The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-27-2016, 12:05 PM

Default Chord Buddy Learning System: Yeah Or Nay?

I have been thinking about getting the Chord Buddy Learning System to teach my grandson guitar. I was just wondering if any of you guys have any experience with it and if so, would you recommend it for beginners?
Old 06-27-2016, 12:25 PM

Honestly, I think it depends on the age of the child.

If they are young enough to really not have a prayer of fingering chords for real not to mention dealing with the discomfort then I think it WOULD be worth it - to expose them to the enjoyment of sounds they CAN make.

Any person old enough to finger chords and endure some discomfort I think would be better served by avoiding it because ultimately they will have to go through the real way eventually. And the sooner they start, the sooner they'll get there.

So in my humble opinion ages 8 and under would be a good candidate for it.
Old 06-28-2016, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfq722 View Post
Honestly, I think it depends on the age of the child.

If they are young enough to really not have a prayer of fingering chords for real not to mention dealing with the discomfort then I think it WOULD be worth it - to expose them to the enjoyment of sounds they CAN make.

Any person old enough to finger chords and endure some discomfort I think would be better served by avoiding it because ultimately they will have to go through the real way eventually. And the sooner they start, the sooner they'll get there.

So in my humble opinion ages 8 and under would be a good candidate for it.
Thank you, appreciate your reply and advice very much.
Old 06-29-2016, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadcutter View Post
I have been thinking about getting the Chord Buddy Learning System to teach my grandson guitar. I was just wondering if any of you guys have any experience with it and if so, would you recommend it for beginners?
Full disclosure, I had to look this thing up, so do not have any personal experience with it. Honestly, I can't think of anyone I would recommend this to, if I was interested in their gaining even the most fundamental appreciation for playing guitar. It basically turns a guitar into a really bad imitation of an autoharp. An autoharp is really a better instrument than one of these things on a guitar.

In order for anyone, at any age, to successfully pursue playing music, they need to have some level of desire. Whether it's to hear themselves make music; please their teacher, parents, grandparents etc; impress friends or the opposite gender....any of these are perfectly valid. Assuming that desire exists, the best thing you can do is cultivate it. That may not even mean getting him a guitar right off the bat, but reinforcing the idea that being able to play music is cool. Concerts, pickin' parties, new music around the house, in the car; seeing other kids playing music, like at the bluegrass festival I was at last weekend. Anything to help build the stoke. And if he want a guitar, definitely go for it. Now if he wants a fiddle...?

Sorry for the rant, just felt compelled to share my opinion.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write