The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-21-2017, 11:11 AM

Default Looping

So today I decided I wanted to start experimenting with looping. Haven't bought a pedal yet, but downloaded Loopy from the istore. Looks very cool. Anybody else tried this? I just love the sounds and beats you can make on an acoustic guitar.
Old 02-21-2017, 02:57 PM

Thumbs up There Loopers & then there are LOOPERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBodd View Post
So today I decided I wanted to start experimenting with looping. Haven't bought a pedal yet, but downloaded Loopy from the istore. Looks very cool. Anybody else tried this? I just love the sounds and beats you can make on an acoustic guitar.
I used a Digitech GNX4 . It was good, it was stolen .

Now I'm ready to go for a more versatile unit . I was thinking Line 6 JM4 it was the runner up .

T.C. Helicon's Vocal Live 3 Extreme is what is on my target . Next month I pull the trigger .

This is a good idea of it's capabilities :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwzSK0rh9bo

It's for the performing musician .

EX :

HR

Life has always been interesting to me

Old 02-22-2017, 02:25 AM

Ditto or Ditto X2 seems to be the gold standard for loopers. I see them everywhere. I have the X2 for the dedicated stop switch since I hate tap dancing.
Loopers are a fun tool that can help you progress and makes just messing around a lot more fun.
Get one, you wont regret it.
Old 02-22-2017, 11:14 AM

I have T.C. Helicon's Acoustic Live with the loop feature. It works well when in loop mode but it's a real pain getting into loop mode and, when you're in, you can't get out to change the vocal effects.

Way too much tap dancing for me. I'm looking at the T.C. Helicon Ditto so I can loop guitar parts; very simple pedal and ideal for live use.
Old 02-22-2017, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homme de fer View Post
I have T.C. Helicon's Acoustic Live with the loop feature. It works well when in loop mode but it's a real pain getting into loop mode and, when you're in, you can't get out to change the vocal effects.

Way too much tap dancing for me. I'm looking at the T.C. Helicon Ditto so I can loop guitar parts; very simple pedal and ideal for live use.
I would have agreed until I bought the TC helicon switch three and it's a revelation, it makes using the playacoustic looper far easier, in fact I now loop live at gigs when I wouldn't have thought of doing it before.
Old 02-23-2017, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_mac View Post
I would have agreed until I bought the TC helicon switch three and it's a revelation, it makes using the playacoustic looper far easier, in fact I now loop live at gigs when I wouldn't have thought of doing it before.
You mean, there is an add on pedal that makes access to the looper easier? I'm going to look that up.
Old 02-24-2017, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homme de fer View Post
You mean, there is an add on pedal that makes access to the looper easier? I'm going to look that up.
It is a three button pedal that simply pulls into the back of the PAcoustic and each switch is assignable, I use record/play on one , stop/undo on another and guitar boost on the third.

I couldn't use the looper in a gig situation without it.
Cheers Steve
Old 02-24-2017, 06:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBodd View Post
I haven't used the software you're speaking of but use loopers quite a bit. I think it'll be soon, you'll be looking for a pedal looper.

My favorite thus far is the TC Electronics X2. It's very accurate sounding and easy to operate. When do decide to get a stompbox looper, I encourage you to get one with a dedicated stop/clear button; basically a 2 button/pedal looper. Some have other buttons that allow you to select different loops with your foot. A single button looper requires a little timing coordination combination that's a tricky for me.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:15 AM

I've been using a Ditto X2 for a few years now. The dedicated stop button is really a must for playing live. They have an X4 now that allows you to do 2 loops. Also, there's no memory in the Ditto. They are designed for on-the-fly looping.
I also have an older Jam Man Solo from DigiTech. You can store 16 hours of material in this pedal when you add an SD card. So your decision depends on how you want to use the looper.
If you want to pre-record loops, then a DigiTech or Boss will suit you better. I would definitely recommend following the advice here concerning the dedicated stop button. Stepping on the thing twice to stop it while playing, singing, and trying to time it just right is a real pain.
There are a lot of choices available, including software loopers like Mobius and even Ableton Live. Here's a link that reviews a whole bunch of loop pedals.

http://www.livelooping.org/tools/pedals/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification