTAR? any new products under Seymore Duncan?

Goodall Jumbo Royal Hawaiian

Merill & Co C-41

Merill & Co OM-18
Old 07-21-2015, 10:01 AM

Still in development.
Old 07-21-2015, 10:15 AM

Last night I stumbled across the DTAR Wavelenth system which I pulled out of one of my guitars. I just haven't had the heart to put it on ebay. It served me awfully well for $120.

I wish Rick Turner all the best, whatever he's up to now.
Old 07-21-2015, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moga View Post
Nothing new yet—last I heard the new+improved Solstice is top priority. The pickups are still around (well, at least the Wavelength and Multi-Source), and they're sticking with "DTAR" for now.

John
• AGF-only discounts
Free Shipping + Free Returns
Shoreline Rewards
Videos
• Guitars from Taylor | Mcilroy | Larrivee
• Stage gear from K&K | Fire-Eye

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/07...s/namm_x_6.jpg
Old 07-22-2015, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moga View Post
I heard they're gonna change the brand name to RA-DAR (Rebranding Advice - Duncan Acoustic Research).

Last edited by Side Man; 07-23-2015 at 08:22 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification